Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a Game of Soccer

• 06-09-2010 2:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭natnifnolnacs

This was arranged on boards in Waterford and worked really well. We found a local astroturf pitch and people signed up on the thread weekly whether they would play that week. It worked so well in fact that they have since set up a floodlight league team this year!

Anyway, I've moved to Limerick and was wondering if we would find enough people to set up a game of our own? I'm based near castletroy so ideally would like to set it up this side but that depends on numbers.

So, anyone interested, post up here and we'll see how many we can get! Monday night is only really a suggestion but it would be perfect for me :D

Also, don't be frightened off thinking the level will be too high, all ages/skill levels welcome. I'm no undiscovered talent anyway :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

I'd play as long as I'm not working,play on Tuesdays already so Monday would be good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭natnifnolnacs

I'd play as long as I'm not working,play on Tuesdays already so Monday would be good.

good stuff, one a side it is :D

Where do you play on a tuesday? I haven't checked out any pitches yet and I don't really know any up here apart from the ones in UL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

LIT,hard enough to get a spot there tho.Plenty of places to play in and around the city.

These threads always pop up here now and again,always seems to be some interest.Keep the thread alive ya might get lucky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Hooked

We gave up our Tuesday slot in Castletroy College at 6 bells after 4 or so years and I'm gagging for a game as Thursdays once a week isn't enough for me... One or two from our cancelled Tuesday game might be up for it too.

Castletroy side of town would suit me and prob a few more.
    Any day except Thursday.

New indoor astro opening too in Delta Retail park might be an option.

Will keep an eye on this thread so!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Monday evening/night would be great for me :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭MissHoneyBun

How come girls never wanna go play soccer! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

How come girls never wanna go play soccer! :mad:

Cause they're girls

Bumpidy Bump!!!

Myself and (at least) 2 others definitely interested...

One of the lads just back from a look at the new indoor
    astro turf 7 pitches in Delta - with changing rooms n showers.

Very impressed apparently...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭Rocky_Dennis

I would be interested in this too, i could def get at least 1more, monday would be perfect for me too as long as its after 6, if it was 6 in pitches in ul, that would be fine but if i had to travel, half 6 would be the earliest.

Update:

natnifnolnacs = 1

TestTransmission = 1

Insect Overlord = 1

Andrewh1984 + at least 1 = 2

Hooked + 2 = 3

Looks like we're up to 8, and I don't mean to hijack the OPs thread...

Will we make a panel of say 12 or 14, and arrange, on a first come, first served basis - 10 players to confirm week by week on email to allow for injuries, absentees etc?

Ill leave it to natnifnolnacs to decide on day, time and venue - lets just keep this thread alive and try and make this happen.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Someone could set up a private Social Group for discussions as well, if we ended up getting enough players together.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/group.php?do=create

:)

Cant get an answer from Delta Soccer dome...

I'd imagine newly opened with 7 pitches it would be available...

Castletroy college have only 1 slot on a Monday. 10pm

Three slots available on Tuesdays, 6pm, 7pm and 10pm
    (which doesnt suit TT)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

id possibly be up for this if you dont mind a useless player taggin along.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 105 ✭✭damoth

i'm interested too...

Zuroph and Damoth maketh 10 available... SO FAR...

I'm going to go out on a limb and say we should get a Panel of at least 14, and possibly look at Delta Soccer dome - as Castletroy isn't available until 10pm on Mondays...

I'm off on me holliers for 5 days tomorrow so will check back in late next week. Delta soccer dome opening monday - perhaps the OP or one of us should put in a preliminary booking from Monday 20th and we can swap emails over PM and organise first come first served 10 palyers on a week by week basis?

Keep bumping the thread lads!!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I'm certainly interested but might be starting a course Mondays :o Will get back to ye.

This is great, I didn't expect such a quick response! Monday seems to suit the majority of people so I think we'll go with that.

on the delta dome website anything after 6pm is €60 an hour, they look great but I wonder if there is anything cheaper out there?

@hooked - if your mate has been out there, are they strictly 5 a side size or would you get away with 6 a side?

What I would ideally like to do is get somewhere that will charge €50 or under a week. That way we can play or €5/€6 a week each and start to build a bit of a kitty. This would be used to buy a few balls, bibs, and if we have a bad attendance week once in a while it might cover the difference.

I actually didn't expect such a response to this at all, I thought it would take a few weeks to get enough players together! As it happens, I am out injured for a few weeks*(ankle ligaments) so I aim to be playing again by the end of the month. I'll look into the delta dome and I'll try find out if you can book the pitches in UL.

