Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I've started "Starting Strength"

Options
  • 06-09-2010 11:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭

Woohoo, kids settled back to school, it's ME time!

Bit about me - female, 36, stay at home mum of two , 5'3, 132lb6oz (was 161lb June 2009, yay me!)

Goals - to get leaner and stronger, lose between 3 and 7 pounds, and an inch off my waist, and to get my body fat down by 5%

Day 1 - found a staff member to show me the racks/machines and even though I've done free weights before I've never used racks.
    So he showed me the Smith machine and I did my squats & bench presses with that.

Squats - 5xempty bar, 5x10kg, 3x15kg, SET 20kg
    Bench Press - 5xempty bar, 5x10kg, SET 15kg
    Deadlift - 5xempty bar, 3x10kg, SET 30kg

Diet wise, I have lost 2lbs in the last week by cutting out most processed carbs, and weaning myself off my daily dark chocolate habit. So I intend to stick with this style of eating.

Also, my cool new food/exercise journal arrived today, great timing. It's called Fitbook, I love it http://www.getfitbook.com/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

Hi

Just a few points I would make and I am no expert :)

You will definately get stronger with the stronf lifts program. Leaner will be diet dependant. You list one of your goals as losing between 3 to 7 lbs. With a program like strong lifts you will gain some muscle. Not in an Arnie type way, but dont be surprised if you lose more than that inch off your waist, but actually weight a littel heavier or the same as you do now. Your weight is just a number on a scales and is not too important in the grand scheme of things IMHO. Your body composition (ration of lean to fat tissue) is a much better guide.

Also IMHO Smith Machines should only be used for inverted rows or hanging your towel on :). The next time you are in the gym, please for your own benefit ask that your instructor shows you how to squat in a proper squat rack and bench on a proper bench with the empty bar. The Smith machine negates a number of stabiliser muscles which are used when lifting free weights and also IMHO in the case of squats, forces you to use an unatural technique.

Finally a little dark chocolate now and again will not derail your goals. I would usually have 2 squares of 90% chocolate after my weights sessions (3 days each week). A little of what you fancy will do you no harm. Cutting out the processed carbs will make a BIG difference.

I remember a joke I heard when I was younger about a guy who goes to his GP and asks if he gives up drinking, smoking, sweet things, sex etc, would he live to be a hundred. And his GP's answer was probably not, but it would sure feel like it :D

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

Serious kudos with the weight loss - well done!!!:D I'm with B-Builder on the Smith Machines, you're better off with a rack for squats. Also, don't be afraid to up the weight once you've got used to the lifts - you'll probably make strength gains pretty quickly if you've never lifted before - which is even more motivating!

Best of luck with it, I'll be following your log with interest :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

B-Builder wrote: »
    Hi
    Also IMHO Smith Machines should only be used for inverted rows or hanging your towel on :). The next time you are in the gym, please for your own benefit ask that your instructor shows you how to squat in a proper squat rack and bench on a proper bench with the empty bar. The Smith machine negates a number of stabiliser muscles which are used when lifting free weights and also IMHO in the case of squats, forces you to use an unatural technique.

Are you sure it’s wise to advise a 36 year old woman who’s given no indication as to her current level of physical preparation (tho it can be assumed to be quite low due to her starting weight) to try and do some potentially complex movements under the advice of a gym instructor who probably can’t even perform the exercises correctly themselves?

We always hear about how we’re not allowed give medical advice, but telling someone to do something which could potentially be dangerous to their health for no other reason than the fact it’s accepted dogma around here is just as bad, in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭dartstothesea

I don't think the smith machine offers much more safety to a beginner than a squat rack or power cage with rails set up, other than the restricted bar path, which I myself would agree actually imposes an unnatural form on squats at least. I started out trying to squat in a smith machine and in retrospect they felt so horrible even with the comparatively small weights I was using then. I think I'd have been much more likely to hurt myself if I stayed in the smith machine. Put that down to bad technique if you will but if the OP's gym instructor can't show proper form for free weights, there's every chance he won't do it for the smith machine either, though 'less' technique may be required there.

