Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Back to Education Allowance/Part Time Job Question

• 06-09-2010 9:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭

Hiya

I recently started a part time bar job in preparation for starting college next week as a mature student, working no more than 2 nights a week.

From what I understood, I could work no more than 3 days per week and still receive B.T.E or Job Seekers allowance for the remaining days that I didn't work.

However, upon notifying them this morning that I recently started a P/T Job and wished to apply for the B.T.E allowance for the other days, they told me that I am not allowed to have a part time job BEFORE I apply for allowance, and that it would be in my interest to quit the job and THEN apply for the allowance.

I'm actually still in shock that they told me to quit my job to receive benefit.

Can this be correct?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭Generation Terrorist

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭jujuB

Unfortuately this is true. It is totally ridiculous I know. My partner is also starting college next week and will be receiving Back to Education. He was told 2 months ago that while he is in the wait for being granted the Back to Education allowance he cannot work until he receives it. Very, very silly. He is starting his course next week and should receive his payments fairly quick and THEN he can work if he can get a job. Hopefully your employer wont mind waiting for you to start college and receiving your payments.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭Generation Terrorist

jujuB wrote: »
    Unfortuately this is true. It is totally ridiculous I know. My partner is also starting college next week and will be receiving Back to Education. He was told 2 months ago that while he is in the wait for being granted the Back to Education allowance he cannot work until he receives it. Very, very silly. He is starting his course next week and should receive his payments fairly quick and THEN he can work if he can get a job. Hopefully your employer wont mind waiting for you to start college and receiving your payments.....

Cheers for the response :)

Then I went back down yesterday and a different guy told me that what the first guy told me was complete nonsense and I would still be applicable for back to education allowance while working a part time job

I'm confused :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭jujuB

That's silly?! That's whats wrong with this bloody country! Nobody is clear about anything! My advice would be not to start work, just in case... You could maybe go to your employer and explain, hopefully he will be understanding and wont mind hanging on a few weeks...? Hope this helped :o

Advertisement