I think the best way to run it is that every week from a tuesday you can sign up for the next weeks game on this thread. emails etc will get messy, if everything is kept on thread it's easier to see. So far we have a list of interested people

natnifnolnacs = 1

TestTransmission = 1

Insect Overlord = 1

Hooked + 2 = 3

zuroph

damoth

futureguy*(maybe)

I'll check out a few places to play and I don't mind booking it for the 20th and I'll join in a week or 2 later. If anyone has any other suggestions as to pitches then shout!

This is great, I didn't expect such a quick response! Monday seems to suit the majority of people so I think we'll go with that.

on the delta dome website anything after 6pm is €60 an hour, they look great but I wonder if there is anything cheaper out there?

@hooked - if your mate has been out there, are they strictly 5 a side size or would you get away with 6 a side?

What I would ideally like to do is get somewhere that will charge €50 or under a week. That way we can play or €5/€6 a week each and start to build a bit of a kitty. This would be used to buy a few balls, bibs, and if we have a bad attendance week once in a while it might cover the difference.

I actually didn't expect such a response to this at all, I thought it would take a few weeks to get enough players together! As it happens, I am out injured for a few weeks*(ankle ligaments) so I aim to be playing again by the end of the month. I'll look into the delta dome and I'll try find out if you can book the pitches in UL.

I think the best way to run it is that every week from a tuesday you can sign up for the next weeks game on this thread. emails etc will get messy, if everything is kept on thread it's easier to see. So far we have a list of interested people

natnifnolnacs = 1

TestTransmission = 1

Insect Overlord = 1

Hooked + 2 = 3

zuroph

damoth

futureguy*(maybe)

I'll check out a few places to play and I don't mind booking it for the 20th and I'll join in a week or 2 later. If anyone has any other suggestions as to pitches then shout!

Haven't seen the pitches - and would really be against a 6 a side (too crowded), unless of course the pitches are larger than usual...

To be honest, I've been involved in UL, Castletroy College, Crescent Comp, Corbally astro and Clonlara and have never paid less than a fiver for indoor or astro, so 5-6 IMO would be average.

I have bibs and balls to get us started - but from experience we'll need at least 14 signed up as the regular ten never show week by week. Which, of course, is understandable.

I'd call out to Delta Minday but I'll be sunning myself in Spain. Will check it out late next week when I get back!

To those just reading:

Were up to 10 and 1 more maybe.. Looking for 4 more ringers lads.....

Possibly Mondays (after 7pm to allow lads finish work)

Possibly Delta Retail Park indoor astro (no dodgy winter weather no shows!!)

We'll pool emails and do a first come, first served 10 lads (EDIT possibly sign up weekly via boards thread)...

Starting on or after Monday 20th September

Cost 6 euro a man, payable on the night
    (experience has taught me that any other form of payment results in disaster)

So, who's the final 4???

All levels of fitness and skill (and sex?) welcome...

Hooked wrote: »
    Haven't seen the pitches - and would really be against a 6 a side (too crowded), unless of course the pitches are larger than usual...

To be honest, I've been involved in UL, Castletroy College, Crescent Comp, Corbally astro and Clonlara and have never paid less than a fiver for indoor or astro, so 5-6 IMO would be average.

I have bibs and balls to get us started - but from experience we'll need at least 14 signed up as the regular ten never show week by week. Which, of course, is understandable.

I'd call out to Delta Minday but I'll be sunning myself in Spain. Will check it out late next week when I get back!

To those just reading:

Were up to 10 and 1 more maybe.. Looking for 4 more ringers lads.....

Possibly Mondays (after 7pm to allow lads finish work)

Possibly Delta Retail Park indoor astro (no dodgy winter weather no shows!!)

We'll pool emails and do a first come, first served 10 lads (EDIT possibly sign up weekly via boards thread)...

Starting on or after Monday 20th September

Cost 6 euro a man, payable on the night
    (experience has taught me that any other form of payment results in disaster)

So, who's the final 4???

All levels of fitness and skill (and sex?) welcome...

I haven't seen the pitches either and we definitely don't want it overcrowded, the reason I mentioned it is that both places I played in Waterford would comfortably hold 6/7 a side. If these don't, then 5 a side it is. :)

Everything else above is grand except for the sign up over email thing. I think it's best to sign up on the thread. Once we are up and running every tue me(*or someone else, whoever gets there first!) will start a new list for the following weeks game. it's easier than emailing over and back I reckon.

