Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lightning in Barna 2ish Mon morning

Options
  • 06-09-2010 2:28am
    Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Bloody hell I was cooking a late night snack and as I'm removing the delicious Chicken'n'Ham Pastry from the Oven I see this light out the back-garden window (Frosted Glass so wasn't sure if it was a neighbours window or someone sneaking around the back with a flashlight) so there I am fumbling around looking out to see if we're being broken into when suddenly the Thunder rolls.

It's storming out here - Thing is I actually love when its like this... From a spectators view anyways, not that I'd want it to be stormy all the time :rolleyes:

I know it's 2:30am and not many others (sane, anyway) are awake at this time but dayam, take all the lightning precautions and whatever else comes it - There be a storm brewing.

If you're the paranoid type who hates this type of thing.... Well... "AHHHHH RUN FOR TAYLORS HILL IT'S GONNA BE LIKE 2012!" etc etc etc

EDIT:
    Three strikes now, very VERY bloody loud and not much between the sound and the light so I presume it's somewhere close.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Holy **** a lightning bolt just went struck near to my house in Barna, sounded like a tank cannon going off :eek:! Set the car alarm off - got wet turning it off :(

That was the loudest piece of nature I have ever heard - it was eerie to hear the sound emanating out from where I was instead of the usual roll of of thunder coming from one direction

Some weather tonight...the road from Knocknacarra Cross to Barna has severe flooding on it when I drove out here about an hour ago.

Seems to have moved away from the house, there is a bigger delay between flashes and thunder. Phew....

Not to sound like a nancy but that was bloody scary what I saw and heard, almost instant noise with the flash and it was very bright. As a precaution I unplugged a load of appliances from the the wall.....eek!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

I just came here to make this topic. Our house was actually vibrating, it was so close. Went out to have a few cigarettes and it was scary if I'm honest, never heard thunder that loud or close before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

Its crazy, I've seen 5 or 6 ligthning strikes so far! :eek: Calming down a little bit but still raining pretty heavy! I kinda like it too though for some reason :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭confuseddotcom

Not lightning where I am (possibly yet, but gettin' kinda stormy now,) but rain is really really loud. :confused: Hard to sleep with bed under window lol! :eek::(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

Holy **** a lightning bolt just went struck near to my house in Barna, sounded like a tank cannon going off :eek:! Set the car alarm off - got wet turning it off ......

Whatever turns you on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

scary stuff - house was shaking badly with the first clap of thunder - I thought it must have hit close by...amazing display of nature though!

Not so much fun are the roads this morning or the idiot drivers who refuse to accept that the roads may be wet and dangerous, and still drive too close...ggaaaah.

ErnieBert wrote: »
    Whatever turns you on

:pac: Heh :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Shared the living crap out of me as I had the window open. Even the lightning lasted for longer than a flash I counted one of the claps at 15 seconds. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

yes very big storm and you could read a book with the lightning, it was that bright and long. It woke me up - I actually thought it was a car crash outside with the first clap of thunder - it was so loud, long and right over the house. Loved it tho

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Woke me right up it did

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

In Rahoon, and the house actually vibrated. Without doubt, the loudest clap of thuner I've ever heard.

Unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

+1.

Scared the bejaysus outa me. Woke on the first clap of thunder thinking the roof was falling in, the fork lightning seemed to have 1-3 branches each time, and all off the car alarms were going off. Terrifying.

I'm so tired today! Damn you storms!

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bobbytables

+1 I was dozing off and that first clap of thunder was unreal, never heard anything like it. Got up to rescue my electronic goodies as all were still plugged in.

It moved away pretty quick though. Love a good storm, but Jesus that was intense for a few mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Was walking home from town in the torrential rain just before the lightning and thunder started - it made it as far as Newcastle too, it seems. It had all stopped before 3ish, so I imagine the hordes of drunken revelers in cps got home safe and dry..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

Bloody hell but that was the loudest thunder I have ever heard, I counted around 8 claps of thunder with numerous lightning flashes. Never heard the windows in the house rattle before but they rattled last night.

Wonder if we will get anymore love a good storm :D

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Nuggles

Last night wasn't the worst I've ever heard. Maybe because it's the first proper storm in a few months, people's memory gets hazy.

They forget what a real storm is like

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

Like kraggy, Im in Rahoon and the initial few thunderclaps literally had the house creaking and the roof rattling also one of the bolts i saw head on smashing in the bay at Salthill just a few hundred metres out from Blackrock. Crazy stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Gingganggooley

ZorbaTehZ wrote: »
    I just came here to make this topic. Our house was actually vibrating, it was so close. Went out to have a few cigarettes and it was scary if I'm honest, never heard thunder that loud or close before.

+1 never heard thunder that loud before!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

I live on top of a hill in Boleybeg (near Barna)

The house was utterly shaking. Shaking I tells ya.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭confuseddotcom

+1 I was dozing off and that first clap of thunder was unreal, never heard anything like it. Got up to rescue my electronic goodies as all were still plugged in.

It moved away pretty quick though. Love a good storm, but Jesus that was intense for a few mins.

Tsk tsk wasting electricity "thingies" AND being un-safe in a storm. Shame on you!! :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

I'm in Claregalway and christ I've never heard the likes of it before. Just as I was going to bed it started...feckin loud!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭slave2thewage

I was just dozing off when it started. And just as soon as it stopped, the first batch of the drunk students were going by. Thank gawd for sleeping pills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Can without a doubt say that last nights heavy Rain and Lightning and Thunder was indeed EPIC, very very cool the force of Nature.:cool:

Thunder na na na na na na na na...Thunder...........:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

I was watching some dvd's on the pc at the time. When I heard the thunder, I shut down the pc straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,481 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

The dog is sacred sh* *less of thunder+lightening and usually she gets the shivers and hides under a table. But last night was totally different. She went frantic around the house knocking everything over and frothing at the mouth. I thought she was going to have a heart attack. So its definitely the worst thunder shes experienced in all of her 84 dog years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭spender.j

I was looking after my parents dog a few years ago, we were living in Ballybane over Halloween and the poor dog had to be on sedatives... he was ageing at the time and had some awful side affects... Maybe this would have helped:p
    ear_protection.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Aiel

Was woken by it too in Salthill.One bit of Thunder and Lightning couldnt have been too far away from my apartment as the noise and brightness were unreal.You could feel a "crackling" or something in the air for a few seconds after each Lightning flash,never experienced that before.I was calling for an encore but Mother Nature didnt want to it seems.

Advertisement