I don't mean to even try to advise you here, OP. Best of luck whichever way you go about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

Thanks for feedback B-Builder, It's hard when one has been "dieting" for a long long time (only some of that time successfully!) to not be a slave to the scales but I do appreciate what you're saying. I am certainly not going to complain if I'm shrinking size wise but not on the scales, as long as I see progress that's the main thing.
    Re the chocolate I find that cold turkey is the only way for , I tend to develop a square with every cuppa/sit-down and for me it's a gateway drug :D to biscuits & other sweet "treats".

I had my doubts about the Smith machine myself. Firstly in my head I was thinking "hmmm...I'm sure I've read something about this in Annoying Gym Behaviour" . I even said it to him that it felt like it made it easier (or at least different) because of the rails but he thought it was a good idea. Tbh he didn't look in the best shape himself! There is another instructor down there who I have more faith in so hopefully I can get his help when I go back on Wednesday

Cheers Hanley, sounds like you have me pegged as old & weak! I'll show you! :p

• Advertisement

Hanley wrote: »
    Are you sure it’s wise to advise a 36 year old woman who’s given no indication as to her current level of physical preparation (tho it can be assumed to be quite low due to her starting weight) to try and do some potentially complex movements under the advice of a gym instructor who probably can’t even perform the exercises correctly themselves?

We always hear about how we’re not allowed give medical advice, but telling someone to do something which could potentially be dangerous to their health for no other reason than the fact it’s accepted dogma around here is just as bad, in my opinion.

Not to derail this thread more than it is already, but from the thread in tLL re: the ladies introduction to lifting that g'em and JayRoc gave a while ago I knew that the OP had attended this workshop and they mentioned in this thead that they lift weights in the gym, so I knew I was not talking to a complete noobie.

So no, I do not think advising against the Smith Machine was bad advice. I think that there is more chance of injury with the smith machine or if the OP starts off in the Smith machine and then transitions to free weights and attempts a similar weight to what they use in the Smith Machine.

OP: I would make sure that you are shown the correct technique because as Hanley points out, it is quite easy to do yourself a mischief with these lifts even with moderately heavy weights. Make sure you are happy that your form is good before adding/increasing weight. And from time to time as the weight increases, have someone check your form, just to be sure ;)

M

I wish I had the money to get a personal trainer for a couple of sessions but we're on a major budget drive :( I have to rely on what I learnt from G'em & Jayrock at RAW and the bit I did with a p.t back in the new year, and take my chances on finding a decent gym instructor.

I will go back to the proper racks on Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

I wish I had the money to get a personal trainer for a couple of sessions but we're on a major budget drive :( I have to rely on what I learnt from G'em & Jayrock at RAW and the bit I did with a p.t back in the new year, and take my chances on finding a decent gym instructor.

I will go back to the proper racks on Wednesday.

There are loads of videos and stuff online.
    Alternatively you could try getting someone to video your lifts and post it up on youtube for somebody to look at.

I'm not gonna speak for people but I'm sure if you sent a PM to someone who you know, knows the know, they would have a look.
    Again better than nowt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

hey D, welcome to the world of lifting :D

There's no need for you to be in the Smith machine, you've got really good form for squatting (it was there naturallytbh, we didn't have to teach you much!) and there's nothing there that a couple of sessions with someone watching you can't fix enough to give you the confidence to go it alone. Why don't you come to RAW on the 18th when we have our gym meet up and there'll be loads of folks (myself and JayRoc included) who can give you a hand?

Don't worry too much about programs and the like jsut yet, we'll get your form nailed with the basics and move on from there in good time :)

Thanks G'em, that sound a fab idea. Not sure if I'll be able to make it though cos dh is doing the half-marathon that day, we'll see...

Much better session today, quick question though - when I post up my lefts should I be including the weight (20kg right?) of the bar in the lifts? Because I didn't on Monday....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

Is you OH doing the dublin half? im doing it and im going to RAW...go on go on go on go on go on....

P.S were all going getting very drunk afterwards too!

Thanks G'em, that sound a fab idea. Not sure if I'll be able to make it though cos dh is doing the half-marathon that day, we'll see...

Much better session today, quick question though - when I post up my lefts should I be including the weight (20kg right?) of the bar in the lifts? Because I didn't on Monday....

