Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

panicked

Options
  • 06-09-2010 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭

So i just got an letter from the college im starting, about registration. Which ive been waiting for, and my reg is this Friday, thats all fine but included with the letter is an invoice for 3,890 euro !! :eek::eek::eek::eek:

I knew id be paying the reg fee (1500) as i didnt qualify for the maintance grant or BETA, but i cant believe they've landed me with this 4 days before they expect me to pay it.

I previously did a national cert. course (2yrs) finished it in 2004, and have also done a FETAC course. I've read student finance.ie till im blue in the face and my understanding from the website is i wouldnt have to pay the tuition fees, ive just re-read it and still get the same impression.

A couple of months back the college sent me a form to get filled in by the college i did the national cert with, so i did sent it back and included a note that id like to hear back asap. and then nothing till today.

Naturally ive rang the college but they're currently doing registration for other years so couldnt get anyone to talk to, best i managed was to leave a voice mail for someone.

Does anyone know is there anyone else i can ring to explain my particular scenario and find out properly if i should have to pay tution fees or not?
    I tried a number for the HEA, but got no answer. To be honest I dont have alot of faith in the college to be understanding/ and give/get the right info. I mean landing me with a bill for almost 4000, and giving me 4 days to pay it is a joke.

I cant believe all the work ive put into getting organised for college all the grant apps that were a waist of time, ive rented a house and am due to move in on friday up near the college... and then they throw this at me, i honestly cant afford to pay it... what am i going to do...
    cry maybe!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Is this a degree course from year 1?

Also
    Doop wrote: »
    I've read student finance.ie till im blue in the face and my understanding from the website is i wouldnt have to pay the tuition fees, ive just re-read it and still get the same impression.
    what part of studentfinance.ie gives you that impression?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

Johnnymcg wrote: »
    Is this a degree course from year 1?

Also

what part of studentfinance.ie gives you that impression?

well this part
    "The requirement at c. above may not apply where students who already hold a Higher Certificate/National Certificate or an Ordinary Bachelor Degree/National Diploma are progressing to an Honours Bachelor Degree course without necessarily having received an exemption from the normal duration of the course. In such cases, the student may be deemed eligible for free fees."

and also the second chance student bit
    "the requirement at c. above does not apply for ‘second chance students’. Students who, having attended but not completed approved courses, are returning following a break of at least five years in order to pursue approved courses at the same level in the 2009-10 academic year are deemed eligible for free fees"

But i've been in touch with the HEA and they say in relation to the first paragraph that this is in relation to progression of studies. Because the national cert course I did was Business Studies and now im going to do a Degree in surveying in doesnt qualify.

And apparently the second chance student is only in relation to drop outs, so because I completed that course I'm not entitled to it.

Im gutted, im not entitled to anything no free fees, no beta and no maintence grant, guess ill sit round on the dole for the next few yrs, costing the state whatever :(

Advertisement