Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

west brom v totenham match thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭kakee

At least VDV can come on instead of Modric

No, VDV actually started the game. Niko came on for modric:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

At lease Bale can go back into LM where he belongs IMHO. How did robbie do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

ziedth wrote: »
    At lease Bale can go back into LM where he belongs IMHO. How did robbie do?

he barely got a touch. lennon was terrible and taken off. another bad day at the office, these are getting regular

another bad day at the office, these are getting regular

All the players seem to be having off days at the same time. Its never just one or two lads it always seems to be 8 or 9 players.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭keane=cock

kakee wrote: »
    No, VDV actually started the game. Niko came on for modric:)

think he means while modric is injured

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

I thought bale vdv Thudd cudicini and Kabul played well and modric while he was on everyone else was poor to mediocre injury list is a serious worry

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Not looking good for CL on this form,worrying.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Right, home an hour later than I'd hoped cos the taxi man never showed when I got back to Dublin Airport, lovely way to finish off a sh1te day.

Where does one start?

Team selection...

Harry you fúcked it up (again). Bale at LB? The wrong forward on his own up top? Gallas unfit yet played (albeit to give him game time before Tuesday, but what must Bassong think being 5th choice?)

Substitutions and tactical changes...

Modric off should have resulted in Bale to LM and Ekotto on at LB, Niko is too slow to play the wing. Palacios should have been off, we were a man down all game because of his lapses. Keane for Pav should have happened much earlier.

Performances...

Palacios was woeful, we know he can't pull off the defence splitting pass but he couldn't even manage 2yds today. I counted 3 completed passes from him all game. His tackling was awful as well, the amount of times he missed tackles was worrying. I suspect he was picked to provide cover for Gallas and Kaboul, but he failed at that task and when away from home we need to retain possession, not rely on winning it back (he could do neither today). Pavlyuchenko seems to have gone back into his "can't be arsed" routine, threw himself to the ground at every opportunity, made no effort, no movement, just shocking in general. Corluka was his usual lackadaisical self. Gallas is unfit and showing signs of rustiness, and was partially at fault for the goal. Cudicini only looked good because of the couple of saves at the end.

Aaron Lennon had a stinker, he is completely devoid of confidence and the only way he will get it back is if Bale is playing LM which stretches opposition midfields/defences and allows Lennon space to work with on the other side.

Kaboul, Thudd, Bale and VDV all played well for most of the game, VDV looks like he might be a very handy player once he's bedded in.

Keane and Crouch weren't on long enough to assign any real blame for the performance.

Harry Redknapp...

If Martin Jol served up a performance like that he'd be slaughtered. I don't care who he signs, but the talk before the game of making Gallas captain to put us fans in our place was disgraceful.

I said at the end of last season, our biggest performances came on the back of injuries which forced Redknapp's hand on team selection, and that when he has options available his judgement can be questionable. It was very questionable today. Redknapp is trying to ruin the best left sided midfield player in the English game by paying him at LB, and he is upsetting the team dynamic by doing so. Furthermore, he has allowed his ego re. Robbie Keane cloud hid judgement recently, and with Defoe out for two months we cannot afford to indulge that any longer.

Managers live or die on their ability to change a game...where was our change today? Redknapp eschews modern tactical thinking, well it's about time he embraced it because he isn't showing any talent for identifying how to break down stubborn teams. West Brom with all due respect are a poor side, and we made them look good today.

I hate to think what Wolves will be like.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kakee viewpost.gif
    No, VDV actually started the game. Niko came on for modricsmile.gif

think he means while modric is injured

Thanks for correcting me there Keane and sorry to Supersi, i missread your post

The only reason I could think of for having Bae on the Bench is to rest him for Wednesday Palacios should never of started modric and Tom should of started in the middle with BAE or Bassong as left full IMO crouch I think was also being rested I would of liked vdv to be subbed for Keane around the 70 minute Mark as he isn't match fit either.
    I thought Kabouls runs from defines opened things up a bit and was glad he was there to shore things up

• Advertisement

I can't quite put my finger on it but something just isn't right at spurs at the moment. I wonder is Harry starting to lose the dressing room a bit. Certain players probably realise that they are not wanted anymore, robbie is one and I am sure that maybe Bassaong, Pav and Krankjar feel the same. Of course there are others who aren't even close to getting in the squad let alone the team.
    These lads know that what ever they do in training during the week, they most likely won't be involved come match day barring injuries to others. If they do play then as soon as the other players are fit they are out of the team. So perhaps they don't give 100% in training (I know they are professionals and this is their job) and this may be having a bad effect on the squad as a whole really.
    I think if Harry likes a player he is 100% behind them but if he doesn't like a player he will treat them like crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

Redknapp is trying to ruin the best left sided midfield player in the English game.

