Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ayrton Senna - The Movie

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 485 ✭✭guyfo

i seen a poster for it in vue, liffey valley

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

Killinator wrote: »
    The Gate cinema and Mahon Point cinema in Cork are both advertising if thats of any use.

Thanks, but Cork is a little far for me to travel!
    guyfo wrote: »
    i seen a poster for it in vue, liffey valley

Vue is less than an hour's drive for me, so I'd head there...It's out in June isn't it? I have a friend working in Vue so I may ask him when they're showing it...wahey!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 jay lazy

Avoid the extended Blu ray(8gb) version available to download, the extra interviews crudely cut into the footage ruin the film, the American commentator getting tearful is so OTT.

I'm going to watch the standard version again tonight with spanish subtitles along with a few F1 fans in Barcelona.

The standard version is a very powerful film BUT U still think that no Mansell, Berger, Rushden, Gordon Murray and murray Walker is incredible.

Also not showing Donington 93 and using Monaco 90 in car footage for the famous Monaco 88 'tunnel' pole lap is very amateurish

I'd rate it 7.5/10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭Sheeps

bump because this film was amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭matty55

My local cinema in Monaghan is screening it so if the little guys are screening it then I'd say it will be throughout the country

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Just seen a tweet from the director, Omniplex cinemas are showing it in Ireland. Don't know which ones or if it's all of their chain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Saw a poster for it in Cineworld on Parnell Street the other day

I downloaded it and watched it. Excellent quality with subtitles where appropriate. Some great footage I've never seen before.

What I couldn't get over was them showing the last lap onboard followed by the crash camera, all at proper speed. It was over so fast. One second he's leading a grand prix, a driver at the top of his game, the next, he's smashed into a wall and he's gone.

Insane, but the film is well worth a watch. It doesn't try to show him as being a nice guy, or bad, just as he was.

how is the imola weekend handled?

• Advertisement

matty55 wrote: »
    how is the imola weekend handled?

I think its done well. There is no shying away from it, but no speculation or extraneous crap. The footage shows the violence of the crashes very well, Barrichellos in particular. Also a camera angle from a spectator of Ratzenbergers crash I've never seen. I was in tears watching the build up on the grid as they showed an obviously agitated Senna, knowing what was coming.

I loved the movie. There is a lot of avenues and incidents that got ignored which I think is bad, but at such a long running time already, I'm not sure what you can do. For instance, Gerhard Berger may as well have not existed. Nigel Mansell and Piquet basically were in 1 scene each. I wouldn't view the film as definitive, but it is as good as I think we're going to get. A good balance of info for the F1 fanatic, with enough layman talking about him for the more casual watcher. Why Murray Walker wasn't interviewed either is bewildering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭freestyla

Another positive reply, great done. Winning, loosing, speed thrill, adrenaline rush, bravery, fidelity, defiance, sadness.. I watched probably that extended version since was a lot interviews with persons working close to Senna. Maybe I was missing few short interviews more with Senna's family members but I understand. Well the best part was it' really well described that Senna's 6th sense he had for racing - he handled it all. Imola black weekend was zenith of his senses, a lot of negative energy and feelings around - as much he loved racing over anything, this weekend he didn't feel like home at all. I m also glad the movie confirmed Senna being usually faster than Professor but, also, that Prost played big part in Senna's growing up from a boy to a man. Also pretty much info about that times F1 teams, drivers, figures and so.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭tommiejoie

ottostreet wrote: »
    I think its done well. There is no shying away from it, but no speculation or extraneous crap. The footage shows the violence of the crashes very well, Barrichellos in particular. Also a camera angle from a spectator of Ratzenbergers crash I've never seen. I was in tears watching the build up on the grid as they showed an obviously agitated Senna, knowing what was coming.

The one think I felt was missing was this clip of Senna doing a live lap for TF1 and saying how he misses Prost; it's a very poignant moment considering the rivalry emphasised in the movie and the event that would unfold that weekend.

Why Murray Walker wasn't interviewed either is bewildering.

There are some classic clips, such as Mansell/Senna at Catalunya that were used in the trailer but not in the bulk of the movie which is disappointing, and many other clips we're all familiar with but would be fantastic to show to non-F1 fans that will see the movie. I guess there's only so much they could include.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 209 ✭✭Torlac

I downloaded it and watched it. Excellent quality with subtitles where appropriate. Some great footage I've never seen before.

