Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting Deposit Back after contract is over and all rules were obeyed

Options
  • 06-09-2010 1:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭

Hi,
    I've been renting an appartment from Property Team Henry in Sligo Town. The tenancy agreement was for a period of 6 moths. After my contract expired I cleaned the appartment (x-girlfriend helped and she was great at it) spotless, there were no breakages + I fixed a few bits in the house like arial etc... When moving out I was told that an agent will inspect the property and get back to me in a few days. A month went by and no sign. As I was living in Dublin I couldn't call up to them so all the communication was made threw the phone. So I rand a month after I moved out, and they said I didn't clean the appartment properly (most ridiculous statement if you could see the property when I was leaving). I requested an invoice, and a hand-written paper came in post couple days later, no stamp, no company name... 120e charge. When I rang them back I was told if a company's income is below a certain amount it doesn't need to be regitered? ok... lets believe that. After that it was promised to me that rest 280e will arrive in a cheque to my home address. 5 months after I didn't hear anything from the agency at all. So last week I was in Sligo and decided to call up to them where I bumped into their boss and asked her about the situation, to which she responded that the cheques mustf been sent one way or another??? :confused::mad: this obviously can be checked with the bank that I never received that money, as I didn't. I don't know what to do at this stage and I feel like I'm being victimised in this situation.
    Anton

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

yes you are being victimised. did you take photos of the place when you moved out to show it was clean

unfortunatly i have found that photos when you move in of the meter each room and all little marks on furniture etc followed by photos when you move out and having the person renting to you inspect the place when you are there is the only way to prevent this kind of behaviour (mabey its sligo i've rented in sligo for 14 years)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Initiate a complaint with the PRTB.

www.prtb.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭variety

crazyFeet wrote: »
    So I rand a month after I moved out, and they said I didn't clean the appartment properly (most ridiculous statement if you could see the property when I was leaving).

Ring Threshold and get them to help you. Under no circumstances can a Landlord withhold money from a Tenant for cleaning costs. Plain and simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Is the invoice you got for cleaning or repair? If it's for cleaning, they haven't got a leg to stand on, they cannot deduct from deposit for that,

I'd send thema registered letter, saying you expect full payment of deposit by X date. If not, you will take the case to the PRTB.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I wouldn't even bother giving them more time- I'd lodge an immediate complaint with the PRTB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭lisasimps

anyway the receipt should be on proper paper, with an invoice number, and the details of the business, it just wouldn't include VAT if it was below a certain threshold (35k for services).

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭crazyFeet

There were no breakages. The invoice stated that the charge is for cleaning services, which is absolutely ridiculous. But even if so where is the remainder, deposit 400e, cleaning chanrge 120e, and 280e for? Nerve wrecking services?

I got the Threshold involved already, waiting for the results now, will post what comes out from this. Never herd of PRTD, but I will give them a call tomorrow. At this stage it isn't even the money that really matters, it's just sickening that after paying rent on time everyweek I get such treatment from them people. I didn't take any pictures unfortunately, I never thought it might come to this...

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭crazyFeet

Hi Anton,

Below is the response I received from your former agent regarding your deposit.

I am out of the office until Tues 14 Sept 10.

Please contact me then.

Regards

Karina
    Advice Worker

Forwarded Message
    To: thresholdgalway@eircom.net
    Sent: Thursday, 9 September, 2010 17:24:37 GMT +00:00 GMT Britain, Ireland, Portugal
    Subject: Anton Gavrikov, formerly 1 Bridge Street, Sligo Deposit

Dear Karina,

We are writing to you in relation to your email dated 07/09/2010. Please note that as to our record deposit for 1 Bridge Street, Sligo was returned to the sum of €280.00 and forwarded to the address below:

Childers Heights
    106 A
    Ballina
    Co. Mayo

Deduction to the sum of €120.00 was made for the cleaning of the apartment, and Mr. Anton Gavrikov was informed about the deduction.

Should you require more information please do not hesitate in contacting our office.

Yours faithfully

Property Team Henry

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Start by calling the PRTB tomorrow. If you have not heard of them, chances are your landlord hasn't either (you should have gotten a confirmation that your LL registered with them when you started living there), and that will get LL in trouble, which he should be in!

Let Treshold and LL (maybe through Theshold?) know that you did not receive partial deposit- LL can check this easily as it won;t have been cashed, and are expecting full deposit by X date.

Advertisement