Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ayrton Senna - The Movie

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Just watched the 2h42 min version there after tracking down some English subs. Really enjoyed it. Editing not amazing at some points particularly near the end. Would like to see the theatrical release also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 964 ✭✭✭thegoth

Saw the 16:15 show this evening in Liffey Valley. Didn't start til after 16:30 once adverts and trailers were finished.

Since I only started to watch F1 half way through the 94 season, I learned a bit. Felt Prost was a bit hard done by. There was more to the Senna Prost relationship that what was here but overall it was good.

To be honest I was expecting more because of the hipe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

I too thought it portrayed Prost a lot worse than he actually was, and Senna vice versa in too nice a light - he always seemed to me a more than slightly egotistical person. But anyways, I can get over all that, I thought it was an amazing film. The music added so much to it in my opinion, so if possible I strongly suggest going to cinema, to get the "full-effect"

I thought it was really interesting in particular showing Balestre's influence, and that scene in the driver's meeting about the cones was really enlightening - obviously not in a good way though. Never knew how much of an over-arching figure he was in proceedings.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 108 ✭✭Get Cracking

Best show iv seen for years,
    Highly reccomend it for everyone!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ro_chez

Prost came out alot better in the long version. They cut out all the good bits that he had to say about what he thought about Senna after he had retired in the short version which I thought was pretty bad form. Pity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ro_chez

G-Money wrote: »
    Anyone here been to see this in Vue Liffey Valley or the IMC in Dun Laoghaire? Anytime I check the online booking the cinema seems almost empty.

For those who've seen it in the cinema, has there been many people at the showings?

I've seen it twice in the IFI, Dublin and it was maybe half full first time and maybe 1/3 full the second.

Went to see it in Cineworld one Saturday night and it was sold out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 237 ✭✭stevemc01

Anyone here been to see this in Vue Liffey Valley or the IMC in Dun Laoghaire? Anytime I check the online booking the cinema seems almost empty.

For those who've seen it in the cinema, has there been many people at the showings?

Went to see it in Liffey Valley on the June bank holiday Monday at 7pm, was nearly full, the showing at 8.30 in Dundrum that saturday or Sunday was sold out too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Later 9 o clock show does be about 3/4 full

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,776 ✭✭✭C3PO

Went to see it in Dundrum tonight - I thought it was superb! Cinema was nearly full - mainly middle aged couples which I thought was quite surprising!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭terlywerly

Anyone in or around the Sligo area, the Gaiety Cinema are getting the film for one night - tomorrow (Tuesday 21st), 2 showings 7pm and 9.30pm. Going to see it myself, can't wait!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Heading to see this tonight myself!

Really good film, the end of it was tough to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭blackiebest

Going tonight, really looking forward to it. My daughter (7) name is Senna and by pure chance a guy I have only just met named his 8 year old boy Ayrton! So tonight Ayrton and Senna will meet for the first time at the movie Senna in Sligo of all places!

Any one explain the one night only showing of this movie? I am intrigued as to why. My guess is that the makers have not sold it to a distributor and are using the Cinema showing as an advertisment for the DVD??

Any one explain the one night only showing of this movie? I am intrigued as to why. My guess is that the makers have not sold it to a distributor and are using the Cinema showing as an advertisment for the DVD??
    Asked in the cinema when I was in the last day and one of the girls said there wasn't much of a demand and very few people had rang or called in to enquire about it, they aren't expecting many in there tonight at all. And Sligo cinema is notoriously slow for getting films, even multiple award winning ones. From what I remember, it didn't get Slumdog Millionaire till it won all the Oscars... :rolleyes:

Went to see this last night and the cinema was full. I checked before I left and there was about 10 seats free. I just noticed they're starting to show it twice a day again from Friday onwards. I guess there must be a big demand for it. Might go back to see it again too.

Well I'm back from watching it and I have to say I'm surprised that so many people were at the screening, normally things like that don't go down too well in Sligo. Found some parts of it very hard to watch, and for anyone else at the film this evening, yes that was me sniffling loudly and clearing my throat :o Although I did enjoy it I have to say I think some input by Murray Walker would have added to its overall effect and I thought the portrayal of Prost was a bit one sided also. Thought as well that it was odd that Gerhard Berger seemed virtually absent from the whole thing, given his close relationship with Senna. The Martin Donnelly crash footage I had never seen before and it really shocked me. Only for I knew that he survived it I would have been sure he died in the crash. Did anyone else feel absolutely dreadful as they started to show Senna's final lap from the on board camera? I felt sick to my stomach knowing what was about to happen :(

I'd seen the onboard lap a few times in the 1994 season review but it wasn't great watching it. What I really didn't like was the overhead shot of him sitting in the car lifeless. And there's something about that shot of them carrying him into the helicopter that I didn't like.

