Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MCB Question .

Options
  • 06-09-2010 1:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭

If you have 2 MCB Breakers, both 6amps but one of them is type B and one of the is type K which would you expect to trip first?? And why??

NoseyMike2010

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Off the top of my head the B type for overload and about the same for short circuit.

Look at the fusing characteristic graph to see which.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭handydandy

Be a little bit more specific, is this a real situation or just something you would like to know.

Do both there circuits contain similar devices?

Type B for domestic/commercial installations without power surges e.g. filament lamps and wall sockets.

Type K to prevent nuisance tripping during starting of three phase loads, e.g. motors or transformers, and provide closer protection than B, C or D types.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭NoseyMike2010

Something I'd like to know. I am wondering if you had two idential systems and 1 had a 6 amp breaker Type B and the other type K which would trip 1st if they had exactly the same surge.

I have looked at the Characteristics graph and have no idea whats happening in them! Sorry. A virgin to all this if I am honest!

NoseyMike2010

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

Something I'd like to know. I am wondering if you had two idential systems and 1 had a 6 amp breaker Type B and the other type K which would trip 1st if they had exactly the same surge.

I have looked at the Characteristics graph and have no idea whats happening in them! Sorry. A virgin to all this if I am honest!

NoseyMike2010

Simple answer type B would trip first.

Type K is designed for use in application where temporary surges (motor starts etc) are common and hence would take time to trip.

However in the event of a direct short circuit they should both trip simultaneously.

Side note I was not aware that Type K were available in singles, Always assumed they were a 3 phase breaker only..

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭NoseyMike2010

So is Type B a slow tripping breaker?

If you can explain with a mathematical solution it would help alot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

So is Type B a slow tripping breaker?

If you can explain with a mathematical solution it would help alot.

Not exactly sure where you got that from.

The Type K is designed to allow short momentary surges such as those associated with loads such as AC motors where you have a short intense current draw during start up.

Type B are designed for a totally different application where surges are not expected such a domestic situation.

They both have specific applications and as such are not directly comparable.

They most certainly could not be described as slow and quick tripping. As I said in my original post in a short circuit situation they should both trip at the same speed.

There are 4 types of MCB type B, C, D, K, Z and there performance characteristics or trip curve are defined by BS EN 60898 and BS EN 60947-2

In simple terms the letter indicates the instantaneous tripping current, that is the minimum value of current that causes the circuit-breaker to trip without intentional time delay (i.e., in less than 100 ms), expressed in terms of In:

for a Type B N is defined as greater than 3 up to or equal to 5

So for a 6 amp type B MCB the instantaneous tripping current would be between 18amp to 30amp (ie. between 3 and 5 times the rated current)

For a type C its 5 to 10 times
    Type D its 10 to 20 times
    Type K its 8 to 12 times
    and for Type Z its 2 to 3 times

But that a crude description of an MCB

All types will trip for any load over their rated load but the trip time will not be instantaneous (ie. longer than 100ms).

I would recommend you do more reading.

Start here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circuit_breaker and here http://www.moeller.co.uk/ta_mcb_basics.htm and then look up the relevant standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

http://www.protekuk.co.uk/portal/default.asp?id=988&idcategoria=1082&idsottocategoria=1089&lang=ita&sez=technicalinfo

I'm closing this thread too; OP if you don’t know the difference between voltage and current then timing and tripping curves are later on in your own learning curve.

I'm now convinced that the op is following a smartly planned trolling line here and is wasting users kindly given time and effort.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement