Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€2 a Day Parking - Enniscorthy

Options
  • 06-09-2010 9:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭

For anyone who doesn't already know -

Enniscorthy Town Council are now operating "€2 a day" parking on the Island Road between Dunnes Stores and The Boys Club.

Hat's off to the Town Council... it's not often they get it right, but in this case I think this is a positive thing. Very handy for anyone that works in the town.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭furerer

All proceeds to the councillors xmas ball.........they gotta have their champers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Even I'm starting to get tired of the cynicism about this forum these days.

And I'm fed up with the rip-off attitude towards motorists in Ireland. Is it not enough that we pay taxes for working, road tax, insurance tax, petrol tax, taxes on the upkeep of the car, etc. I can think of better things to do with 10 euro p.w. than give it to the council.........so they can spend it on what? If the council were so concerned with workers parking their cars they would have introduced free parking for workers in the town. And how will this extra revenue that is generated be spent?
    And to your remark about "cynicism", this is a country that has free speech, does it not? And if you disagree or dislike my remarks that is your perogative, so instead of "labelling" people, come back with a good reason why you think otherwise.
    Why dont we have a levy of 2 euro per day for the council workers that have free parking at council/govt buildings in car parks that were built and paid for with tax payers money? Why is their not a levy on council/govt officials/workers that never pay a penny on transport due to claiming it all back on expenses........and the free limos with 24hr a day drivers.
    You might want to pat the council on the back, but I see it as just another way of getting money out of workers.........and it's my right to say that, and if you do not like that.........tough!

Anniversary:
    This is my 100th post. Do I get a prize?

Don't get your knickers in a twist there son.

If you have a valid and constructive point to make then you should make it.

Christmas Balls and champagne is totally irrelevant to this thread. It's just a cynical remark and serves no purpose. Bashing the town council over and over and over isn't the way forward. No problem with highlighting issues... but it has to be done the right way.

Pay parking is a reality. €2 a day parking is a bargain. Beats paying 80c, €1, €1.20 an hour or whatever the rate might be.

Best put the space to constructive use rather than letting it sit there vacant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

furerer wrote: »
    And to your remark about "cynicism", this is a country that has free speech, does it not?
    And if you disagree or dislike my remarks that is your perogative, so instead of "labelling" people, come back with a good reason why you think otherwise.

I can't give a prize but I can say that your 100 post was excellent.
    Its a pleasure to read a well written post for a change. Your post made an excellent and very intelligent argument. Well done furerer.

Its true to say that it is easy to introduce a parking fee if it does not affect you. Council workers do enjoy free parking, while other PAYE workers find themselves paying yet another tax.

Government Ministers still enjoy State Cars & Jets. While T.D's can claim huge expenses. Something is wrong here, rotten to the core. It needs to be put right.

I agree 100% with furerer, instead of "labelling" people, try to come back with a good argument to support your view or opinion. We are supposed to enjoy free speech in this Country, so do try to make a positive argument without negative labels or insults.

• Advertisement

The majority of people in the town support the new €2 a day parking.

This car park is just like the Athenaeum.

If you want free parking move to the countryside.

jpb1974 wrote: »

This car park is just like the Athenaeum.

If you want free parking move to the countryside.

I think I'll enjoy the humour in your post.

See what I mean about intelligent contributions to the debate.
    I suppose I'm supposed to get on my high horse about the word "majority".... wheres your proof to justifiy that statement? We insist on proof.

€2 a day parking might apease those disgusted by the removal of free parking from the Prom. Irish street isn't as big as the Prom but who cares the Council "solved" the problem. Anyway who will object or organise a petition?

Looks like you are the only majority so far. Son

Best put the space to constructive use rather than letting it sit there vacant.

Shame the council dont implement the same sort of action on the vacant properties around town, the old dunnes has been sitting there as an eyesore for how long? Then there's the old Treacys hotel, the old mill, etc. There's a comprehensive list of vacant buildings around town.........in fact the common word in all these vacant buildings is OLD.........bit like the town council.
    Your statement "Bashing the town council over and over and over isn't the way forward. No problem with highlighting issues... but it has to be done the right way."
    Just what is the right way?

Just what is the right way?

Well at the very least in a manner that if a town councillor did tune into one of these threads that they could take people's views seriously... rather than switching off the minute they start reading the jibes.
    Looks like you are the only majority so far.

Exactly :D

• Advertisement

Well at the very least in a manner that if a town councillor did tune into one of these threads that they could take people's views seriously... rather than switching off the minute they start reading the jibes.