Having said that, I'm thinking about going back to see it again! Dundrum reduced the viewings to one per day but I just checked and they've increased it to two shows per day from Friday onwards. Must be very popular. The cinema was about 95% full last night. Although it wasn't the biggest screen but still.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lionbacker

Well as far as I'm aware, tonight was the first time it was shown down in Cork & it was booked out in a few cinemas days beforehand! Mahon Point are showing more screenings of it due to popular demand.

Anyway saw it earlier on myself & thought it was a fantastic portrail of his racing career. It was well thought out, well filmed & well executed in its aim to bring to the wider public what a charismatic figure Senna was & how saddening it was that he died in his prime, despite clearly not wanting to drive that day.
    A great movie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

This is great, and is just the right length, not too long. Really well done, well edited.

It moves at a fair pace, and there were so many races, but I was a little surprised Monaco 1992 holding off Mansell in the superior Williams didn't get a mention. Just after Senna's death in May 1994 the BBC reshowed Monaco 1992 as their tribute, and it was considered maybe his finest race. Also Donnington 1993 in the wet.

Watching this I see why I loved F1 at this time. Sparks flying everywhere. The on car footage is just so exciting, you get a real sense of the speed and action. It all looks so sanitised/controlled these days. One look for everything. I just struggle to connect with the coverage in the same way now, it's like watching it on a playstation at times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭blackiebest

Well last evening in Sligo Ayrton met Senna at Senna! Funny to see an eight year old boy and a 7 year old girl learn why their Dads wanted to call them after a race driver. Both really enjoyed it.

Superb production IMO and not only for petrol heads. In fact as stated earlier most of his best driving was not highlighted at all. It does however show the kind of person he was and that he had somthing special outside of the car also.

Highly recommend it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I don't watch a lot of F1 anymore, but I was an avid viewer when I was a teenager and remembered all the drivers from about 1990 onwards. It was so exciting back then.

Loved the movie, it was really into the action right from the start, very interesting insights into drivers' briefings and Senna's introspective views on everything. Very emotional ending.
    It moves at a fair pace, and there were so many races, but I was a little surprised Monaco 1992 holding off Mansell in the superior Williams didn't get a mention. Just after Senna's death in May 1994 the BBC reshowed Monaco 1992 as their tribute, and it was considered maybe his finest race. Also Donnington 1993 in the wet.

Think there was a clip of this during the credits. We were expecting it to come up in the movie too though.

One thing that really surprised me that I never saw before was the 1992/1993 Williams that they showed. I thought it was amazing how advanced the car was, you could see the suspension adjusting itself with no-one near the car. Looked very impressive.

Went to see the movie last night and thought it was really well made. Despite counting down to what we all know what was the terrible end it was still enjoyable especially the racing action with Prost. Although my only quibble with the film was the making out of Prost to be the bad guy. I dont think there was a bad guy! I laughed at the meeting between Rubens and Senna - he was so awestruck! That Imola weekend truely was terrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭SniperSight

Saw the movie last night after waiting since I heard the first inklings about it.
    Utterly Brilliant!!!!
    Where to begin!?
    I've honestly never had so many emotionaland physical reactions whilst watching a movie!
    Senna speaking so lovingly of the pureness of his karting days....This made me so happy how highly he ragarded something we can all take part in.
    His performance in Monaco as it rained, knowing that he would have had the win only for the stopped race.
    The Martin Donnelly accident was sickening!! He looked so vulnerable as he lay motionless.
    I felt anger at the screwing over he got at Suzuka. I don't view Prost as a bad guy, I always admired him, just as a different style. But the decision to exclude AND BAN Senna, in his own words was "unnacceptable" and reeked!!
    The movie showed Senna's raw talent, faith, will to learn and wll to win!!!
    It showed that he wasn't willing to take the screwing lying down and was going to do things "his way".
    It was also an insight into the driver's meetings, the arguements and also the humour.
    I welled up as he won in Brazil for the first time, the pain he went through to do what should have been impossible.

And then, the inevitiable.....Imola '94.
    I could feel tension and stress build in me as that Black Weekend progressed. Barrichellos horrible smash, after his starstruck interview alongside Senna.
    I felt sick as it showed an interview with Ratzenberger, and felt tears as his accident was shown with his lifeless head rolling from one side of the car to the other.
    Then the race..........
    The horibble smash that sent parts flying, that got the safety car out.

