Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

west brom v totenham match thread

Options
  • 06-09-2010 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭

Will this be a debut game for our new signings? I would imagine that both Sandro and Gallas probably won't feature and possibly Van der Vaart will be on the bench. This could actually be a though game for us after two internationals in the week. Hopefully Harry will bury the hatchet with Keane and give him some game time.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

i would say gallas could play if he does ok in the behind closed doors friendly tonight, otherwise bassong will play and gallas will play in the champs league tuesday night.

sandro wont feature at all id say. who knowss with van der vaart, is he fit?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

VDV might get some game time but he won't start. I'd imagine it'll be Gallas and Bassong against West Brom, and Gallas and King in the CL match. Is Modric back yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Harry might wa nt to try vdv and Defoe out after seeing Rooney set up Defoe from that position

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Hope Van Der Vaart starts. The sooner he gels with the other lads the better. Nice easy game too against the Brummies:p! Sandro should be given a month off before he comes back. No point playing him now and then being tired for the rest of the season. Any one know if Mod is back?

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭terrymccarthy05

down to play for croatia on tue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭kakee

luka modric played 90 minutes for crotia. Van der vaart played 64 minutes (thanks Bodie) for holland. Any update on JDs injury?, heard he was stretchered off.

JD says he is alright and should be fine for sat

gallas played 70 mins in a friendly last night and did very well by all accounts so he should slot in instead of dawson

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Bodie Doyle

kakee wrote: »
    luka modric played 90 minutes for crotia. Van der vaart played 90 minutes for holland. Any update on JDs injury?, heard he was stretchered off.

Van der Vaart played 64 minutes for Holland and was then subbed. He had a bit of a strop when taken off. I hope he gets a run out against West Brom as these are the sort of teams we struggle to break down.

will jd or crouch be risked, neither are 100% id say

will he go with pav up front , doubt it cos pav is way too lazy for this match

keane maybe? i think this could be a good choice (even though i have slated him), with bale, modric, lennon , hudd and vdv in midfield

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭slegs

mickman wrote: »

keane maybe? i think this could be a good choice (even though i have slated him), with bale, modric, lennon , hudd and vdv in midfield

like to see this lineup...could be interesting

• Advertisement

Sounds a good team to me

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Would robbie be able to hold the line on his own though?

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭kakee

ziedth wrote: »
    Would robbie be able to hold the line on his own though?

I don't think he would. He likes to drop deep and play in midfield usually.

yeah but modric and van der vaart could burst into the box then and try and score. van der vaart scores many goals from midfield

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Great chance to start using a 433 system, similar to Stoke away. Crouch or Pav up the middle with Bale and Lennon out wide. Tom or Wilson holding, with Luka and VDV supporting the attack.

It's how I would play going forward particularly in the CL.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Bodie Doyle

Great chance for Robbie now Defoe is injured for a while. I think Harry will start with Pav and Robbie up front with Van der Vaart coming on at some stage. I cannot see him starting as he only joined up with the team yesterday. Whoever plays we could do with 3 points on Saturday to re gain our confidence after the Wigan game.

Great chance for Robbie now Defoe is injured for a while. I think Harry will start with Pav and Robbie up front with Van der Vaart coming on at some stage. I cannot see him starting as he only joined up with the team yesterday. Whoever plays we could do with 3 points on Saturday to re gain our confidence after the Wigan game.

Yes 3 pts is a must. I'd like to see 433 in preparation for the CL away games, we shall wait and see.

Harry Redknapp reports that Peter Crouch is available for the trip to West Brom on Saturday.
    The striker had to be substituted at half-time after picking up a rib injury last time out against Wigan.
    However, he's returned to training this week and is in the squad for the Hawthorns.
    "Crouchy's fine, he's worked hard all week," said Harry. "He's fit and ready to play."
    David Bentley has also trained for the last two weeks following his pre-season ankle injury and played the full 90 minutes in our Spurs XI friendly against QPR on Tuesday.
    Our four new signings - Rafael van der Vaart, William Gallas, Sandro and Stipe Pletikosa - trained together with the rest of the squad for the first time on Thursday and all are available to play.

