Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Calculated my new JSA rate after moving in with girlfriend, worried

• 06-09-2010 12:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

Hi there,

I'm just after moving in with my girlfriend and have been on JSA full rate for over 3 months. I have processed my change of address with SW and I have to be means tested again tomorrow.

The g/f earns about €425 a week (before income tax and after deducting PRSI). After calculating the means via the website, I came up with a very low JSA figure that I am likely to be reduced to.

Here is their explanation of how the means test goes in this type of situation:

To find your spouse’s or partner’s means from work you must:

Deduct €20 per day from your spouse's or partner's assessable earnings for each day worked up to a maximum of €60 (including Sunday)
    Next get 60% of the balance. This is assessed as his or her weekly means from work.
    Assessable weekly earnings - €20 per day (maximum €60 for 3 days work) = total x 60% = weekly means from work.

On that basis: €425 - €60 * 60% = €219 (weekly means)
    €326 - €219 = €107

This is a generous estimate, as they will probably assess her weekly income to be higher, as I don't know how they divide the monthly wage rate into weeks/days. Me and her are quite separate financially, and I don't know how I can live off of such a reduced rate while I seek new employment. Obviously she will help me out if I'm stuck, but I'm very reluctant to dip into her pocket. Anyone else in a similar position?

Comments

Yeah, that sounds about right. Boyfriend earns around the same (probably a bit less) and our means were worked out at €216 per week. I would be entitled to the remainer. Unfortunately, that's the way it works, so when moving in together we accepted that we'd have to use our finances jointly, meaning we wouldn't be able to split things 50-50 and he would be covering the bulk of all living expenses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

Basically you have two choices, move in and share the responsibility. I'm sure she doesn't mind paying a little more to help you out. Secondly, move back with your parents or move in with friends. It's that simple really, it's only you that can make that choice at the end of the day ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 germwarfare

Thanks for the responses. I guess I was hoping I had messed up the calculations, lol. I'm pretty settled here now, moving back with the folks isn't really an option. G/f has said she's happy to share her earnings and I believe her. I just don't feel right about it, and I've had no luck whatsoever with the job seeking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Hey germwarfare

I'm in exactly the same position as you and I've just got my means test back and I've been given a kick in the proverbials. I can't even meet my half of the rent in what I'm getting now, but my gf will support me however like yourself I'd much prefer pay my way. Been living with her for over 2 years so moving isn't really an option, and I don't want to defraud the state.

I've paid my way since I was 16 so its hard to take.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 701 ✭✭✭sickle

same story here,
    I'm still waiting to hear back from my means test but I know its not going to be good.
    How long were you waiting to hear back about it can I ask? My last benefit payment is tomorrow and not a word from them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Same story, he was deducted down to €37 per week, 3 days after the deciding officer saw my payslip, same sort of wages as the OP's GF.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

sickle wrote: »
    same story here,
    I'm still waiting to hear back from my means test but I know its not going to be good.
    How long were you waiting to hear back about it can I ask? My last benefit payment is tomorrow and not a word from them!

Well I did my means test in June, and I only got informed last week! My benefit was up 2 weeks before that so I was getting anything for a couple of weeks. One of the letters I got was dated from back the start of July! They had all my information a few days after my means test so i dunno what took them so long, silly season perhaps. i was thinking of going in and asking whats the story with the letter dated back in July and why I didnt get it then but sure it wont make any difference to my payment in the end.

I'd sweep the roads no problem if they gave me the full dole!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 701 ✭✭✭sickle

Well I did my means test in June, and I only got informed last week! My benefit was up 2 weeks before that so I was getting anything for a couple of weeks. One of the letters I got was dated from back the start of July! They had all my information a few days after my means test so i dunno what took them so long, silly season perhaps. i was thinking of going in and asking whats the story with the letter dated back in July and why I didnt get it then but sure it wont make any difference to my payment in the end.

I'd sweep the roads no problem if they gave me the full dole!

I was down the office today to ask why it was taking so long and they said they don't even look at the means test for allowance until my benefit claim was closed (ie I cant have 2 claims open at once). Today was my last day of benefit and they said i should hear next week whether I'm entitled to anything.
    But i'm probably over the limit, so no JSA or BTEA for me...

Advertisement