Com'on mate, he's not trying to ruin any of our players or any of our positions. Why would he ?

Bale was at LB today to accomadate VDV, this was a gamble in its self and I don't think it worked out, but Redkanpp did not do it because he's trying to ruin our chances or winning a game of football.

With all due respect, that accusation is crazy.

Com'on mate, he's not trying to ruin any of our players or any of our positions. Why would he ?

Bale was at LB today to accomadate VDV, this was a gamble in its self and I don't think it worked out, but Redkanpp did not do it because he's trying to ruin our chances or winning a game of football.

With all due respect, that accusation is crazy.

Protect VDV?

VDV played in place of a 2nd striker Shane, I fail to see how he needed protection by putting our most effective wide player further back the field.
    "His [Bale's] confidence is sky high – he's become an amazing player. I think he will be [as good as Ashley Cole]. Ashley is fantastic. He started as a left-winger at Arsenal and he's ended up at left-back, and this kid's the same. If he's going to be the best anywhere, I think it'll be from left-back. I've got Benoît [Assou-Ekotto], who does well for me there. But in the long term, it's all in front of [Bale at left-back]."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/aug/23/stoke-city-tottenham-hotspur-premier-league

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Right, home an hour later than I'd hoped cos the taxi man never showed when I got back to Dublin Airport, lovely way to finish off a sh1te day.

Where does one start?

Team selection...

Harry you fúcked it up (again). Bale at LB? The wrong forward on his own up top? Gallas unfit yet played (albeit to give him game time before Tuesday, but what must Bassong think being 5th choice?)

Modric off should have resulted in Bale to LM and Ekotto on at LB, Niko is too slow to play the wing. Palacios should have been off, we were a man down all game because of his lapses. Keane for Pav should have happened much earlier.

Performances...

Palacios was woeful, we know he can't pull off the defence splitting pass but he couldn't even manage 2yds today. I counted 3 completed passes from him all game. His tackling was awful as well, the amount of times he missed tackles was worrying. I suspect he was picked to provide cover for Gallas and Kaboul, but he failed at that task and when away from home we need to retain possession, not rely on winning it back (he could do neither today). Pavlyuchenko seems to have gone back into his "can't be arsed" routine, threw himself to the ground at every opportunity, made no effort, no movement, just shocking in general. Corluka was his usual lackadaisical self. Gallas is unfit and showing signs of rustiness, and was partially at fault for the goal. Cudicini only looked good because of the couple of saves at the end.

Aaron Lennon had a stinker, he is completely devoid of confidence and the only way he will get it back is if Bale is playing LM which stretches opposition midfields/defences and allows Lennon space to work with on the other side.

Kaboul, Thudd, Bale and VDV all played well for most of the game, VDV looks like he might be a very handy player once he's bedded in.

Keane and Crouch weren't on long enough to assign any real blame for the performance.

Harry Redknapp...

If Martin Jol served up a performance like that he'd be slaughtered. I don't care who he signs, but the talk before the game of making Gallas captain to put us fans in our place was disgraceful.

I said at the end of last season, our biggest performances came on the back of injuries which forced Redknapp's hand on team selection, and that when he has options available his judgement can be questionable. It was very questionable today. Redknapp is trying to ruin the best left sided midfield player in the English game by paying him at LB, and he is upsetting the team dynamic by doing so. Furthermore, he has allowed his ego re. Robbie Keane cloud hid judgement recently, and with Defoe out for two months we cannot afford to indulge that any longer.

Managers live or die on their ability to change a game...where was our change today? Redknapp eschews modern tactical thinking, well it's about time he embraced it because he isn't showing any talent for identifying how to break down stubborn teams. West Brom with all due respect are a poor side, and we made them look good today.