How long has the town council been in power? Are you telling me that they need to "tune in" to a thread to notice peoples views.........I really dont believe some peoples thoughts.
    If the town council are not aware of the problems in this town.....where have they been all these years?.......I'll tell you where they've been........ASLEEP!.........riding high on taxpayers money. And it is not only myself that believes that...........here's a quote from yourself on another thread:
    "Enniscorthy Town Council needs a wake up call as well as better engagement with the Public. This town councillor lark has grown old, become way too systematic and is typically way too small scale in it's thinking." and another:
    "If I were to call a spade a spade... Enniscorthy really is a bit of a shít hole... it has loads of potential but nobody seems arsed to take it in any sort of positive direction. Personally I think it all stems from the lack of employment in the town... we've never had a major employer in Enniscorthy."

Well, well, well, looks like your views are not too far from mine.........except I'm a bit more consistent.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

How about a permit scheme for workers in the town that gives an exemption to those working in the town.All they need do is register through their employers and get a permit to display for free parking.God knows businesses in the town pay enough in rates as it is without having the workers penalized aswell.It cost me almost 6 euro for about 90 mins parking in Waterford recently-now thats a ripoff.Personally I hate the idea of pay parking but it's an evil that will never go away,where is the revenue generated spent in the town? There's only so many flowers that can be planted nice and all that they are,so where's the rest spent?

An excellent idea zerks. It would certainly show that the town council do have an interest in the workers.

Well, well, well, looks like your views are not too far from mine.........except I'm a bit more consistent.
    Our views may be similar but I'd like to think that the manner in which I express mine would be drastically different than your ranting and raving.

As for consistency... well if I think something is moving in a positive direction I will say as much... I don't need to consistently put down the council just because I'm too stubborn to see anything in a positive light. You seem perfectly happy to tar everyone in the council with the same brush.
    Are you telling me that they need to "tune in" to a thread to notice peoples views
    Where did I say they (the council) "need to tune in to a thread"?

The only issue here is that you've been shown up as the cynical fart that you are and now you're trying to argue you way out of the truth. You harping on about job perks, levies, taxes and limos isn't going to make the situation any better. I'm all for wanting the town to be better but I don't feel the need to put a negative spin on everything.

Our views may be similar but I'd like to think that the manner in which I express mine would be drastically different than your ranting and raving.

As for consistency... well if I think something is moving in a positive direction I will say as much... I don't need to consistently put down the council just because I'm too stubborn to see anything in a positive light. You seem perfectly happy to tar everyone in the council with the same brush.

Where did I say they (the council) "need to tune in to a thread"?

The only issue here is that you've been shown up as the cynical fart that you are and now you're trying to argue you way out of the truth. You harping on about job perks, levies, taxes and limos isn't going to make the situation any better. I'm all for wanting the town to be better but I don't feel the need to put a negative spin on everything.

I believe that JPB1974 has memory loss.........shall I prove it? yes, here we go......and just in case JPB1974 has trouble seeing/reading I'll make it clear. Here is a quote from JPB1974 in another thread:

"As far as I am concerned there should be areas dotted around the place for people to park for free in order to assist people working in the town or commuting."

But you still believe in 2euro a day parking for workers???????? Double standards.
    Here's another one :

"Enniscorthy Town Council needs a wake up call as well as better engagement with the Public. This town councillor lark has grown old, become way too systematic and is typically way too small scale in it's thinking."

and another:

"If I were to call a spade a spade... Enniscorthy really is a bit of a shít hole... it has loads of potential but nobody seems arsed to take it in any sort of positive direction. Personally I think it all stems from the lack of employment in the town... we've never had a major employer in Enniscorthy."

Then you ask:

"Where did I say they (the council) "need to tune in to a thread"?

Firstly, you have not quoted me correctly, I put the quotes either side of "tune in", typical to take me out of context.
    and here's when you said it:

"Well at the very least in a manner that if a town councillor did tune into one of these threads that they could take people's views seriously".

That was only 5 comments ago..........
    So I've been shown up as a cynical fart......and trying to argue my way out of the truth. Just what is the truth?......and about what? If my memory serves me correctly this thread is about 2 euro a day parking......which you believe in, in this thread........but not in another........and something I do not believe in, in this thread or any other. Then you choose to change tactics and accuse me of showing up the town council with my "tarring everyone with the same brush"........but it's ok for you to do it.........again, in other threads........double standards again.
    I will HARP on about anything I wish.........and you are not going to stop me. The only thing that is consistent with you is inconsistency.

If you read my original post I stated that I felt that €2 a day parking is a positive thing.