Yep, you always include the weight of the bar as well as the plates.

So in your last workout your worksets were

Squats: 40kg
    Bench Press: 35kg
    Dead Lift: 50kg

;);)

M

Ah thanks B-Builder, I was selling myself short, will go back & edit those now.

So today, same instructor, but I was more satisfied with how it went, told him I wasn't happy using the Smith machine so he talked me though the other racks.

Sqauts - 5x20kg, 5x30kg, SETx35kg
    Overhead press - 5x10kg, 5x12.5kg, 2x15kg (fail),SETx12.5kg
    Powercleans - 5x10kg, 2x12.5kg,SETx15kg

I found the powercleans good but hard, not as bad as the overhead presses - feel very weak at these.
    Interestingly the instructor when he was showing me the regular bench press, I tried the weight I did a full set on the Smith machine on Monday & I could not do one! Just shows how much easier it makes it, and I had to come down 5kg on the squats too - but I'd rather stick to reality!

Jaysis Drifter you'll be wrecked after all that! Yes my Oh is Raycun :)

Ah thanks B-Builder, I was selling myself short, will go back & edit those now.

So today, same instructor, but I was more satisfied with how it went, told him I wasn't happy using the Smith machine so he talked me though the other racks.

Sqauts - 5x20kg, 5x30kg, SETx35kg
    Overhead press - 5x10kg, 5x12.5kg, 2x15kg (fail),SETx12.5kg
    Powercleans - 5x10kg, 2x12.5kg,SETx15kg

I found the powercleans good but hard, not as bad as the overhead presses - feel very weak at these.
    Interestingly the instructor when he was showing me the regular bench press, I tried the weight I did a full set on the Smith machine on Monday & I could not do one! Just shows how much easier it makes it, and I had to come down 5kg on the squats too - but I'd rather stick to reality!

Jaysis Drifter you'll be wrecked after all that! Yes my Oh is Raycun :)

Ah! all makes sense now...i dont intend to do anything at raw cept shout at people and eat so ill be fine! If you get a chance pop down sure! be good no meet you and Raycun

B-Builder wrote: »
    Y

So in your last workout your worksets were

Squats: 40kg
    Bench Press: 35kg
    Dead Lift: 50kg

;);)

M

NICE!!!:D

G86 wrote: »
    NICE!!!:D

Thanks! :D

Is there anywhere I can find out what I should be aiming for (say after 12 weeks) on my different lifts in relation to my bodyweight?

http://www.scribd.com/doc/3382978/Starting-Strength-Logbook-Calculator

This might help...ive never used it myself though

Well with Starting Strength the lifts are progressively going up all the time, so if you look at the excel (did you fill one in?) it should tell you what you can expect to be lifting or aiming for in a few weeks. I've never done it, but as far as I know there should be an excel you can download where you can fill in your current stats etc.

Are you doing any assistance work with it?

Well with Starting Strength the lifts are progressively going up all the time, so if you look at the excel (did you fill one in?) it should tell you what you can expect to be lifting or aiming for in a few weeks. I've never done it, but as far as I know there should be an excel you can download where you can fill in your current stats etc.

Are you doing any assistance work with it?

Nope haven't done the spreadsheet, must do that. I just kind of jumped in this week :) I have my log with me though so I will fill that in..

The fact that I don't know what you mean by assistance work probably means No :o I do a 10 min brisk walk on the tm before hand and some stretching after. And the very crucial jacuzzi and sauna :D

ETA - I can't get the calculator to open in MS Works...

Day 3 Workout A

Squats - 5x20kg, 5x30kg, SET@40kg
    Bench Press - 5x20kg, 4x25kg, SET@22.5 (but failed on rep4 of last 5 :( )
    Deadlift - 5x30kg, 5x40kg, SET@55kg

Pleased with today, an extra 5kg on the squats & deadlifts.
    Found bench press really hard though.

• Advertisement

This is just what I was looking for
    http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/StrengthStandards.html
    I wanted to have some numbers in my head to aim towards, so here they are translated into kilos. My goal is to be at the novice number by the end of 12 weeks.
    It's strange because I know I can do a 60kg 1rm deadlift already, so almost at novice level, ..but there is no way I could bench press 29, which is the "untrained" number....my upper body strength is quite pitiful really...

