Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tri3 - Kilrush

• 06-09-2010 10:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Congrats to everyone who competed in this on Saturday, what a beautiful day. I haven't read any feedback comments on the event yet so started this thread. I thoroughly enjoyed the day but found a no. of organisational issues quite annoying. Many of the littles gripes I have probably wouldn't bother me at all if it was a charity fundraiser / club organised race, but as far as I know this was a for-profit event run so I expect a higher standard and so am less forgiving. I have emailed the organisers with my comments, but would be interested to hear of any other similar or opposing views.

On the plus side:
    The weather and the great support from locals in their front gardens, on the road and in particular approaching the transition and finish in the town - I felt like a superstar approaching the finish line with all the clapping and cheering - thank you people of Kilrush! There was a great atmosphere around the town and the locals seemed happy to have an event there. Also there were plenty of marshals on the cycle & run course (although I didn't see a single mobile draft marshal!), clearly indicating where to go and warning of any dangers ahead.

On the negative side:
    On registration, I was told that there were no t-shirts left - a minor issue considering that I usually never wear them again but surely the organisers should have known how many people had entered and either should have had ordered enough or stuck to a max entry limit?

They also ran out of water at the finish for a few minutes which understandably caused a lot of anger amongst those who finished at this time (also bear in mind that it was quite warm). I had finished by this stage and had my fill, so it didn't affect me, and I believe more supplies arrived a few minutes later.

The swim section seemed very poorly organised. I was in wave 2 and was one of the many barely off the pontoon and in the water, still 70m from the start point when the starting foghorn went off! I also know that some swimmers cut inside all the buoys and didn't see any canoe marshalls redirecting them. I was chatting with one guy beforehand who was very nervous and was asking me what to do if he got in trouble in the swim. He said that he had swum the distance in the pool before, so to try and relax him, I told him that there usually are plenty of water safety guys in canoes or boats who'd be watching out for struggling swimmers, and to lie on his back with hand raised to draw attention to himself. However when I was in the water myself I didn't see any (I hope he made it ok!). Neither I nor the nervous gent heard any water safety instructions at the race briefing. Also, the swim exit was fairly hairy - only one narrow mat / carpet going up the slip with very slippy stone on either side.

Finally, I didn't see a single draft marshall on the cycle course - a pet hate of mine and I know people shouldn't draft anyway, but the fact is that some do unless there's someone watching! One guy was on my back wheel for the guts of 5k!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

I have to say I'd a great day. I'd a mate with me to do the running section as I'd injured the bottom of my foot prior to the race. Fair play to the organisers who were very accomodating in transferring my entry to a relay on the week of the race.
    gombeen99 wrote: »
    On the negative side:
    On registration, I was told that there were no t-shirts left - a minor issue considering that I usually never wear them again but surely the organisers should have known how many people had entered and either should have had ordered enough or stuck to a max entry limit?

As an added negative, both mine and my mate's t-shirts had holes in them :( Not the organiser's fault clearly, but just a bit crap as I do wear the t-shirts, but won't be wearing this one.
    The swim section seemed very poorly organised. I was in wave 2 and was one of the many barely off the pontoon and in the water, still 70m from the start point when the starting foghorn went off! I also know that some swimmers cut inside all the buoys and didn't see any canoe marshalls redirecting them. I was chatting with one guy beforehand who was very nervous and was asking me what to do if he got in trouble in the swim. He said that he had swum the distance in the pool before, so to try and relax him, I told him that there usually are plenty of water safety guys in canoes or boats who'd be watching out for struggling swimmers, and to lie on his back with hand raised to draw attention to himself. However when I was in the water myself I didn't see any (I hope he made it ok!). Neither I nor the nervous gent heard any water safety instructions at the race briefing. Also, the swim exit was fairly hairy - only one narrow mat / carpet going up the slip with very slippy stone on either side.

I was in Wave 1 and on the final stretch (from the boats to the exit) I was fairly sure that I could see an orange buoy out to my right hand side. Only one swimmer was heading out to round it, while th rest of the pack (including moi) made a beeline for the exit point.

I'm pretty sure that we all cheated, and asked marshalls and other competitors about it.. everyone seemed clueless about this final buoy?! Also, I kicked what looked like a brick which was holding the mat/carpet down. That wasn't nice :(
    Finally, I didn't see a single draft marshall on the cycle course - a pet hate of mine and I know people shouldn't draft anyway, but the fact is that some do unless there's someone watching! One guy was on my back wheel for the guts of 5k!

I was passed by and passed several groups of 4/5 cyclists at a time who I'd suggest were very clearly making full use of the lack of draft busters.

Not a major gripe for me though.

Overall was a good event, but could have been faaar more organised.

Edit: And there were rumours going round that the cycle was 21.5 odd kms and the run was closer to 6kms long. The few marshalls that I spoke to couldn't confirm it though, which leaves me in a bind over the split times?!

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭gombeen99

connundrum wrote: »
    Also, I kicked what looked like a brick which was holding the mat/carpet down. That wasn't nice :(

Ah, that might explain a nasty enough split on the tip of my big toe and toe no. 2 ... albeit which I only noticed after finishing so can't have been that bad! I couldn't figure out how it might have happened.

PS: I should have said more clearly in my OP that I definitely enjoyed the day, just found some of the organisational kinks a bit annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Times

In relation to the comments made about the swim...I was in wave 3 and just before we got in water I heard one marshall say to the other...'did you tell them (i.e wave 2) to swim round the buoy on the right hand side?' other marshall 'no'. There was nothing said about this which is ridiculous.

Anyone garmin the run thought it was long myself!?

Advertisement