Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

garden center in newbridge selling dogs

• 06-09-2010 2:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

hi. just wondering has anyone else been into the garden in newbridge.. i was in there a cpl of weeks ago, i got the shock of my life. the shop is a discrace, its falling down, animals been keep in terrible conditions ie dirt and filth,:eek:then i saw he was selling dogs,,, in totally against dogs been sold in petshops. i put it to the owner and u dont want to know what his reply was.. has any1 else been in there would love to know if u have seen what i just posted

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Susannahmia

hi. just wondering has anyone else been into the garden in newbridge.. i was in there a cpl of weeks ago, i got the shock of my life. the shop is a discrace, its falling down, animals been keep in terrible conditions ie dirt and filth,:eek:then i saw he was selling dogs,,, in totally against dogs been sold in petshops. i put it to the owner and u dont want to know what his reply was.. has any1 else been in there would love to know if u have seen what i just posted

Yeah saw shih tzu pups there a few weeks ago. They looked miserable. Would break your heart.:( Petshop in portlaoise is selling kittens too. Has them stuck in a tiny cage all day and all weekend too :(.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

It used to be only fish and birds in that place in Newbridge. Keeping dogs in that small run down shed is not on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 secretnoise

i know its so sad.. i was in there and couldnt belive the dirt of the place .. birds living in filth the smell coming from the fish tanks was stomach wrenching... i didnt buy anything from them.. so i went down to the pet shop in the back street. and couldnt belive the difference spotless birds singing and avarys spotless,, i asked them about the selling of dogs and cats in pet shops,,, they said they are totally against such things, but there is nothing we can do as its not against the law, but the advice they did give me was , if i think any animal is been keep in bad conditions , or been ill treated in any way well i can report it to the kspca , the ispca, they gave me both numbers ,, but im not sure about ringing,, i dont really want to cause trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭anndub

Ring! You can stay anonymous as far as I'm aware. There's never an excuse for someone making a profit out of animal cruelty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

anndub wrote: »
    Ring! You can stay anonymous as far as I'm aware. There's never an excuse for someone making a profit out of animal cruelty

No but, unfortunately, it is OK with those who could something about it - politicians, local authority staff etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭leddpipe

i agree!ive often thought if i could afford it id buy the parrot and release him into a huge aviary!poor thing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Kaaatelyn

Maybe if you dont want to ring yourself you could let the other pet shop in Newbridge know. They're very against selling dogs so they might know what steps to take?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Can someone pm me the name of the garden centre please.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Phenix

you wouldnt be causing trouble by ringing. i reported a fairly known pet shop in my area in Dublin. i only ever walked into the place once, saw they were selling pups (in wretched conditions) and walked straight back out.
    i rang the DSPCA, they told me they have had numerous complains abt this particular shop but as the pups had food/water there wasnt much they could do, but they had officers visit the shop regularly to keep an eye on them

ps the shop has since gone - although another pet shop is in its place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 secretnoise

update. i think someone has reported him already to the kspca.. when he was told he was been reported ,,, seemely his reply #x#x= and i dont give a ----

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

You can also contact your local councillors and do things like writing a letter describing what you've seen to your local paper in the hopes that it will raise awareness of the disgusting conditions you've seen. Also definitely report it to the local SPCA- even if someone else already has done so, it only confirms that there's a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 smurfet2

I was in there the other week and the filth of the cages and tanks was unreal. I went in to inquire about a pet and asked the owner what was involved in taking care of it...a two year old could have told me more than he did, shows how much he knows and cares for the animals!

Also, he was smoking when I went in.. Is this legal???!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Smoking in the shop is illegal, there's probably more chance of him getting into trouble over that than the way he keeps his animals!!!

OP, if you don't want to get anyone into trouble by ringing (although this guy sounds like he needs a kick up the arse), then pm me the details I will have no hesitation in ringing the ispca and reporting him (for all the good it would do)

Advertisement