Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with registration

Options
  • 06-09-2010 1:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭

I would really appreciate some help registering for my arts programme guys. I've run into a bit of a snag I don't understand.

According to the UCD website the module ECON10030 is incompatible with the modules MST10010 and MST10030. Why is this? Economics and Mathanatics are in different groups so I don't understand why they are incompatible?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭dtmc

As far as I know ECON10030 has a maths base to it and many of the topics covered in this module are probably also covered in MST10010 and MST10030. The only difference is that in ECON10030 they're applying the maths to economics

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

dtmc wrote: »
    As far as I know ECON10030 has a maths base to it and many of the topics covered in this module are probably also covered in MST10010 and MST10030. The only difference is that in ECON10030 they're applying the maths to economics
    Thanks for the quick reply. Does that mean that I don't need to take ECON10030 as I will have covered most of the stuff MST10010 and MST10030? As on the UCD website it says that students are strongly recomended to take ECON10030.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭chave

I did economics and math studies in first year. they are compatible. the reason why its saying they are not is because in all the economics first year modules you can do them in semester 1 or 2. so basically if its saying they are incompatible or clashing time wise just change the problematic econ courses to the other semester and it will resolve the issue.

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Thanks for the quick reply. Does that mean that I don't need to take ECON10030 as I will have covered most of the stuff MST10010 and MST10030? As on the UCD website it says that students are strongly recomended to take ECON10030.

do all the MST and ECON courses. ECON10030 is essential if you want to do economics in latter years so definately do it. the MST courses you mention complement the ECON courses in 2nd and 3rd year. so they are worth doing even if you want to major in economics and a must if you want to joint major with math studies and economics.

any other Qns?

chave wrote: »
    I did economics and math studies in first year. they are compatible. the reason why its saying they are not is because in all the economics first year modules you can do them in semester 1 or 2. so basically if its saying they are incompatible or clashing time wise just change the problematic econ courses to the other semester and it will resolve the issue.
    I don't know if I can link the page or not but here it is:
    https://sisweb.ucd.ie/usis/w_sm_web_enr_mod_cores.show_module?p_subj=ECON&p_semester=2&p_crse=10030&p_term_code=201000&p_return_url=w_sm_web_enr_mod_cores.show&p_enrl_type=CORE&p_schd_code=LA1

Tell me if you can't read that and I can post a screenshot. But basically it is telling me that I cannot take ECON10030 because "You have already registered for modules which are incompatible with this module: MST10010(In 2010), MST10020(In 2010), MST10030(In 2010), MST10040(In 2010),"

• Advertisement

Well if you're advised to take ECON10030 i'd think about doing that one. I was ineligible to take that module last year as it was incompatible with MATH10040 and MATH10050 due to an overlap of topics.

Well if you're advised to take ECON10030 i'd think about doing that one. I was ineligible to take that module last year as it was incompatible with MATH10040 and MATH10050 due to an overlap of topics.
    I'm also doing those subjects, how did you get around it?

I'm also doing those subjects, how did you get around it?

I just didn't do ECON10030, was only going to chose it as an elective!

I just didn't do ECON10030, was only going to chose it as an elective!
    Ah, ok. So basically there is no way that I can do ECON10030 because it's topics are overlapping with my maths courses.

I don't know if I can link the page or not but here it is:
    https://sisweb.ucd.ie/usis/w_sm_web_enr_mod_cores.show_module?p_subj=ECON&p_semester=2&p_crse=10030&p_term_code=201000&p_return_url=w_sm_web_enr_mod_cores.show&p_enrl_type=CORE&p_schd_code=LA1

Tell me if you can't read that and I can post a screenshot. But basically it is telling me that I cannot take ECON10030 because "You have already registered for modules which are incompatible with this module: MST10010(In 2010), MST10020(In 2010), MST10030(In 2010), MST10040(In 2010),"

ok i had a look on the website and I checked the MST courses and it doesnt say they are compatible with any ECON courses. when i check ECON10030 it says its incompatible with MST1002E (calculus 2). not sure what the "E" means at the end of that. I would go to the student desk not programme office and check with them. basically tell them what you want to do and see.
    also all the MST courses require a C in higher maths LC AFAIK. So make sure you have that requirement??

• Advertisement

Ah, ok. So basically there is no way that I can do ECON10030 because it's topics are overlapping with my maths courses.

If you want to major in ECON , do ECON10030. it will help with other ECON courses too as its the maths required to do ECON. also needed for intermediate quants. So whats the plan for your degree???? if i knew then could give you a better answer.

ok i had a look on the website and I checked the MST courses and it doesnt say they are compatible with any ECON courses. when i check ECON10030 it says its incompatible with MST1002E (calculus 2). not sure what the "E" means at the end of that. I would go to the student desk not programme office and check with them. basically tell them what you want to do and see.
    YES! For some reason it let me pick ECON10030! That's a relief. Thanks for the help. :D

But now I have another problem, in the UCD BA handbook it writes that I may take up to twenty optional credits per subject in addition to the ten I am already pre-registered with. But in the option modules page I am only presented with ten optional modules per subject. How or where do I spend the extra twenty?
    also all the MST courses require a C in higher maths LC AFAIK. So make sure you have that requirement??
    Yeah, I have a C3 in higher Maths.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

But now I have another problem, in the UCD BA handbook it writes that I may take up to twenty optional credits per subject in addition to the ten I am already pre-registered with. But in the option modules page I am only presented with ten optional modules per subject. How or where do I spend the extra twenty?
    One module = 5 credits, so the 20 credits will be made up of 4 modules.

YES! For some reason it let me pick ECON10030! That's a relief. Thanks for the help. :D

Yeah, I have a C3 in higher Maths.

Not entirely sure and dont want to speculate as i believe the system has changed a bit since last year. If you do the 4 ECON and 4 MST subjects I believe you have to spend 20 more credits where 10 or 20 credits can be from another subject from a separate group to make up 3 subject or you can take 2 elective modules and 2 modules from another subject. I did 4 ECON 4 MST 2 electives from random courses and 2 from another arts course. then took 12 ECON 2nd year and 12 ECON 3rd year. single subject major. highly recommend ECON. very interesting / practical. useful in real world if you want to do finance/econometrics/IB/trading/risk etc.

One module = 5 credits, so the 20 credits will be made up of 4 modules.
    So I have to take four electives? That doesn't sound right. I presumed I would be able to take twenty credits worth of optional modules in my two chosen subjects but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Hmmm, I've taken a look at the guide for registration video and it would seem that I should take three subjects? If this true? Am I supposed to take three subjects in first year?

Hmmm, I've taken a look at the guide for registration video and it would seem that I should take three subjects? If this true? Am I supposed to take three subjects in first year?

you can take 3 4 module subjects say economics politics and maths.

or do 4 economics 4 maths 2 politics 2 electives

or do 4 economics 4 maths 2 poltics 2 geography or whatever doesnt clash.

you can take 3 4 module subjects say economics politics and maths.

or do 4 economics 4 maths 2 politics 2 electives

or do 4 economics 4 maths 2 poltics 2 geography or whatever doesnt clash.
    Ah, I see. Thanks for that.

Advertisement