Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ayrton Senna - The Movie

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭mailforkev

Saw it in the IFI earlier this afternoon.

It's a nice piece of work, lots of great footage of old pre-race drivers' briefings etc. The review a page or two back says it all.

Mrs Me, who would only have a passing interest in F1, also really enjoyed it.

Well worth the price of a ticket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Dunno if I'd pay cinema prices to see a ground-down version of it tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

amacachi wrote: »
    Dunno if I'd pay cinema prices to see a ground-down version of it tbh.

My interests are motor sport, Football, Cinema, & History & Geography.

All i will say about a movie is that you should see it in the cinema if at all possible - in the proper size. IT really does make a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭matty55

Absolutly incredible film!!!!! I never thought archive footage could look so movie like!!!!

does anybody have the locations around the country where the film is showing? Surely for us non-dubs there is a way to see it in the cinema?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Does it bring the tears out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Killinator

Min wrote: »
    Does it bring the tears out?
    Feck, Haven't seen it yet but would imagine it might, I was getting emotional watching the trailer:D

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭matty55

Killinator wrote: »
    Feck, Haven't seen it yet but would imagine it might, I was getting emotional watching the trailer:D

The 1991 Brazilian Grand Prix and the entire Imola weekend gave me a serious lump in my throat!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Stoolbend

does anybody have the locations around the country where the film is showing? Surely for us non-dubs there is a way to see it in the cinema?

The only cinemas entertainment.ie list for it are in Dublin. But it was definitely worth the 500km round trip to see it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Corben Dallas

5 Stars, Absolutely Great Movie.

Go and see, Covers the three years Senna and Prost fought for the F1 World Championship brilliantly. with interviews that really show the personalities of both drivers.

The Film gives one the sports most Iconic/Talented/Charismatic/Ruthless drivers an in depth, behind the scenes look at his life through his sport.

The Monaco 88 section of the film were he says he was driving as a sort of out of body experience (and the in-car footage) is shine tingling.

It also shows the danger within F1. The Jerez crash with Martin Donnelly was really sobering. Senna never flinched from seeing the dark side of F1 for himself, he would often be first on the scene to help and go to the accident site. This affected him emotionally and u see this in the film.

The May Imola weekend with Rubens massive crash on Friday, Roland Ratzengberger's death in Qualifying on Saturday, and Senna's fatal crash on Sunday will give you a lump in your throat.

It is covered comprehensively and the reactions shown from Team personnel, Prost, Berger & Lauda, Frank Williams etc which really shows the impact felt at the very heart of Formula 1.

Prof Sid Watkins comments from the crash site were profound. I nearly cried.

Overall a Great Sports documentary on one of F1's legendary drivers that also entertains.

@double down
    "Not necessarily everything is shown here. Senna's amazing drive in the rain at Donington Park in 1993 or how he stopped his car on the circuit and got out to help Érik Comas who had crashed during practice at the 1992 Belgian Grand Prix are two things I noticed were missing (although we do see shots of both incidents over the end credits)."

There is a few seconds of a side shot of Donington (Should not have been left out, hopefully on the DVD), and the Erik Comas crash Belgium 92, v fast section just before the bus stop is in the main film, shows Senna stop car, running over to Comas Ligier. >>>> I was there in 92 and could see the crash from the hill sides banking. (+Saw Schumis first win :) )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

saw it tonight - felt it should have been more about the man and his ability rather than a rather linear chronicling of his career. didn't show enough of the supreme skill. For instance, they have a comment saying 93 was his best season driving wise, but showed basically none of it - not giving a visual reason.

I'm not saying the doc is bad, not by long stretch - it is very good, it simply isn't what I was hoping it would be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Nice find. Excellent article,really looking forward to seeing this in the flicks. Also really looking forward to the DVD release as it sounds like there's tons of material that didn't make the cinema release.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭love that turbo

Dont know if I can see it in the cinema, id be a mess. I get upset watching the trailer. Id be crying like a baby in the cinema. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Catching this tonight, can't wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 scoobyjack

Apart from the fact it's a great film, you don't get many chances to see F1 with the big screen and sound system in a cinema. Worth it just for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

The biggest shock for me was the Donnelly crash. I had never seen that before and I was certain the guy was dead lying in the middle of the track.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

ro_chez wrote: »
    Im hopefully going to see it over the weekend.

I've watched the bluray download which is 2 hours 42 minutes but the cineworld and ifi sites have it at 106 mins.

Thats a full hour missing and I even felt there were crucial bits missing from the long version. They could have cut out the emotional yank at the end and replaced it with more on the Donington race!

*snip*

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭love that turbo

I want the 7 hr version

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

This really is a must lads, its amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

scoobyjack wrote: »
    Apart from the fact it's a great film, you don't get many chances to see F1 with the big screen and sound system in a cinema. Worth it just for that.

Yeh I was really impressed with the sound and the big screen for the racing scene, if you can go see this in the cinema rather than download it, do.

Look forward to seeing the extended version.

Vegeta wrote: »
    The biggest shock for me was the Donnelly crash. I had never seen that before and I was certain the guy was dead lying in the middle of the track.

If I remember correctly it effectively ended his career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

I know I'm in a minority of one but I came out of the cinema feeling pretty flat. I wasnt impressed by how the film was edited to make Prost look like the villain and how they glossed over some pretty important elements of how their relationship developed, coincidently a lot of these moments would have painted Senna in a negative light.

There was some very irresponsible editing in the film, the moments before Ratensberger's crash springs to mind, and I just felt that the film lacked the balance that I think it needed.

Senna was such an enigma because of the conflicts and contradications in his driving and the way he led his life off the track. These split second decision where his heart ruled his head were what made him a compelling person and not the innocence and naivety that the film showed him in.

I really wanted to love this film but ultimately I came away wanted less bias and more balance. If I wasnt such a fan of the sport in general and of Senna in particular I think I would have loved it but it seemed to me that too many elements were made just to increase the drama and, to be honest in my view, make Prost look bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Saw it last night, great film

2 things really stood out for me:

The head of the FIA back then was such a **** :eek:

It also proved Ron Dennis wasn't always such a joyless douchebag

The difference to modern F1 was stark, it really is a joyless souless place these days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

It also proved Ron Dennis wasn't always such a joyless douchebag

Super-douche. He has a constant smug look on his face which rubs me the wrong way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

frostie500 wrote: »
    I know I'm in a minority of one but I came out of the cinema feeling pretty flat. I wasnt impressed by how the film was edited to make Prost look like the villain and how they glossed over some pretty important elements of how their relationship developed, coincidently a lot of these moments would have painted Senna in a negative light.

There was some very irresponsible editing in the film, the moments before Ratensberger's crash springs to mind, and I just felt that the film lacked the balance that I think it needed.

Senna was such an enigma because of the conflicts and contradications in his driving and the way he led his life off the track. These split second decision where his heart ruled his head were what made him a compelling person and not the innocence and naivety that the film showed him in.

I really wanted to love this film but ultimately I came away wanted less bias and more balance. If I wasnt such a fan of the sport in general and of Senna in particular I think I would have loved it but it seemed to me that too many elements were made just to increase the drama and, to be honest in my view, make Prost look bad.

Perfect example of knowing too much. :pac: Haven't seen it yet but did it mention Prost being a pallbearer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Perfect example of knowing too much. :pac: Haven't seen it yet but did it mention Prost being a pallbearer?

I really think that knowing too much was quite a large element of it unfortunately! I think that having seen pretty much every race from 88 onwards also meant that the snappy editing couldnt get past what I knew happened between the races shown in the film, particularly before Suzuka 99.

It shows Prost at the funeral but im not sure if it has him as a pallbearer, think it just showed him beside the coffin, could be wrong though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

I don't agree that Senna was shown in an entirely angelic light by the makers of this film.

I think they highlighted Senna's decision to take the World Championship in Suzuka in 1990 in the same way as it was denied to him in 1989 by Prost and the resulting conflict Senna felt was clearly displayed in his body language afterwards on the walk back to the pits.

I can't remember what year or GP (German maybe?) at which there is a drivers meeting featured where Senna is arguing the replacement of the tyre wall at a runoff road with a cone is the best for safety. Balestre's "The best decision is my decision!" *cue audible gasp and lols from drivers*, it gets voted in, done and then in the race, he practically forces Prost into the cone at the exact same corner. The film doesn't state it, but at least implies that it was premeditated.

Senna ultimately ended up playing the politics game in the sport, he played politics in order to win. Although he is revered as one of the all time greats, I feel this aspect sullies his racing achievements slightly.

If you are Brazilian and reading this, I love Senna, really. :)

In the interviews with Prost, he is well able to make some very valid points about Senna and his claims about God and how it related to other drivers in terms of safety etc.

In any case, the most compelling aspect of this film, is that regardless of the editing, the footage is all real, most of it not seen before and certainly the comments, thoughts and opinions of all the talking heads are genuine from their individual points of view.

I think everyone should watch this, not just us F1 fans :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

frostie500 wrote: »
    couldnt get past what I knew happened between the races shown in the film, particularly before Suzuka 99.

It shows Prost at the funeral but im not sure if it has him as a pallbearer, think it just showed him beside the coffin, could be wrong though

What happened before Suzuka 99?

Yep, the film shows Prost walking beside the coffin, like they all did.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭tommiejoie

Prost is shown at the funeral, but not as a pallbearer. I don't think the portrayal of Prost is as bad as some are saying. Thinking back on the film, a key point is made of Prost leaving McLaren because he can't deal with Senna in the same team. That's hardly the action of a villian, is it?

I think more could have been done to clear up the Senna-Prost relationship heading into '94 which became much better. I recall reading/hearing that Senna phoned Prost regularly, begged him to come back! These are things that as F1 fans we know. It's a pity that it's not fully explained to those who will see this story unfold for the first time in a cinema.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 magnetman88

Just seen the Senna movie today. It was brilliant. Just a question for anyone who seen it. Near the end of the movie, his mother said he read a passage from the bible before the start of the race at Imola. Does anyone know what passage that was?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Just seen the Senna movie today. It was brilliant. Just a question for anyone who seen it. Near the end of the movie, his mother said he read a passage from the bible before the start of the race at Imola. Does anyone know what passage that was?

Potter 12:14

The verse where Harry loans Jesus his wand so perform "multiplio" on the bread and fish

• Registered Users Posts: 24 magnetman88

Potter 12:14

The verse where Harry loans Jesus his wand so perform "multiplio" on the bread and fish

Funny man aren't ya!! There is no need to be such a JERK !! It was more along the lines where Aryton opened the Bible to a passage that said he would be given the ultimate gift - to be with God himself ??

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film/8524259/Senna-the-driver-who-lit-up-Formula-One.html

I want to find that passage ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Saw this last night. I know a lot of people in the thread mentioned watching a downloaded version, but I’d highly recommend trying to catch this on the big screen. It’s a truly ‘cinematic’ experience. As a film it’s brilliantly executed. It really takes you on a rollercoaster of a ride – admiration, joy, anger, sadness – some of the footage is amazing, capturing the skill of Senna the driver. But the movie is also about the politics of F1 and the rivalry between Senna and Prost.
    There are some very sad moments when Senna is being interviewed and he talks about the dangers that F1 drivers face or the life he hopes to lead after his F1 career finishes – these moments are leant a poignancy because obviously the viewer knows how the story ends.
    As someone who over recent years has lost touch with F1 the movie is an amazing testament to the excitement and drama that the sport can produce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭overshoot

does anyone know where the closest place to watch it to donegal is? cant see it listed for any donegal cinemas or sligo town's. really want to see this on the big screen
    edit- lifford cinema will be showing it from friday 10th (bought and read the paper since i posted earlier)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Marguerite Tonery

I really want to see this documentary. I think he was the greatest F1 driver that ever lived. He had talent and adapted so creatively to ever turn and every obstacle to his success. He was an amazing character and a hero to all those who saw how he embraced all of what he was in how he lived and drove.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭EhBenDisDonc

Gripping from beginning to end. It would have been so easy to fill a couple of hours with interviews, but instead this film is packed with amazing footage that is superb on the big screen - brought me right back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭BrianOFlanagan

Saw this yesterday in cineworld dublin and it was incredible. It was odd to watch a movie where everyone knew the ending and yet as they showed senna getting into the car and doing his first few laps at Imola my heart was pounding. An unbelievable experience. Will be a day one purchase on blu-ray.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭EhBenDisDonc

Brian,
    Did you notice that curious noise made by a cinema full of lads swallowing hard and trying to keep it together? It took a few minutes for the chit-chat to start and almost everyone stayed for the credits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,089 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Saw this tonight and yeah, I was one of the people swallowing hard, which is pretty unusual for me. Then went to the pub ad
    nd they were playing The Chain!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 835 ✭✭✭miketv

loved every bit. Tempted to go again and will be buying on Blue-ray :D

Brian,
    Did you notice that curious noise made by a cinema full of lads swallowing hard and trying to keep it together? It took a few minutes for the chit-chat to start and almost everyone stayed for the credits.

Absolutely yes, never before have I wanted to just break down and weep because of a movie. Credits were good but I had heard donnington 92 was in there and I dont remember seeing it.

Bought my tickets online for the one showing its been given in Dungarvan. Last week it was the 6th most watched movie in cinemas in Ireland which is incredible considering its only playing in a handful of cinemas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Brian,

I just had something in my eye - ok!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 237 ✭✭stevemc01

Watched this last Monday in liffey valley. It was amazing, very emotional and will be a definite purchase on dvd.

I have noticed that a few local cinemas around the country are getting it in to show for 1 or 2 nights only based on demand. Our local cinema in Gorey is showing it for 1 night only on the 21st June. I have purchased my tickets already. :)

If your local cinema are not showing it get on to them and get your friends to do it also.

I just had something in my eye - ok!?

Haha exactly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭TommyTippee

miketv wrote: »
    loved every bit. Tempted to go again and will be buying on Blue-ray :D

Will there be any point in buying on Blu-Ray? Surely the quality of the old footage won't be enhanced?

Will there be any point in buying on Blu-Ray? Surely the quality of the old footage won't be enhanced?

The larger capacity of blu-ray would mean that more extras could potentially be included, maybe a directors cut edition....etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

I was vastly underwhelmed by this when I watched an [cough]acquired[/cough] version. Maybe I'll be more impressed by the cinema one..... Plus Cars 2 is out haha

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Anyone here been to see this in Vue Liffey Valley or the IMC in Dun Laoghaire? Anytime I check the online booking the cinema seems almost empty.

For those who've seen it in the cinema, has there been many people at the showings?

Advertisement