Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crispy Tomatoes

Options
  • 06-09-2010 11:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Is there any way to fry red tomatoes and have them turn out very crispy?
    I made some this morning using flour and olive oil, seasoned with salt and pepper but they still come out very soft and juicy!:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Not really, no, as such a vast proportion of a tomato is water, but you would have much success in getting a firmer end product by grilling them... I oven bake them so they get crispy skins, but the flesh is still soft.

I googled and got this:
    http://realfoodforrealpeople.blogspot.com/2008/10/crispy-oven-dried-tomatoes-and-garlic.html

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I think you'd get them a lot crisper if you used sunflower oil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Storf

thanks rasmus, the link you gave is quite informative. Maybe ill try grilling them next with a bit of sunflower oil!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I use cherry tomatoes halved and put them on a baking tray with olive oil black pepper and salt. I put them in a low oven and leave for up to an hour and they come out nice and crisp. There is a great flavour from them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭S.R.F.C.

Miaireland wrote: »
    I use cherry tomatoes halved and put them on a baking tray with olive oil black pepper and salt. I put them in a low oven and leave for up to an hour and they come out nice and crisp. There is a great flavour from them too.

Sound great, how low do you set the oven at?

• Advertisement
Advertisement