Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ATI HD 5750 help / problem

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ninja 12

I've been running my Sapphire 5770 Vapor-X for over a week now , and have to say it's brilliant :D

It's completely silent until it gets to over 60 degrees c , and Dirt 2 looks incredible @ 1920x1080 with all settings at "ultra" :eek:

The Crysis benchmark gives me an average frame per second rate of 35 , again @ 1920x1080 , with all settings at medium . It's still very playable at this .
    My CPU is causing a bit of a bottleneck (it's only an AMD Athlon 5050e ) so I'll probably overclock it a bit . This should improve the frame rate for games like Crysis .

Here's a picture of it in it's new home , it looks tiny in my case , a Silverstone CW-02 .
    5770_vapor_x_2.JPG

It was well worth adding a few euros to my refund money to buy this card .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

welcome to the wonderful world of graphic whores. Only you get a taste for it it becomes an obsession :)

Good to hear youre happy with the performance/gfx quality.

Is the harddrive in the bottom right of your pic loose?

lmimmfn wrote: »
    welcome to the wonderful world of graphic whores. Only you get a taste for it it becomes an obsession :)

Good to hear youre happy with the performance/gfx quality.

Is the harddrive in the bottom right of your pic loose?

Thanks ,

The hard drive on the bottom right is a 2.5 inch Western Digital Scorpio Black . It's sitting on top of a drive cage and it's held in place with double sided velcro :D . I use it as an OS drive , for Windows and other programs .

There are a couple of reasons for this ,

1, I wanted to keep the 3.5 inch drive bays free for storage drives only . I've used 4 out of my 6 3.5 inch bays already .

2, It's a laptop drive and is silent (essential , as this computer is in my living room ) .

3, It still runs cool , even without much airflow where it is .

I must get around to doing a proper job of tidying my cables . It's on the list of things to do .

If I ever upgrade to a SSD , I'll put it where the laptop drive is now .

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Is that CPU being cooled passively??

• Registered Users Posts: 83,210 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

My Vapor-X never goes above 40, and only in extreme cases.

SDCardPhotos2009-2010005.pngSDCardPhotos2009-2010002.jpg

It's all in the airflow. And actually thats after moving it to that second PCIx slot thats housing the WAN card in this picture; the motherboard required it to run a single card at x16 >_> in the slot shown it only runs x8. Not that I have noticed any discernible difference between the two.

I dont know about the Scorpio but the Caviar is noisy, like a 1995 drive. Happier with the Barracuda main drive, which is dead silent

• Advertisement

Overheal wrote: »
    My Vapor-X never goes above 40, and only in extreme cases.

It's all in the airflow. And actually thats after moving it to that second PCIx slot thats housing the WAN card in this picture; the motherboard required it to run a single card at x16 >_> in the slot shown it only runs x8. Not that I have noticed any discernible difference between the two.

40 is very good . My Vapor-X gets to 75 when running Furmark , but I only have one 12cm case fan pulling warm air from the case .
    Overheal wrote: »
    I dont know about the Scorpio but the Caviar is noisy, like a 1995 drive. Happier with the Barracuda main drive, which is dead silent

The Scorpio laptop drive is completely silent . I also have set my other drives (all Samsung) to "silent" using the Samsung "Hutil" disk program .

The only time I hear the drives is when moving large amounts of data around , even then , they're very quiet .

I also have the drives set to spin down after 30 minutes of inactivity .

Solitaire wrote: »
    Is that CPU being cooled passively??
    Yes it is :D , well spotted .
    My case can take a cooler up to 16cm high , so I wanted a decent passive cooler (I wanted as little fan noise as possible) .
    I went with the Xigmatek Thor's Hammer and it's a beast of a cooler , with a total of 7 heatpipes , in 2 layers .

My cpu never goes above 50 degrees . I have used Arctic Silver 5 as TIM .

The rear case fan is near enough to the cooler that it pulls a fair amount of air through the cooler .

I also fitted a Xigmatek Crossbow bracket , so I could rotate the cooler 90 degrees .

crossbow.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 83,210 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

i didnt even know they made such a thing.

As for outtake fans, I only have 1 fan pushing air out if you arent counting the PSU. The top 200mm Fan and the two front 120mm fans are on low, pushing air in. Most of it gets shoved out those ventilated slots.

As for noise, it's a whole lot quieter than my laptop. The noisiest case I ever ran into was actually my Cousins, thanks to his massive water-cooling block. Self-defeating purpose, imo.

Advertisement