From what I saw, thats a very accurate summary.

Bale has always played his best football for us at left midfield, why dont we utilise that and make the most of such a rare asset. If Harry doesn't trust BAE , well why didn't he buy a left full so that our best assest can play were most effective.

We all raved about Palacios when he first played in that North London Derby at the lane. We thought we had a gem, how things have changed. I hope it is just a poor run of form, rather than his true colours shining through. He cant seem to tackle or pass at the minute :(

Lennon really annoys me. Great pace, great ability to go past a player and put in a decent ball(sometimes), but he just never seems bothered. Always sauntering around looking like he'd rather be somewhere else. He needs a serious kick up the hole.

Very good point, re Keane. Is the team suffering because of Harrys ego ? As you know I didn't agree with what Keane done, but how he is being treated is a pisstake. Harry is being a cnut on this issue imo.

And as for the making Gallas captain quotes, fcuk off Harry.

Crap start to the season. Points dropped against WBA and Wigan, 1 from 6 to be precise, worrying.

Maybe I'm jumping the gun, but I'm seriously concerned, and more importantly Harry is being a bit of a cnut for my liking.

there is trouble at the lane, as another poster said "something isnt quite right". we will see tuesdday night now in germany, if they put in a top class performance then we are obviously going to be the kind of team who gets a run in the champs league and falls apart in the league. if we play crap then there are serious problems.

lennon got almost no ball yesterday due to all the play going through the middle.

bale - yes he is better LM but he was still our best player yesterday and embarrased their whole right side

pav - waste of time and effort, an absolute ape of a man. i actually despise him and hate to see him putting on a spurs jersey

wilson - sell now for 7-8 million. jenas should have played yesterday , he seems another one that harry wont give a chance to.

no way was he keeping ekotto for tues night, he is a very fit player and can play twice a week no probs. i think he was dropped cos he hasnt had the best start to his season and harry was trying to accomodate playing modric and vdv together

the only light at the end of the tunnel here is that while we are messing around with formations etc and trying to get it right, we arent losing (except for wigan of course)

any news on modric?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Think therecklessone is being a bit too critical, almost dunphy-esque. Agree that Bale should have moved to LM and Palacios should have made way (for Crouch). Thought Keane was shocking when he came on. It seems to me that the only thing he does off the ball is give out and bítch about everything, get on with it ffs. Only brought on because there was no one else. We need another quality striker and Harry should have made a move for Fabiano and shipped out Keane. I think the only reason he didn't was because he wanted to lose his reputation of a "wheeler-dealer".

THFC wrote: »
    Think therecklessone is being a bit too critical, almost dunphy-esque. Agree that Bale should have moved to LM and Palacios should have made way (for Crouch). Thought Keane was shocking when he came on. It seems to me that the only thing he does off the ball is give out and bítch about everything, get on with it ffs. Only brought on because there was no one else. We need another quality striker and Harry should have made a move for Fabiano and shipped out Keane. I think the only reason he didn't was because he wanted to lose his reputation of a "wheeler-dealer".

Two things:

1. Can you clarify where I'm being too critical please?

2. We made our move for Fabiano, and Sevilla and his wage demands priced us out of the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Where does one start?

Team selection...

Performances...

Harry Redknapp...

Admittedly I only saw the second half live and had to catch the highlights of the first half, but Palacios wasn't that bad. He was probably our worst player but he defo completed more than 3 passes all game.
    Harry didn't fúck it up. He picked a decent formation, not the best, but the players didn't play after Modric left the field.
    Pav was bad, not that bad.
    Cudicini got us the point and saved us from the humiliation of losing to WB.
    The Keane Crouch comment you made (highlighted) seems to imply that you are looking for people to blame rather than them giving you reasons. And that Redknapp comment is down-right ridiculous. How you could accuse any manager, let alone Harry, of trying to ruin one of our best players is simply beyond me. Ridiculous.

Admittedly I only saw the second half live and had to catch the highlights of the first half,

Forgive me if I seem a bit dismissive, but I think I had a slightly better viewpoint 20 rows back from the goal (we defended 1st half) for the full 90mins.
    but Palacios wasn't that bad. He was probably our worst player but he defo completed more than 3 passes all game.