Yes, free parking for people that work in the town would be nice to have, but in it's absence the €2 a day parking is a decent compromise... (do you understand?)... as opposed to paying the more expensive hourly rates along with the hassle of trekking back to your car every 2 hours to change the pay & display ticket. It's cheaper and more convenient... a 'positive' thing.

As for my remarks in relation to the town council: My remarks were simple and to the point. No ranting and raving or cynical remarks about things that are totally irrelevant to improving Enniscorthy e.g. parties, champagne, job perks, limos. Do you think that that sort of stuff is going to make people tune in and listen to your point(s)? Of course I have my reservations about the way the town is being run... but I don't always have to look at the glass as half empty.
    I will HARP on about anything I wish.........and you are not going to stop me.

Anyway... you rant on about Christmas Balls, Champagne & Limos and see where that gets you... I'm tuning out now.

furerer - ignore list - done.

If we must have a €2 per day parking, then why wasn't it introduced on the Prom?

I don't understand the logic of having a town centre car park with all day parking - leaving very little if any parking spaces for hourly parking in the Town Centre!

Surely the Prom had a number of workers that parked all day. The Prom is not really classed as "town centre". It a beautiful place to walk but not will loads of shopping bags!

If we must have a €2 per day parking, then why wasn't it introduced on the Prom?

No idea. Best direct that question to the town council.
    I don't understand the logic of having a town centre car park with all day parking - leaving very little if any parking spaces for hourly parking in the Town Centre!

I don't see how converting an un-used yard for parking purposes affects the volume of parking spaces elsewhere?
    Surely the Prom had a number of workers that parked all day. The Prom is not really classed as "town centre". It a beautiful place to walk but not will loads of shopping bags!

Not sure about the relevance of this point to be honest, or maybe I'm just not understanding what you're saying.

Not sure about the relevance of this point to be honest, or maybe I'm just not understanding what you're saying.

Its easy to understand my point but IMO it is difficult to understand the Councils logic. Let me explain - the Council introduces hourly paid parking on the Prom, an area populated by people/ workers that park on the Prom all day. These people are then forced to park elsewhere. Then the Council starts "€2 all day parking" on Irish Street, near Dunnes Stores and the Market Square /Main Street shopping area - IMO the centre of Town.

Now I can't park in the centre of town on Irish street because of workers parking there all day. The Prom is a bit of a walk for your average shopper or busy person wanting to drop in & go quickly.

The council do not want any free parking in the town.
    2 euro now........when budget comes..........5 euro........the following year 10 euro.
    There will come a point in the workers lives where it will become financially unviable to work.........then the council will think up new charges.
    I'm sure sometimes that council members.......and not just Enniscorthy.........are just not in the real world. They seem to just keep thinking up ways to get more of your money as the govt. gives them less, and refuse to cut their own lavish expense accounts, and ott wages. How many councillers are in Enniscorthy.........too many.
    Perhaps they need the extra for their dinners, drinking, and craig......just like that big oaf cowan.

• Advertisement

These people are then forced to park elsewhere. Then the Council starts "€2 all day parking" on Irish Street, near Dunnes Stores and the Market Square /Main Street shopping area - IMO the centre of Town.

Now I can't park in the centre of town on Irish street because of workers parking there all day. The Prom is a bit of a walk for your average shopper or busy person wanting to drop in & go quickly.

I understand what you're saying now.

But the reality is that in effect the number of spaces all around the town are still the same for shoppers so they can continue to park in all of the usual places. If you shopped in or around any of the main supermarkets all the car park spaces that were originally in the vicinity are still there.

The fact is that nobody heading to town to shop is being forced to park on the Prom as a result of this new car park... so I don't feel that the point your trying to put across is really all that valid.

I passed by the new car park on Monday afternoon and there were plenty of vacant spaces.

... so I don't feel that the point your trying to put across is really all that valid.

Thats fine, I feel I've made my point quite clear and its a valid point. I'm not sure you understand it, but I'm not here to convince you.

The Prom is a long established all day car park, then the Council introduced hourly parking and later opened a €2 all day parking in the centre of town!

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭5ForKeeps

One of the few ideas they have got right. Whats the story with Rafter Street are they still looking to Pedestrianise that street?

Whats the story with Rafter Street are they still looking to Pedestrianise that street?

I'm not sure about it being pedestrianised (in so far as I haven't heard anything) but at the very least they need to look at making the section between the Court House and Sam McCauley's one way. It can get very sticky there at times.

The funny thing is... if there was no parking permitted here along the Bookshop side there'd be no problem with cars passing up and down... but that's another story.

Advertisement