Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fitness Test

• 06-09-2010 10:26am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭

Hi lads,
    I just have a quick question regarding the fitness test for general enlistment.
    I have the 1.5mile run down to about 9mins so I should be ok in that (unless Im unlucky enough to get a stitch or something!)
    The push-ups shouldn't be much of a problem either. The thing is any time I do sit-ups I always have my feet supported and find it difficult without support. So my question is in the test are you allowed support your feet or not?
    If not I'll just have to brush up on the sit-ups without support and it wont be much of a deal but I'm better when they're supported.

Also for the interview stage for general enlistment is a suit necessary or just smart dress?

Cheers :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

Never any harm in looking smart, brush off the tin of fruit for the occasion. RE sit ups they are un-supported so get going on them!

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭superref

[
    Also for the interview stage for general enlistment is a suit necessary or just smart dress?

No,just go in flip flops and shorts they wont mind !!!!!!
    Cheers :)[/QUOTE]

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Brian Clowen

Hi Dean09,

The defence forces life test sit up or thte DF crunch as some people call it, can be very hard for people who have only ever done normal sit ups with their ankles been held.

The new DF crunch requires your two feet flat on the deck and your heels approx 12" from your butt, your arms must be straight and stay in contact with your upper thigh at all times, your knuckles should come over your knees this makes sure that each one is counted without doubt, your lower back must stay in contact with the deck and your shoulders and upper back must be touched down at each rep, keep your head in a neutral position do not allow it to flop around. Remember to breath at all times.

The DF crunch is harder than normal sit ups for the first while because your hip flexors in your upper thigh are not in use during a pure crunch, a lot of the work of the old sit up was done by the upper thigh muscles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

Practice, practice, practice. Oh and practice, practice practice, and if in doubt.....:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

iceage wrote: »
    Practice, practice, practice. Oh and practice, practice practice, and if in doubt.....:)

Let me guess...........................practice?? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Dean09 wrote: »
    Let me guess...........................practice?? :D

No, blackmail!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭gunnerfitzy

Hi lads,

Cheers :)

Just think:
    a. All parts of the selection process are pass or fail except for the interview. Therefore, subject to passing all other stages, the performance at the interview is the deciding factor on placings in the competition.

b. only about 1 in 30 who will be walk into the interview will be offered a position.

I would looking to make the best possible impression on the interview board.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭unit88

sorry to butt in but can someone explain the full fitness test as i cannot find it on military's official site thanks for any help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

For General Service or Cadets - go to the relevant section on military.ie and download the appropriate handbook. The tests were identical three years ago but there was an extra 10 seconds added to the run for Cadets in 2009. This may be the same for GS but is not reflected in the GS Handbook which still states 10 mins 30 secs (you should be aiming for under 10 mins in any case)

Edit - the FAQ's on the website indicate 10 mins 40 secs for the run and detail the requirements for the fitness test. The page helpfully entitled 'Fitness Testing' contains a training plan and videos on correct technique.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 SICKBOi

where do they hold the fitness tests in Collins barracks cork? is it on there Gaa pitch or around the barracks or on a track?

• Advertisement

There is a park across from the bks with a soccer pitch. You do 3 (4?) and a bit laps of the path around the park. There's a hill so you'll be running up and down, you wouldn't want to be tight to the [edit]11 mins 40 secs[/edit] to be honest.

Edit - last time I did it there it was for the annual fitness tests (3.2 km) so the entry fitness test (2.4 km) is 3/4 of the approximate distance above.

concussion wrote: »
    For General Service or Cadets - go to the relevant section on military.ie and download the appropriate handbook. The tests were identical three years ago but there was an extra 10 seconds added to the run for Cadets in 2009. This may be the same for GS but is not reflected in the GS Handbook which still states 10 mins 30 secs (you should be aiming for under 10 mins in any case)

Edit - the FAQ's on the website indicate 10 mins 40 secs for the run and detail the requirements for the fitness test. The page helpfully entitled 'Fitness Testing' contains a training plan and videos on correct technique.

Is it not 11 mins 40 secs?

Is it not 11 mins 40 secs?

It is indeed, my apologies. Will edit my post.