Finally the onboard of his last lap........ I've seen the Senna crash countless times....not like this... My leg was tapping like crazy as the home straight approached, I was sweating, my heart was beating....I knew it had to happen, but even as he flew through Tamburello it seemed like he was gonna make it, but alas it happened like it has in every video.
    I watched him sit in his smashed car only moving his head out of spasms and the his extraction from the car and the medical teams helplessly trying to help. My stomach was tight, my palms sweaty and clenched, my leg now still, my heart not pounding because it felt broken, my throat felt sore and my eyes dripping tears. I have NEVER felt anything like what I felt as I watched these scenes, I imagine I never will.

All said Ratzenberger and Senna didn't die in vain, Alan McNish's at Le Mans horrible accident and all the rest before, since and those in the future will show the changes that have come about in safety of cars and tracks.
    An incredibly expensive price to pay however...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,107 ✭✭✭amacca

brilliant film...very sad - remember seeing the crash on tv + funeral in brazil as a child and not really understanding....had a much greater effect on me to see it as an adult....I don't cry very often...

some of the in car footage was incredible - visceral sensation of speed you just don't seem to get now

the press conferences were fantastically entertaining - Piquet really came across as a bitter whiney man bitch in that one appearance.

the end of the brazilian grand prix was something else "prost you son of a bitch" - what a quote, you just dont seem to get much of that now in the sanitized world of sport - just whining and moaning ....and preening.

I too thought it was strange Gerhard Berger featured so little (some of the practical joking that went on between those two and mc laren + other drivers is very entertaining to read about) - but then again it just wasn't that type of documentary....it wasn't about documenting everything about the man or listing everything that happened, to me it was just about giving you a sense of what a standout race driver / person (not all positive either) he was and what an incredible sport f1 was in those days (not all in good ways either I suppose)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭dnme

I think it could do with a little narration in places. I watched it in a format without subtitles so there are long periods where no english is spoken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Killinator

dnme wrote: »
    I think it could do with a little narration in places. I watched it in a format without subtitles so there are long periods where no english is spoken.

Well theres your problem!
    Not to sound critical, as I'm not adverse to downloading stuff at a 100% discount, but if your not watching it in the cinema the way the makers intended then and instead are watching a version which will see them garner no profits, do you honestly expect them to have made a copy that would suit your wants/needs even though you haven't paid for the privilege,

There are subtitles in the cinema version, thats the version that counts to them, and is the version they expect most people to be watching.

Killinator wrote: »
    Well theres your problem!
    Not to sound critical, as I'm not adverse to downloading stuff at a 100% discount, but if your not watching it in the cinema the way the makers intended then and instead are watching a version which will see them garner no profits, do you honestly expect them to have made a copy that would suit your wants/needs even though you haven't paid for the privilege,

There are subtitles in the cinema version, thats the version that counts to them, and is the version they expect most people to be watching.

You're making quite an assumption there my friend. I was invited to a private preview of this movie in London about a year ago, it was still in post production afaik.

• Advertisement

You're making quite an assumption there my friend. I was invited to a private preview of this movie in London about a year ago, it was still in post production afaik.
    In that case I fully apologise,
    Several people have already stated they have downloaded the movie and I took your wording (especially the word 'format') to mean you had also downloaded it.:o

Killinator wrote: »
    In that case I fully apologise,
    Several people have already stated they have downloaded the movie and I took your wording (especially the word 'format') to mean you had also downloaded it.:o

No need to apologise Killinator
    I was lying:rolleyes:

No need to apologise Killinator
    I was lying:rolleyes:
    Sigh,
    My brain is working 1/4 speed today:o

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭matty55

does anyone know when it will b out on dvd?

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭leposean

best film ive seen in years!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭alanrebelsw

Best film in years,in a cinema.cars 2 pretty good too,nephew nearly wet himself a couple of times..haha

• Advertisement

matty55 wrote: »
    does anyone know when it will b out on dvd?

October/November I believe.

October/November I believe.

10 october

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Meant to post a few weeks ago when I saw it. I thought it was a fantastic movie and I'm delighted I went to see it.
    Not sure if it's still in cinemas, but if anyone hasn't seen it and have an interest in motorsport, then go watch it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Just after watching Senna and it was a great watch and at times i wanted to slap a certain man :mad: but it was also kinda sad when you knew how it was going to end :( Put together very well and enjoyable for any motorsport fan.

