Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road Trip

Options
  • 06-09-2010 10:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

I am going for a drive around Ireland next week. I’m going from Galway to Dublin via the north i.e . . . . Donegal Derry Coleraine Belfast and down to Dublin. I am just wondering if there are any toll bridges on this route. Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭aquascrotum

No road tolls in NI - you'll be tolled in RoI on the M1 at Drogheda.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭galwayfreak

oh thats good to know . now to figure out where to get cheap petrol up there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭aquascrotum

Fill up before you cross the border. In NI the cheapest fuel I've seen in a while is Asda Coleraine - not hard to find either.

thanks aqua

• Registered Users Posts: 46,014 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Yes, petrol and diesel are much cheaper in the Republic.

• Advertisement

muffler wrote: »
    Yes, petrol and diesel are much cheaper in the Republic.

i thought the north was vat free or something like that sure we pay crazy tax on petrol

i thought the north was vat free or something like that sure we pay crazy tax on petrol
    Their VAT rate is lower - 17.5% I think - but for some strange reason their petrol prices are higher. Add on the exchange rate and it puts it way up in price. Most NI motorists living close to the border always come out to the Republic to fill their tanks.

I passed a filling station just on the norther side of the border on Saturday last and their petrol price was £1.15 per litre. That would equate to around €1.42 - €1.43

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Their VAT rate is lower - 17.5% I think - but for some strange reason their petrol prices are higher. Add on the exchange rate and it puts it way up in price. Most NI motorists living close to the border always come out to the Republic to fill their tanks.

I passed a filling station just on the norther side of the border on Saturday last and their petrol price was £1.15 per litre. That would equate to around €1.42 - €1.43

Yes its true that your petrol is cheaper but we have a stronger econmy so its going to be more expensive.... also remember that yous are converting from a different currency so it won't really be accurate our petrol is probably far cheaper than yours in reality. You can get it for 1.08 in asda i think or even sainsburies, for some odd reason they are cheap.....

owenc wrote: »
    Yes its true that your petrol is cheaper
    we have a stronger econmy so its going to be more expensive
    our petrol is probably far cheaper than yours in reality.
    Thanks, that's cleared that issue up :D

You can get it for 1.08 in asda i think or even sainsburies, for some odd reason they are cheap.....
    Never tell half a story ;) When you spend a certain amount on shopping in places like Asda then you get a discount on the petrol. I think the amount may be a minimum of £50 but I am open to correction.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Thanks, that's cleared that issue up :D

Never tell half a story ;) When you spend a certain amount on shopping in places like Asda then you get a discount on the petrol. I think the amount may be a minimum of £50 but I am open to correction.

What!? No that is the acutal price.. and asda don't do that its only tesco.

• Advertisement
Advertisement