There is a park across from the bks with a soccer pitch.

thanks for the info is that soccer pitch open to the public? would like to practice up there

Does anybody know the route they use for the fitness test in Dublin? Its somewhere in the park I think but I don't know which route.
    It would be good to get a bit of practice in on the route. No harm in having a head start I suppose.

SICKBOi wrote: »
    thanks for the info is that soccer pitch open to the public? would like to practice up there

I think it's a public park - not 100% though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭PatsytheNazi

Hi Dean09,

The defence forces life test sit up or thte DF crunch as some people call it, can be very hard for people who have only ever done normal sit ups with their ankles been held.

The new DF crunch requires your two feet flat on the deck and your heels approx 12" from your butt, your arms must be straight and stay in contact with your upper thigh at all times, your knuckles should come over your knees this makes sure that each one is counted without doubt, your lower back must stay in contact with the deck and your shoulders and upper back must be touched down at each rep, keep your head in a neutral position do not allow it to flop around. Remember to breath at all times.

The DF crunch is harder than normal sit ups for the first while because your hip flexors in your upper thigh are not in use during a pure crunch, a lot of the work of the old sit up was done by the upper thigh muscles.
    Crunchies should be easy enough for any young man to do. How many are you expected to do ?

20 in a minute for the entrance fitness test and a series of grades for the annual tests. For the annual testing, those between 17 and 29 need a minimum 26 for a pass (Grade 4 of 6) and over 41 for a Grade 1. The crunches are sufficiently different to traditional ones that some practice is required in order to learn the technique.

hi Ive the fitness test in Collins barracks on the 27th it says i need the following to gain access.Photographic ID - Passport, Driving Licence, Garda ID or National ID Card only.
    Irish Nationals - Birth Certificate.
    I don't have a passport at the moment will i get in with just a birth cert?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 339 ✭✭ChapOfDRyans

I have the fitness test on the 28th but as it stands now i would fail the test.

Anybody any tips to get up to scratch for running and push-up aspect of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

I have the fitness test on the 28th but as it stands now i would fail the test.

Anybody any tips to get up to scratch for running and push-up aspect of the test

The run,we are always told is to run the distance and time yourself,and everyday try to set a new time. Then beat that and so on.

As for the push ups,do say 20,the the next day add on say 5,and keep doing that. You have to make sure you are doing the right though.

Make sure you are doing the correct sit-ups too,the army version.

And keep the diet clean I suppose,I feel such a difference if I keep well hydrated and well fed coming up to any day of physical exertion.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭theirishguy

The run,we are always told is to run the distance and time yourself,and everyday try to set a new time. Then beat that and so on..
    i have a question is it a run where you run as fast as you can or is it a fast jog?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

i have a question is it a run where you run as fast as you can or is it a fast jog?

As far as I know with recruitment fitness test its a 1.5 mile run to be finished within a certain time.

I had to complete a test for a course and it was a 2 mile run in under 15:30 minutes to pass,so you were running a fairly steady pace.

20 in a minute for the entrance fitness test and a series of grades for the annual tests. For the annual testing, those between 17 and 29 need a minimum 26 for a pass (Grade 4 of 6) and over 41 for a Grade 1. The crunches are sufficiently different to traditional ones that some practice is required in order to learn the technique.
    Sounds pretty easy to be honest, even I could quite easily do that. Now I wonder how many would someone have to do in the US Navy Seals ? 60 in a minute I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Sounds pretty easy to be honest, even I could quite easily do that. Now I wonder how many would someone have to do in the US Navy Seals ? 60 in a minute I'd say.

You are comparing a DF entrance fitness test and a DF annual fitness test againt a US Special forces fitness test!

A Navy Seal needs to do 52 sit ups in 2 minutes. Which equates to 26 each minute.....the same as the annual DF fitness test. If you are going to try and belittle the DF and members of the DF please do some research instead of having a guess.

The ARW fitness test is harder than the usual DF annual one

benwavner wrote: »
    You are comparing a DF entrance fitness test and a DF annual fitness test againt a US Special forces fitness test!