Great to see a young Rubens and Damon :D

Not sure if I posted this up before but a a film about Lauda and Hunt is being mooted at the moment - it sounds very good.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/movies/2011/06/senna-formula-1-rush-ayrton-hunt-lauda-howard.html

And there is supposed to be a very good doc out there which was released in the USA but not here about Karting called Racing Dreams

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭matty55

Out tomorrow on DVD!! Cant wait!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

Not sure if I posted this up before but a a film about Lauda and Hunt is being mooted at the moment - it sounds very good.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/movies/2011/06/senna-formula-1-rush-ayrton-hunt-lauda-howard.html

And there is supposed to be a very good doc out there which was released in the USA but not here about Karting called Racing Dreams

An excellent documentary, goosebump fest at the end!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭unkymo

Watched the Senna film last night (the extended version).

A wonderful film, was in tears at the end!

Autosport have made this available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

I've just finished watching the Senna movie this evening and it is a truly brilliant film. I only wish I had seen it on the big screen.

Senna and Prost's legendary battles on the track and their love/hate relationship off the track made F1 so exciting. However, it's good that the two men made their peace before Senna passed away.

17 years on, I still find it incredibly difficult to watch the footage of Imola, without getting very emotional. It is hard to comprehend how and why the race was allowed go ahead after Ratzenberger's fatal crash - again, probably alot to do with F1 politics and money. Thankfully, it would appear that the deaths of Ratzenburger and Senna have made F1 safer for drivers, so their deaths haven't been in vain. F1 never held the same level of appeal for me after Senna's death, F1 is much duller without Ayton Senna Da Silva.

I think that the following Ayrton Senna quotes best sum up his brilliance as a F1 driver and the man.

Senna's love of the track -

"Racing, competing, it’s in my blood. It’s part of me, it’s part of my life and it stands out above everything else”.

Senna's love for his native Brazil -

"Wealthy men can’t live in an island that is encircled by poverty. We all breathe the same air. We must give a chance to everyone, at least a basic chance”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

Finally got around to seeing it today and to be honest I can't see why it got such great reviews. If it was just a movie it would be slated for the editing alone, which was pretty bad even though they were dealing with stock footage. Maybe I missed it but there were little or no mention of his race at Donnigton in the wet, the greatest lap of all time, why? Knowing it was about Senna, you knew it was going to lean to his side, but this made Prost look like an evil man and Schumacher only gets one mention to say he was using illegal traction control. Whole seasons were skipped for some reason, BBC can show a round up of a season in 5 minutes and that is when you include other drivers. I can only think this was done to appeal to non-F1 fans. The greatest offence was to show a dead body lying in the middle of a track near the start but show half of this time to actually see him driving other than his last lap. Worth a watch but other than the pre-race drivers meeting footage (why don't we see those now), there was nothing new or worth raving about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 485 ✭✭guyfo

I thought it was a pretty good movie. You have to consider that it is a 90 min movie and had to be a box office draw to be a success. Ive heard that the 3 hr directors cut is supposed to be much better in terms of showing prost in a better light and having more in depth of an insight into his f1 and pre f1 career.
    FrostyJack wrote: »
    The greatest offence was to show a dead body lying in the middle of a track near the start

I dont remember seeing a dead body lying on the track at any point in the movie. What bit are you talking about?

guyfo wrote: »
    I thought it was a pretty good movie. You have to consider that it is a 90 min movie and had to be a box office draw to be a success. Ive heard that the 3 hr directors cut is supposed to be much better in terms of showing prost in a better light and having more in depth of an insight into his f1 and pre f1 career.

Yeah I read that, but that isn't the one most are commenting on.
    guyfo wrote:
    I dont remember seeing a dead body lying on the track at any point in the movie. What bit are you talking about?

39 mins in, Martin Donnelly for Lotus at the 1990 Spanish GP, is the one I am refering to, horrible crash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

FrostyJack wrote: »

39 mins in, Martin Donnelly for Lotus at the 1990 Spanish GP, is the one I am refering to, horrible crash.

he survived

Grim. wrote: »
    he survived

Just read up on it there, my bad, he was very very lucky considering, still horrible injuries:

"Donnelly’s injuries were grave. X-rays showed he had bruising on his lungs and brain – the impact was so violent it cracked his crash helmet. He also had severe breaks to both legs and lost a lot of blood.

After being treated by Professor Sid Watkins at the track Donnelly was transferred to a hospital in Seville. During a long recovery he suffered kidney failure and was on dialysis for weeks. For a while it looked as though his right leg might have to be amputated."

• Advertisement
Advertisement