Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cookbook for novice

Options
  • 06-09-2010 9:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭

Hi,

My sister has just moved in with her boyfriend and is looking for a simple cookbook - nothing too fancy. They dont eat pasta at all, so that rules out any books that I can think of.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

jamie's ministry of food?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

ballymaloe cookery school book

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Delia Smith's Complete Cookery Course is definitely one of the best for a beginner.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Darkginger

There's a book called 'How to Boil an Egg - Simple Cookery for One' (you can always double the recipes) that's available very cheaply from Amazon, and which really does explain the basics very simply. I also second the recommendation for Delia Smith's Cookery Course, but that costs a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Casey_81

Thanks for all the suggestions.. Ill take a look at them in easons to see what they are like

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

ntlbell wrote: »
    jamie's ministry of food?

Second this one, the whole book is aimed at someone just starting out, recipes are simple enough and very easy to follow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 tphelan

her complete cookery course is an excellent book. Not only gives recipes but also what to look for when buying food, some neat tips and tricks etc. Its a great foundational book that you can then build from

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

Nigel Slater 'Real Fast Food'

or even they could try the bord bia website. Some good recipes in there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭smallgarden

i couldnt recommend mary berrys cookery books enough.she has pictures of almost everything and has everything well divided.each section shows you pic of recipe/calories/cooking tome/prep time and what its suitable for e.g family dinner,dnner party etc

also smart cooking 1 and 2.theyre cookery books aimed at junior and leaving cert books but they have loads of simple,well explained recipes with lots of pictures and variations.i use them all the time esp for baking

check out amazon and book depository as there both often way cheaper than easons
    e.g mary berry complete cookbook with book depository €20/easons €34
    her baking bible book depository €17/ easons €33

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭sharkbite1983

third for Jamie. I won his cookbook a few years ago at a crimbo party spot prize. never even looked at it untill I moved out on my own a few months later. I swear you cant get me out of the kitchen, and for a male in his 20's that unusual!!

Everything in his book is made with basic ingridients, & simple measurements, but WOW, i never knew food could be so good.

Your sister will be the new Delia Smith in no time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

That board bia website looks really good! Getting really hungry now!

Advertisement