Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is the tree dead or wha'??

Options
  • 06-09-2010 1:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

Hi guys,

Need a bit of help with a tree I have in my garden. I dont know if its dead or not and dont know how to research it cause I dont know what its called. The top leaves seem to be hanging but the growth in the middle seems to be ok ( I think ). There is also fresh growth from the bottom of the tree but I dont know what to do with it!! Any help is greatfully appreciated!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

Vinnie70 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Need a bit of help with a tree I have in my garden. I dont know if its dead or not and dont know how to research it cause I dont know what its called. The top leaves seem to be hanging but the growth in the middle seems to be ok ( I think ). There is also fresh growth from the bottom of the tree but I dont know what to do with it!! Any help is greatfully appreciated!!

The tree is a Cordyline... Most have been badly effected by last Winters Frost's
    Have a look at this Thread, you will find all the details here what you need to do.

$ http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055801106

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

It's a Cordyline .

It looks as though it recovered from the damage caused by the deep freeze last winter.

I'd leave it alone and see if the top leaves bulk out next year.

The lower growth will become new "trunks" and should give it an interesting shape in years to come.

If anything like the cold we had last year is forecast you should throw a hessian sack or similar over it to prevent further damage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Far from Dead you will have a very nice specimen thanks to the hard spring frost... Feed it and it should grow as a nice multi-stem tree..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Vinnie70

Thanks a mill for the replies. It's great its not dead because I quite like it during the summer!! Reminds me of being on foreign shores !! I read on the thread that I should feed it now but anyone know what with?

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

Vinnie70 wrote: »
    Thanks a mill for the replies. It's great its not dead because I quite like it during the summer!! Reminds me of being on foreign shores !! I read on the thread that I should feed it now but anyone know what with?

Not quite sure if I'd feed much now except maybe

Bonemeal is a slow-release fertilizer, as it breaks down frees the nutrients it contains.

Try use a low dose of nitrogen, and Higher of phosphorus and potassium for Root development...

Chicken Pellets tend to be higher in Nitrogen!

Allow the new growth you have to harden/mature.. too much soft new growth will/can be burnt back be the coming frost's !!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Feed it in the late spring...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

bbam wrote: »
    Far from Dead you will have a very nice specimen thanks to the hard spring frost... Feed it and it should grow as a nice multi-stem tree..

i say same

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

Don't feed trees coming into autumn but rather @ the start of the growing season.

The last thing you want is soft new growth getting hammered by the cold again.

Advertisement