Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Suzuki Grand Vitara

• 06-09-2010 12:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I'm in the market for a new vehicle with a bit of towing capacity (twin axle trailer up to about 1 tonne) and want to keep the costs down also. Thanks to Mr. Gormley's recent announcements regarding commercial vehicles being used privately it now looks like I'll be staying away from the crew cab types.:( I've just been looking at a lot of 2.0TD Grand Vitaras on various sites. Can anyone give me any kind of advice on them. Are they reliable, what are they like to pull a trailer, economy etc, etc. I was impressed with the spaciousness the XL-7 model seems to offer. Anyone have experience of this model. All info greatly received.

Thanks,
    Chalky

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭triskell

I have a '06 grand vitara 3 years and am very impressed with its pulling power. I use it regulary with a twin axle trailer (over a tonne of a load) its used for foxing and deer hunting, great off road okay its not defender class but constantly suprises me at some of places its sailed through. its perm 4 wheel drive which makes it hard enough on fuel. it hasn't let me down in 3 years but i have had a few problems with emision filters causing warning lights to come, got it fixed under garage 1 year warranty first time but last time it cost me €600.
    The new ones are in the higher tax bracket, because emissions are around 197 mark.
    would i buy a new one? yes i would

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

Don't think I've ever heard any thing much bad about them, more of a proper 4x4 then the the similar size competition without the bulk or dire fuel economy of the bigger 4x4s.

Your problem triskell was I assume the Diesel Particulate Filer (DPF)? From what I've heard these mostly fail through not getting enough long runs to burn off the soot, lots of short journeys really kill them, what did the dealer advise you?

Yep you're bang on the button, he mentioned all that about short runs, but short is very relative the average daily run is 30k to work and 30k back, that was the original story about short runs now he's contacted suzuki to check what else it could be. Its dropin power and slightly surging, it dosent inspire confidence in overtaking. its a pity because its very competent in every other way

The surging is probably down to the extra fuel going in to burn off the soot once it gets hot enough. 30km may not be enough and a weekly longer blast on motorway would help (but not much help if you live miles from a decent road!)

DPFs are a downside of meeting Euro emissions targets, in the UK low mileage users are advised to buy petrol vehicles but I don't suppose a petrol GV is even sold here because of the tax implications (and petrol being 10p/litre dearer). DPF complaints often appear in letters to the motoring sections of the UK weekend papers.

DPFs are a downside of meeting Euro emissions targets, in the UK low mileage users are advised to buy petrol vehicles but I don't suppose a petrol GV is even sold here because of the tax implications (and petrol being 10p/litre dearer). DPF complaints often appear in letters to the motoring sections of the UK weekend papers.[/QUOTE]

How serious is it to run it with dpf warning light on? can a blocked DPF do damage to the engine? or is it a warning to the driver that its the filter is not doing it's job

• Advertisement

Thanks a million bud, got alot of straight info from those links l have to see what suzuki dealer dose about it now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭kincaid

my friends got a 2007 one ,its 1,9 , will be changing it soon but they are not really a proper 4*4 as underpowered and a bit light too he says but suppose if you only doing light towing from time to time they be grand

Advertisement