Lift - untrained - novice

Powerclean - 19.5 -36
    Deadlift - 33.5 - 62
    Squat - 27 - 50
    Press - 18 - 25
    Bench Press - 29 - 37

Workout B tomorrow, bring it!

\, ..but there is no way I could bench press 29, which is the "untrained" number....

But sure is your bench not already 35kg?

But sure is your bench not already 35kg?

Sadly not, only got that the very first day with the big cheaty Smith machine. I tried it on the regular bench and was very glad the instructor was with me! Only got 22.5kg on it.

Ah right ok. That's still decent though! Sure when I started I couldn't even press the empty bar, I decided I didn't like it and avoided it for a few months(I generally decide I don't like things if I'm crap at them!), but once I started doing it regularly the weight eventually started going up. Just stick with it, I mean sure 29kg is 50% of your bodyweight isn't it - that's a fair bit to be lifting so don't get disheartened if you don't get it straightaway. And sure by the looks of it a bodyweight deadlift's just around the corner! :D

Ah right ok. That's still decent though! Sure when I started I couldn't even press the empty bar, I decided I didn't like it and avoided it for a few months(I generally decide I don't like things if I'm crap at them!), but once I started doing it regularly the weight eventually started going up. Just stick with it, I mean sure 29kg is 50% of your bodyweight isn't it - that's a fair bit to be lifting so don't get disheartened if you don't get it straightaway. And sure by the looks of it a bodyweight deadlift's just around the corner! :D

Thanks for that, and yes I hope to hit the 60kg deadlift within the fortnight. I know I can do 1 (did with G'em & Jayroc at the ladies lifting workshop) question is can I do 5??

So very happy after todays workout, loving the progression :) I have my deadly little fitbook log with me and I have my list and what my working set was last time so it's fun to add on just a little more each time.

Squats - 5x20kg, 5X30kg, SET x 42.5 kg

So another 2.5kg on previous left, yay!, used the cushion today for the first time and it helped. Had an embarrassing moment where I set the bar back too low after a set and I couldn't get it back up :o A big strong man in a orange shirt came to my "rescue" which was nice. So thanks if you're reading this!

Overhead Press - 5x10kg, 5x12.5kg, SET x 14kg (failed on last rep tho)
    that's an extra 1.5kg on last time

Powerclean - 5x10kg, 5x12.5, SET x 15

and then for the heck of it I managed 2 reps at 18kg

:D Ooh a good day down gym folks! A good good day :D

Squats
    - 5x20kg, 3x30kg,5x40kg, SETx 45kg
    an extra 2.5kg
    Bench Press - 5x20ks, SETx 22.5kg
    - no fail this time, so a little progress
    Deadlift - 3x20kg, 4x40kg, 3x50kg, SETx60kg
    So an extra 5kg, and BODYWEIGHT!! yay, so pleased with myself.

And last night I won a limited edition Fitbook on facebook :) too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Scuba Ste

Just something about your warm ups going for 40kg x5 and then 45kg 3x5 is too much and too close to your work sets. Maybe 40 for a single or double or even 37.5. Your probably good for it now cause the weights are light for you but as you go heavier your warm ups will pretty much become work sets. Same goes for all the lifts. Just something to think about.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Out of curiosity Dolly, When you type SET, do you mean 3 sets of five or just a single top set of 5?

d'Oracle wrote: »
    Out of curiosity Dolly, When you type SET, do you mean 3 sets of five or just a single top set of 5?

3 sets of 5 in everything except the deadlift which is a single set of 5

Thanks Scuba Ste, I see what you mean...but this helps me psych up to add the extra weight from session to session. If I jumped from 30 to 45 I might freak!

• Advertisement

Very busy down the gym this morning, had to wait for the squat rack for the first time, so I did the squats last not first. The man using it was soo good, I don't think I could squat that deep with no bar at all.
    Anyways....
    Squats - 5x20, 5x40, SET x45
    Overhead Press - 5x12.5, SETx15
    Powerclean - 5x12.5, 3x15, attempted set at 18 but failed on 4th rep of second 5, SET x15

Advertisement