If we could get somewhere handy for €50 I'd be happy out, but if not we'll just go with delta. I'll look into options over the next few days and we'll aim to start on Monday week*(I'll probably not play for another week or 2, want to make sure I on't just e-injure my ankle by playing too soon!)

I haven't seen the pitches either and we definitely don't want it overcrowded, the reason I mentioned it is that both places I played in Waterford would comfortably hold 6/7 a side. If these don't, then 5 a side it is. :)

Everything else above is grand except for the sign up over email thing. I think it's best to sign up on the thread. Once we are up and running every tue me(*or someone else, whoever gets there first!) will start a new list for the following weeks game. it's easier than emailing over and back I reckon.

If we could get somewhere handy for €50 I'd be happy out, but if not we'll just go with delta. I'll look into options over the next few days and we'll aim to start on Monday week*(I'll probably not play for another week or 2, want to make sure I on't just e-injure my ankle by playing too soon!)

Cool Beans on all of the above - keep us posted! I've another ringer possibly in.

• Advertisement

I just got through to UL there, on a Monday there is the following available
    *7:30 - 8:15 for €35. It's only 45 mins but is still reasonably cheap
    *9:45 - 10:45 - I assume it will be around €48 for this, but it might be bit late for people.

Through a it of googling I found another place just off the Dublin road near Superquinn, the castletroy sports park but I'm having trouble getting a number for it. I live near there so I'll swing by later if I can't get a number.

I have 1 more definate anyway lads so that brings the total to 12 i think, id say we could push on and try organise it for the 20th, delta sounds like a good spot to have it, €6 per player isnt too bad, its average and if we could get a decent time, it would be worth it. If UL suits better for people, then we could go with that too, im easy going to wherever we play anyway.

I just got through to UL there, on a Monday there is the following available
    *7:30 - 8:15 for €35. It's only 45 mins but is still reasonably cheap
    *9:45 - 10:45 - I assume it will be around €48 for this, but it might be bit late for people.

Through a it of googling I found another place just off the Dublin road near Superquinn, the castletroy sports park but I'm having trouble getting a number for it. I live near there so I'll swing by later if I can't get a number.

Don't bother... I was on to Paula. Only 10pm available.

I've me +3 now (4 players) and our preference would be for Delta and the hour. Though I've heard its bigger than usual and may suit 12 @ 5euro a man.

Off on me hols tomorrow for 5 days so I'll pop back next Wed and see if a game is organised for Monday 20th. Thanks to all!

I have 1 more definate anyway lads so that brings the total to 12 i think, id say we could push on and try organise it for the 20th, delta sounds like a good spot to have it, €6 per player isnt too bad, its average and if we could get a decent time, it would be worth it. If UL suits better for people, then we could go with that too, im easy going to wherever we play anyway.

I'm with you Andrew - Delta on Monday nights and we'll do a trial run with ten and see if 12 would be suited. still waiting on a call back to see about availability. Though 7 pitches, newly opened, should have a slot!

I'll pop back next wednesday and see what the verdict is!!!

Having played astro and UL (is it indoor or outdoor thats priced?) I'd prefer the Delta as weather can never spoil play, especially in the run up to winter!

Keep it up lads!!! I've me +3 confirmed.

Indoor is def the way to go and delta sounds ideal. Im sure we will get a decent time there for a monday nite, i will try ring them and will post back here with available times and we can all decide on which time will suit best.

I rang delta and he said he will contact me early next week with times that are available, they are not opening till Monday 13th and he reckons that they wont be fully opened, so Monday the 20th will be ideal to get started if that suits every1?????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

I'll be away that week, but will deffo be interested.

I rang delta and he said he will contact me early next week with times that are available, they are not opening till Monday 13th and he reckons that they wont be fully opened, so Monday the 20th will be ideal to get started if that suits every1?????

good man Andrew, I'll leave Delta to you so, if you just post up when they et back to you. When they get back o you will you ask if it's big enough for 6 a side? And maybe mention we would be interested in booking a slot long term, see if they will give us a bit of a discount ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 26 gariceimo

I would be interested too, so would my roommate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,448 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Just to let you know..we play in the Crescent Comp out by Dooradoyle and it's an excellent facility.
    The one thing is we can't use the showers as we play at 6pm so the school kids are using those and one of the parents objected to us using it...PC gone mad :mad:
    We normally pay €5 each which also contributes towards insurance as they all insist on it now. Make sure to take that into your calculations.
    Plus we normally play 7v7 (minimum 12) as they're big enough for that...14 is perfect though.

Advertisement