I'll quote a mate who was at the game with me:

"Palacios is playing that bad I'd have Jenas on for him, and I fúcking hate Jenas, so that's saying something about how bad Palacios is..."
    Harry didn't fúck it up. He picked a decent formation, not the best, but the players didn't play after Modric left the field.

Bale at LB was a fúck up. Pavlyuchenko up front on his own was a fúck up. And if the players weren't playing after Modric left the field why did the manager not change things around?

BAE for Modric, Bale into LM.
    Jenas for Palacios.
    Crouch for Pav.

Job=oxo.

He was fúcking atrocious. How many shots on target did he manage?

And should have done better for their goal.
    The Keane Crouch comment you made (highlighted) seems to imply that you are looking for people to blame rather than them giving you reasons.

No, it highlights that by the time both players were introduced we were out of ideas and I don't think either can bear any responsibility for failing to change our fortunes.
    And that Redknapp comment is down-right ridiculous. How you could accuse any manager, let alone Harry, of trying to ruin one of our best players is simply beyond me. Ridiculous.

His stated position is that Bale will be a LB, IMHO that will ruin the lad and rob us of a very potent attacking option in the process. It will also mean that Lennon is our only wide option in midfield, and he is suffering from bearing that responsibility at the moment.

It is no coincidence that we played Arsenal and Chelsea off the park last year with Bale on the left and Modric central.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭marty2002

Admittedly I only saw the second half live and had to catch the highlights of the first half, but Palacios wasn't that bad. He was probably our worst player but he defo completed more than 3 passes all game.
    The Keane Crouch comment you made (highlighted) seems to imply that you are looking for people to blame rather than them giving you reasons. And that Redknapp comment is down-right ridiculous. How you could accuse any manager, let alone Harry, of trying to ruin one of our best players is simply beyond me. Ridiculous.

Yes he was, the man was woeful, im sick watching Palacios give the ball away by trying passes that will never come off, its starting to be a regular thing in every game he plays.

I actually think O'Hara can do a better job in CM then palacios he really has been terrible for the past 6 months at least O'Hara can pick a pass

I actually think O'Hara can do a better job in CM then palacios he really has been terrible for the past 6 months at least O'Hara can pick a pass

fair point!!

O hara won't be back for ages

Reckless is obviously very bitter about what went on sat. As he says he was at the match so wud have seen a lot more of pavs and wilsons pathetic play .

Modric has been cleared thank god so that's something good at last. I don't agree that Harry made a complete balls of it though. If he played bale at LM where wud he have played hudd, vdv and modric ?

I defo agree though that pav can't play up front on his own. He just dosent have it in him . Crouch will b far better in that role tues night

Bale is out top scorer in the league with 2 goals. That says it all really

mickman wrote: »
    Reckless is obviously very bitter about what went on sat. As he says he was at the match so wud have seen a lot more of pavs and wilsons pathetic play .

At the game or not mate, it's easy to see when a fella is having one..

Hatch99 wrote: »
    At the game or not mate, it's easy to see when a fella is having one..

True :-) I slagged off keane last week and he got very upset . He has slated many players in the posts above .

mickman wrote: »
    True :-) I slagged off keane last week and he got very upset . He has slated many players in the posts above .

Listen we all slate players throughout the season, anyone who says they dont is lying. What annoys me most is when they saunter around not putting in the effort looking like they'd rather be elsewhere which the likes of Pav, Lennon and a few more have been guilty of plenty of times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

Chri$t lads, the slating Palacios is getting is unreal , the bloke has had a hard 12 months losing his brother and all that, way over the top recklessone whether 20 rows back from the pitch or not. Its the defending of keano that puzzles me? he did fcuk all again when he came on sat except his famous waving his hands in the air bull$hit , that gets up me wick bigtime. Time we shipped him off to Celtic again imo:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

I'm genuinely worried above Palacios's form.
    He's been in a slump for nearly a year now.
    I really want him to come good again because I like him a lot.
    Have to admit that I'm starting to get a little impatient with him now.
    He's starting to become a liability.

Advertisement