What I couldn't get over was them showing the last lap onboard followed by the crash camera, all at proper speed. It was over so fast. One second he's leading a grand prix, a driver at the top of his game, the next, he's smashed into a wall and he's gone.

Insane, but the film is well worth a watch. It doesn't try to show him as being a nice guy, or bad, just as he was.

where did you get it from?

Torlac wrote: »
    where did you get it from?

I'll PM you when I get home and can check!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 209 ✭✭Torlac

that would be great thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

watched this last night and thought it was fascinating. I know a lot of his career has been ignored, but the narrative of the story was superb. Technically, the way the documentary was put together was amazing - not a single talking head in the 104 minutes - superb editing.

The footage they had of Senna was incredible - him walking out of the drivers meeting with tears of anger and frustration in his eyes was real hairs on the back of the neck stuff.

Thoroughly recommended.

Roar wrote: »
    watched this last night and thought it was fascinating. I know a lot of his career has been ignored, but the narrative of the story was superb. Technically, the way the documentary was put together was amazing - not a single talking head in the 104 minutes - superb editing.

The footage they had of Senna was incredible - him walking out of the drivers meeting with tears of anger and frustration in his eyes was real hairs on the back of the neck stuff.

Thoroughly recommended.

The footage of the drivers meetings is amazing.

The IFI will be showing this also, according to a little birdy :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭SniperSight

For those that have seen it...
    Does it show the clip where he pulls up his car to help the unconcious Erik Comas aftet his crash. That clip always gets me.
    Can't wait for the release!

For those that have seen it...
    Does it show the clip where he pulls up his car to help the unconcious Erik Comas aftet his crash. That clip always gets me.
    Can't wait for the release!

They show it as part of the credits. There are lots of great little snippets like that that we all know and love but unfortunately didnt make the cut.

The movie is great, I cant wait to see it (properly) in the cinema next week. I think we all would have edited it differently, but the previously unseen stuff makes up for that.

• Advertisement

G-Money wrote: »
    The IFI will be showing this also, according to a little birdy :)

I think its going to be played nationwide; I saw a poster for it in Dundalk and know that it is coming to at least half a dozen Dublin cinemas. Cant wait, Ive had it downloaded for a couple of months but cant bring myself to watch it-want to see it on the big screen(preferably screen 17 in Cineworld!)

Yeah Vue and Omniplex are showing it. IFI are definitely showing it from next Friday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭BrianOFlanagan

saw a poster for this in dundrum cinema yesterday, just a heads up!

saw a poster for this in dundrum cinema yesterday, just a heads up!

Cool, would defo suit me more than going into town or to Liffey Valley.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭antz182

anyone know anywhere else it'll be out? cineworld on parnell st or [EMAIL="movies@swords"]movies@swords[/EMAIL]?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭doubledown

Going to see this tonight at the IFI. Cannot wait. Will report back tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭antz182

doubledown wrote: »
    Going to see this tonight at the IFI. Cannot wait. Will report back tomorrow.
    Thats the Irish Film Institute right? its not listed on their website for today or am I lookin in the wrong place?

antz182 wrote: »
    Thats the Irish Film Institute right? its not listed on their website for today or am I lookin in the wrong place?

It doesn't open until this Friday, June 3rd, but there is an Irish Film and Television Academy preview screening tonight at the IFI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

Is this being released in Cineworld?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Can't wait for Friday.

• Advertisement

On in Dundrum, happy days, nice and close to where I live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 335 ✭✭ratedR

Storm Cinemas website has this listed as "coming soon", although it doesnt say whether it's to all there cinemas or just specific ones. Really hope Waterford get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 thoroughly decent chap

doubledown wrote: »
    It doesn't open until this Friday, June 3rd, but there is an Irish Film and Television Academy preview screening tonight at the IFI.

how can you get to go to these screenings?

....and was it any good?

Glowing review from Entertainment.ie, top marks too.

http://entertainment.ie/movie_review/Senna/7627.htm

I saw the Senna documentary last night and all I can say is - wow. It's an incredible achievement. Director Asif Kapadia has put together a compelling, thrilling, fascinating and ultimately heartbreaking tale, effortlessly weaving never-before seen archive footage with new interviews in an attempt to convey what kind of a man, and what kind of a driver, Ayrton Senna was.