A Navy Seal needs to do 52 sit ups in 2 minutes. Which equates to 26 each minute.....the same as the annual DF fitness test. If you are going to try and belittle the DF and members of the DF please do some research instead of having a guess.

I thought if I was belittleing anyone in post #25 it was myself !!!!....." even I could quite easily do that. " :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

I thought if I was belittleing anyone in post #25 it was myself !!!!....." even I could quite easily do that. " :)

I understand what you are saying, it does read two ways but thats the way it came across to me.

People generally are full of "pfft, that looks easy, I could do that". The combination of saying its easy when you have never done it and the fact that you incorrectly compared it to a foreign SF units fitness test. It just reaked of the DF are **** and everyone else are better.

No hard feelings :):):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

benwavner wrote: »

I can do more than that in a minute... Off to BUD/S I go. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

i taught the army's fitness test would be a lot tougher to be honest lads, i wouldn't call someone fit who barely gets 20 push ups and sit ups in a minute, iv seen harder fitness tests in secondary schools and im not kidding.

the way your describing the DF sit up sounds like the intermediate sit up with the hands behind the ears being the advanced and hands across the chest as the beginner version, all 3 versions are practiced throughout the health and fitness industry so its nothing new.

I dont mean to sound like a di*k but I actually think anyone (mainly males) who doesnt get at least 35 - 40 in both brackets especially sit ups should seriously look in the mirror if your going for a tough physical job.

its amazing, i know its nothing to do with the army but the garda fitness test must be an absolute joke, never ceases to amaze me how many overweight garda are in this country and nothing done about it.

just my 2 cents lads, 10 quid someone will attack me on this for upsetting someone:D joke

• Advertisement

The entrance fitness test is to ensure that applicants have a BASE level of fitness in order to screen out the unfit and to minimise injuries during robust military training. Once in, the physical requirements ramp up considerably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

Also, you are stopped once you complete the 20 push-ups and sit-ups, regardless of how easy or tough you found them.

Not long left until my fitness test. Still stuggling to complete the said amount of running in 11.40

Sorry to be blunt, but I've no sympathy for anyone who can't pass the entrance fitness test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Not long left until my fitness test. Still stuggling to complete the said amount of running in 11.40

I was struggling to make that time before i did mine. But you'll be running as part of a group on the day and i found that helpful. I was able to pass on the day as a result.

Sorry to be blunt, but I've no sympathy for anyone who can't pass the entrance fitness test.

Being blunt is good saves on peoples interprutation of what you say being taken up wrong.

Nobody here is asking for sympathy but maybe support and who ever passes/fails it was entirly in there own hands

• Advertisement

I do appreciate that neither you, nor anyone else is looking for sympathy, perhaps it was the wrong word to use. However, all this focus on the fitness tests is driving me mad as so many people are getting hung up on them. For someone hoping for a career in the DF this shouldn't be an obstacle, it should be a tick the box exercise. The bigger problem should be passing the interviews as there will be a huge amount of applicants.

This isn't directed at you personally by the way, it has been annoying me for weeks. If you want support, just look over all the posts made on this forum, there's a huge amount of information posted by a lot of people on the subject of general service, fitness and cadet competitions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Challenge Fitness

For someone hoping for a career in the DF this shouldn't be an obstacle, it should be a tick the box exercise. The bigger problem should be passing the interviews as there will be a huge amount of applicants.

Have to agree with Concussion on this, this is merely a box ticking exercise. This is just the army's way of getting rid of time wasters. 20 push ups and sit ups isn't much and the run. With a few weeks of starting training, you will almost be praying they go back to the "handy" 20 push ups/sit ups and 1 and a half mile run.

I also struggled with the sit ups when they came in, not because I couldn't do sit ups, but because I couldn't do the army ones. They are the same as taught by most fitness professionals in Ireland.

The trick is PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE. You should be doing them before every meal. Do full Army sit ups (wrists up to the knees) until muscle fatigue, then half do them (finger tips to the knees). Add in a few obliques (right hand to left knee and vice versa). The technique will come with practice.

If it is a case that you can't do any type of sit up, then you have a whole different type of problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 hippyrod

i have my fitness test next week and wil pass it just wondering does anyone know what sort of questions are asked in the interview

Advertisement