Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christchurch reconstruction work?

Options
  • 06-09-2010 12:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭

By news reports it sounds like there will be NZD 1.5 Billion worth of remedial works needed in Christchurch. That's an awful lot of many hours. There might be a silver lining to this disaster for any Irish tradies in Aus/NZ looking for work?

EDIT:Fixed city name.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭FreeAnd..

Why would there be all that work in Wellington?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

FreeAnd.. wrote: »
    Why would there be all that work in Wellington?
    Fixed that. Gimme a break, I've never had the pleasure of crossing the Tasman yet! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

ballooba wrote: »
    Fixed that. Gimme a break, I've never had the pleasure of crossing the Tasman yet! :)

Yeah thats our reconstruction work. You stay away from it!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

I'd wait til the aftershicks:) stopped before I started pourin concrete :D

I'd wait til the aftershicks:) stopped before I started pourin concrete :D

Good thinking. After afew shots of that stuff you would be in no state to get the tolerences right. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

ballooba wrote: »
    By news reports it sounds like there will be NZD 1.5 Billion worth of remedial works needed in Christchurch. That's an awful lot of many hours. There might be a silver lining to this disaster for any Irish tradies in Aus/NZ looking for work?

EDIT:Fixed city name.

Smart thinking!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,940 ✭✭✭pclancy

There was chat about that on the radio today with lots of local builders eager to get stuck in, its been hard times for the south island of late with some big financial losses and closures so they badly need this stimulus, as unfortunate it might be for those who lost property etc. I would not count on there being tons of work though nor easy to get visas for jobs not on the skills shortage lists.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

IMO alot of this work will be done locally. There will be no mass influx of contractors.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

Not really thinking of the ones coming into the country trying to get work.....I'm thinking more of the Irish ones already there living in and around the city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 c4isTheAnswer

I'm keen on helping out with reconstruction efforts, and am skilled as a survey chainman. It's a bit hard to find info especially when you consider that I come from Alaska. Who do I ask about for info on helping out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

I'm keen on helping out with reconstruction efforts, and am skilled as a survey chainman. It's a bit hard to find info especially when you consider that I come from Alaska. Who do I ask about for info on helping out?

Ah a volunteer prepared to come and help out for free, that's the spirit. Good man.

c4isTheAnswer you are truly a godsent.
    Your determination to provide your services free of charge is so strong you are willing to go up against your government and their secretive regime. They are hiding all the info about on helping out with reconstruction efforts in a guarded igloo fortress but thats not going to stop you.
    Well done to you sir

Advertisement