The story of how some of the races and championships unfolded are pure Hollywood ; but the difference is - they were real. If you wrote a film script about a driver finishing his home race despite being stuck in sixth gear for the final few laps it would be considered far-fetched. But that's exactly what happened to Senna at the 1991 Brazilian Grand Prix. The film also tells the story of the relationship Senna had with his bitter rival and erstwhile teammate - Alain Prost.

One of the most refreshing things about the documentary is that although new interviews were shot with various people, including McLaren boss Ron Dennis, The Guardian's Richard Williams and Professor Sid Watkins to name but a few, we never actually see them onscreen - we just hear their audio. So we are never pulled from the story visually - the film is made up of 100% archive.

For those who don't follow F1 it gives them a fresh appreciation of what goes on behind the scenes over the course of a race weekend and offers a tiny glimpse into what it takes to drive a Formula One car to, and sometimes beyond, the limit.

And for those who ARE familiar with the story and know what's coming, it’s a real treat. Amazing onboard footage shows the skill Senna had behind the wheel, before the purity of the sport was polluted with electronic driver aids and various other gizmos. And if, like me, you remember seeing F1's darkest weekend unfold before your very eyes seventeen years ago, seeing the introductory aerial shot of the Imola circuit with the title card "May 1994" will send a shiver down your spine.

Not necessarily everything is shown here. Senna's amazing drive in the rain at Donington Park in 1993 or how he stopped his car on the circuit and got out to help Érik Comas who had crashed during practice at the 1992 Belgian Grand Prix are two things I noticed were missing (although we do see shots of both incidents over the end credits). If there is a longer cut of the film then hopefully we will get to see it when it is released on DVD.

Whether you liked Senna or not is irrelevant. Whether you like documentaries or not is irrelevant. And whether or not you are a fan of Formula One or motorsport in general is irrelevant. This is simply unmissable. And make sure you see it in the cinema!

how can you get to go to these screenings?

....and was it any good?

For IFTA screenings you have to be a member of the academy. Although various radio stations were giving away tickets for the last night's screening too.

And yes, it was excellent (see review above).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭BrianOFlanagan

Is this being released in Cineworld?

Yep take a gander at the website here: http://www.cineworld.ie/cinemas/75?fallback=false&isMobileAgent=false

third from the bottom.

According to the SENNA Movie facebook page, it won't be screened in Omniplex cinemas until 21st June. Apparently they're starting out with a limited release first before a nationwide release.

Also I havn't seen it listed for any Storm cinemas for Friday night so I guess it's a similar story there too.

Pity.

its on in cineworld in dublin from friday

• Advertisement

Jake Humphrey went to see it last night, said it was incredible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 335 ✭✭ratedR

He would say that though, incredible overuse of that word by Mr. Humphrey. Like he's the expert anyway. I do believe Marty Brundle gave it the thumbs up though.

does anyone know if its on in the monaghan, armagh or even dundalk area? been looking everywhere local but dublin seems the nearest to monaghan thats showing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Can't bleedin' stand him, so I won't take much notice of his opinion.

matty55 wrote: »
    does anyone know if its on in the monaghan, armagh or even dundalk area? been looking everywhere local but dublin seems the nearest to monaghan thats showing it.

There are posters up in Dundalk but its not listed right now on entertainment.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Speed_Junkie

It's released in the IFI from tomm, 3rd

Saw it at the permier the other night, fantastic documentory

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭TommyTippee

I watched this....ahem.....a few weeks back, but it was over 3 hours long?

I assume they have edited the film to suit where it is being distributed?

I saw a bit of that to. All the reviews say the interviewss are voiced over the footage so id say its an extended version or a rough cut that was leaked or something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Great review in the Irish Times and a big article about the movies director. Havent read it yet. Hope it comes to either Cork or Waterford

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ro_chez

Im hopefully going to see it over the weekend.

I've watched the bluray download which is 2 hours 42 minutes but the cineworld and ifi sites have it at 106 mins.

Thats a full hour missing and I even felt there were crucial bits missing from the long version. They could have cut out the emotional yank at the end and replaced it with more on the Donington race!

• Advertisement
Advertisement