Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What brewing technique's do you use...?

Options
  • 06-09-2010 10:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭

Hi there,

Just wondering what others are using to brew their coffee and how different an effect it has on the flavor! I have been using my espresso machine for the last year and a half. A Gaggia Classic and the way I like coffee is with steamed milk!

Recently I have been watching Steves vids from Hasbeans (In My Mug) and I might take the plunge and buy a three month subscription but before I do I think I’ll have to expand my brewing technique's to get the most from this and you never know discover a way of drinking coffee that will amaze me even more!

These are the brewing methods I’m looking at:

1. AeroPress
    2. Chemex
    3. Hario V60

Just wondering if people use these methods and how they find them? I have a Rancillio Rocky grinder so grinding the beans won’t be a problem adjusting any settings might be! Also just wondering where I might buy such equipment! Is coffee Angel gone?

Thanks for any direction.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Firstly, I’d rather pull my own teeth then try and adjust grinds for between espresso and filter. You’ll waste a bag of beans dialling it in every time you change it. Remember you’re going to have beans for espresso in your hopper; you’ll have to remove them, clean out the burrs, put in the filter beans and adjust the grind every time you want to switch methods – no thanks. You’d be better off buying a second grinder.
    I’ve a French press, a V60, an aeropress, a chemex as well as various other types of pour-over, I also use a brewtus III for espresso based drinks. The french press is what I use most for filter coffee, followed then by the V60. I’d recommend picking up a second grinder and getting a French press, master this before you start looking at pour-overs.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

If I were you, I'd get a hand grinder or a cheaper electric grinder for your brew coffee, and keep your Rocky for the espresso.

I have the Hario V60 in the office and find it great. French press at home, but don't use it too often, I'm a bigger fan of the results from the V60.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭donnacha

Hey Cableguy - I use both the Chemex and the V60, both are simple to use and similar results. I'm yet to try the aeropress.

I agree with Mr M that trying to use your Rocky for both espresso and filter is going to be a total nightmare. I ended up buying a Maestro Plus for filter and tend to just weigh before grinding - Karl definitely has them at coffee angel http://www.coffeeangel.com/en/products-page

Good luck with the adventure!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

last couple of weeks with an aeropress, beans ground using a vario. hopefully later on tonight going to go back to espresso, assuming I get to pick my classic up from hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

I brew with the following:

Rancillio Silvia / Gaggia Evolution - Espresso
    V60 / Chemex / Aeropress - Filter
    French press - Press

I have 4 grinders, a Vario, Ibertal MC2, a Kyocera hand mill and an antique pre-1900 hand mill.

I can use the Vario for all 3 methods but prefer to use it for Espresso and Filter.
    Switching between the two isn't that difficult and I waste at most 3 shots worth of coffee.
    I use the Kyocera and antique for Aeropress and French press.

The MC2 is used only for Espresso in work on the Gaggia.

• Advertisement
Advertisement