As has been well documented, Jermain Defoe and Michael Dawson will both miss out after picking up ankle and knee/ankle injuries respectively on England duty.
    They join long-term absentees Jonathan Woodgate (groin) and Jamie O'Hara (back) on the sidelines

I presume this means Modric is back also having played on wednesday

What about this, Gomes, Charlie, BAE, Seb,King, Hudd,Luka, VDV, Bale, Lennon, Crouch.

Hatch99 wrote: »
    What about this, Gomes, Charlie, BAE, Seb,King, Hudd,Luka, VDV, Bale, Lennon, Crouch.
    I'd Stick Hudd as the Holding midfielder there

Gomes
    Charlie--Seb--King--BAE
    Hudd
    ----VDV
    Modric
    Lennon
    Bale
    Crouch

Although I'd see Gallas starting ahead of King so he can start midweek
    I wouldn't be surprised to see this as our regular formation this season and Sandro is meant to be almost as good at passing as Hudd and as good at tackling as Palacios so He could be vying for that holding midfield spot sooner then we expect

• Advertisement

I'd Stick Hudd as the Holding midfielder there

Gomes
    Charlie--Seb--King--BAE
    Hudd
    ----VDV
    Modric
    Lennon
    Bale
    Crouch

Although I'd see Gallas starting ahead of King so he can start midweek
    I wouldn't be surprised to see this as our regular formation this season and Sandro is meant to be almost as good at passing as Hudd and as good at tackling as Palacios so He could be vying for that holding midfield spot sooner then we expect

gomes is out so the new guy from croatia will start.

gomes is out so the new guy from croatia will start.

Is he ? Not mentioned on team news on the website !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭tipperaryjim

Lads, any solid updates on whether VDV will start? Apart from being delighted to see him get some solid game time asap, I'd also love to give him a debut on my Fantasy Football team :)

Decisions, Desicions...

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭big_show

Gomes is out, any word if cudi or the Croatian guy will start?

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭marty2002

TEAM (expecting 4-4-1-1)
    cudicini
    corluka kaboul gallas bale
    lennon hudd wilson modric
    vdv pav

according to the official spurs app.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭marty2002

hudd is capt.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

BBC saying...
    BBC wrote:
    "William Gallas makes his Spurs debut alongside Younes Kaboul in central defence but is not captain, that honour falling to Tom Huddlestone. Rafeel van der Vaart also makes his Tottenham bow, playing just behind lone striker Roman Pavlyuchenko, while Luka Modric moves to the left side of midfield and Gareth Bale drops back to the left full-back role."

TEAM NEWS - Harry Redknapp makes five changes to the team that started against Wigan. The big news is that both William Gallas and Rafael van der Vaart makes their debuts. Vedran Corluka returns with Younes Kaboul switching to central defence to partner Gallas. Gareth Bale moved back to left-back with Luka Modric returning in midfield. We also have a new front two with van der Vaart expected to play off lone striker Roman Pavlyuchenko. The players to miss after starting against Wigan are Peter Crouch, Jermain Defoe, Michael Dawson, Benoit Assou-Ekotto and Ledley King, although Crouch and Assou-Ekotto are on the bench.

STARTING XI -
    Cudicini;
    Corluka, Kaboul, Gallas, Bale;
    Lennon, Huddlestone, Palacios, Modric;
    Van der Vaart;
    Pavlychenko.

SUBS - Pletikosa, Bassong, Assou-Ekotto, Kranjcar, Jenas, Crouch, Keane.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

any streaming links?

• Advertisement

strange enough lineup.

cudicini and wilson make the team even though they have been very poor so far. ekotto dropped and bale back to left back

Advertisement