Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

unzipping large file

• 06-09-2010 10:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭

morning all,

have a problem unzipping large file, the file in question is 4.4GB and it appears to unzip to 50% and then grow and grow and grow with no increase in percentage performed

have let it run to 10GB over the course of 2hrs before cancelling

the file consists of a lot of .xml files which seem to just unzip and unzip unzip

it appears to be unzipping as when using WINRAR I can see the file count increasing and increasing number is in the region of 2000000 unzipped after 2.5hrs

I am using WINRAR to unzip the file

I am unzipping from C\downloads to desktop

my machine is an Advent laptop Intel CORE Duo 2.2GHZ 2GB RAM 250GB hard drive

anyone got any ideas?

regards,
    aidan

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

Dump Winrar and try 7zip instead. It's probably the best at very large files.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

aidanki wrote: »
    the file consists of a lot of .xml files which seem to just unzip and unzip unzip

;):p

Did you try a repair on the file? Or try another extractor? (eg 7zip, it'll extract .rar files)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭aidanki

chin_grin wrote: »
    ;):p

Did you try a repair on the file? Or try another extractor? (eg 7zip, it'll extract .rar files)

how do I do a repair on the file?

to answer your question havn't tried a repair!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭noxqs

Can I assume that its approximately 2,000,000 files of average size 2.3kB?

That would take quite some time to unpack. Each file will have to go through a series of steps and APIs with latency between each step. Lets say it can unpack 1 file per 10 milliseconds (or 100 per second) it would take 5.55 Hours.

Did you try to just let it finish over night ? Text normally compresses quite alot, especially if it is code which has a certain structure, making the compression ratio even higher.

Advertisement