Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Don't know whats wrong.

• 06-09-2010 10:46am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭

Hey, so about this time a year ago, I brought my old dell into some crepair shop because I couldn't for the life of me figure out waht was wrong with it. they told me it was overheating, so I replaced the fans, and remounted them, and nw it boots fine. They also reinstalled windows vista onto it, which doesn't run on the specs...(p4, 512MB ram, onboard GFX) and it didn't work properly, so I had to reformat and reinstall winxp again. Since installing XP, I have been unable to install any drivers for any haradware, including my cable modem, (usb drivers for it), my ethernet adapter(built into mobo) GFX (external or internal), sound card. And also, it won't read any USB devices at all. They don't show up on the device manager. Well the cable modem does whenc onnected through USB, but no key drives..... I've tried everythign I can think of, and have reinstalled 3 times using different sources - this particular copy was got off MSDN and I had to burn the iso myself, thought it may have been corrupt so reburned at 2.4x speed, and still no luck..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

You need to get drivers for your motherboard/chipset. Dell should have them on their website, if you put in your Serial number, or model type.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

what do you mean by "unable to install any drivers"? where are you sourcing the drivers, and how are you trying to install them? what errors are you getting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Groinshot

You need to get drivers for your motherboard/chipset. Dell should have them on their website, if you put in your Serial number, or model type.

I'm pretty sure I trid to install them already, will give it another shot in a min though, may have ben trying the wrong ones.
    Adam wrote: »
    what do you mean by "unable to install any drivers"? where are you sourcing the drivers, and how are you trying to install them? what errors are you getting?

Sourcing the drivers from dell, using their search function for model type. I'm not getting an error, it just never finishes. I haven't tried installing anything other than drivers yet.

recommend you try downloading tinyxp rev10, it has and excellent driver pack on it that you can use as a stand alone program, scans your devices and matches them with relevant drivers in the background, if it fails you may give up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

download your network card drivers on a different machine and put them on a disk. The install them to the PC.
    If you have the dell resource CD that came with the PC they should already be on that. Once you have the network card up and running you should be able to download the rest of the drivers from dell direct.

Fresh install of winxp rarely (for me at least) has the needed drivers. Hence the resource cd ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Groinshot

Adam wrote: »
    recommend you try downloading tinyxp rev10, it has and excellent driver pack on it that you can use as a stand alone program, scans your devices and matches them with relevant drivers in the background, if it fails you may give up!

I'd prefer a fresh install, don't know what comes with these things sometimes... But thanks :)
    Noxin wrote: »
    download your network card drivers on a different machine and put them on a disk. The install them to the PC.
    If you have the dell resource CD that came with the PC they should already be on that. Once you have the network card up and running you should be able to download the rest of the drivers from dell direct.

Fresh install of winxp rarely (for me at least) has the needed drivers. Hence the resource cd ;)

I've reformatted before, and it worked okay. Anyway, turns out I needed the chipset drivers, I just hadn't installed them first, because of the stupid numbering system. Thanks :)

Groinshot wrote: »
    I'd prefer a fresh install, don't know what comes with these things sometimes... But thanks :)

I've reformatted before, and it worked okay. Anyway, turns out I needed the chipset drivers, I just hadn't installed them first, because of the stupid numbering system. Thanks :)
    you could do a fresh install then, it will also extract the drivers during installation...

Advertisement