Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BHAA Cork to Cobh 3rd Oct

• 06-09-2010 2:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭

Just wondering how many boardsies are doing this? I'm looking forward to it.

Rate this race based on, Scenery, PB potential, Atmosphere, Value, Organisation 12 votes

5 stars (excellent)
    0%
    4 stars (good)
    91%
    opushunnymonsterxebecCondo131Muppet Manblind_hurlerchinguettiKentuckyPeteCorkRunningCorkie100elnino23 11 votes
    3 stars (average)
    8%
    jaytobe 1 vote
    2 stars (poor)
    0%
    1 star (terrible)
    0%

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

4 stars (good)
    I sent them an email about a route profile last night. Good idea as a run prior to Dublin. Great minds think alike and all that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Condo131

4 stars (good)
    This what you're looking for?

I'm doing it - I've done it every year since it resumed (after an 8 or 9 year absence) in 1990 (1991?) - apart from 1 year it wasn't run officially.

I hope to base my Dublin pace on this race (assuming both days are good ;) )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

Condo131 wrote: »
    This what you're looking for?

I'm doing it - I've done it every year since it resumed (after an 8 or 9 year absence) in 1990 (1991?) - apart from 1 year it wasn't run officially.

I hope to base my Dublin pace on this race (assuming both days are good ;) )

are you racing this condo, with a view to using a mcmillan style marathon equivalent pace for dublin marathon or, are you running the 15m at PMP?

i might do the race, depending on a few factors but it will be a training run more than a race for me i think....thanks for the elevation profile, looks flat enough

4 stars (good)
    Thanks for the profile Condo. Would i right in thinking that if the day was windy, some sections of the course would be a bit exposed?

Not sure if i'll be doing it at full pelt or just as a lsr but will problem decide the week before.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Corkie100

4 stars (good)
    Hi, I was also wondering how the more experienced runners are treating the cork to cobh race, in terms of preparation for the DCM?? I'm following Hal Higdon intermediate II programme, and should be doing 20 miles that day. I'd like to try and push my pace over the 15 miles, though, to see how I'm doing for the marathon, so I'm not sure how running an extra 5 that day would fit in. I've kept to all the long runs on the schedule (have adjusted a lot of the shorter ones to fit in with track sessions and races). Am i right in thinking that it would be stupid to do a v slow 20 miler the following weekend and only have a 2 week taper?? It's just that the schedule suggests 12 miles the week before Cork to Cobh, and i know I'm going to panic during the taper period if it's been several weeks since a 'proper' LSR.....
    Apologies, I have NO idea if this makes any sense at all, am even confusing myself!!
    :confused::confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

4 stars (good)
    I'm very tempted to head down to Cork for this one, have heard great reports on it. Will see if I can put the logistics in place over the next few weeks and hopefully see a few of you there.

4 stars (good)
    seanynova wrote: »
    are you racing this condo, with a view to using a mcmillan style marathon equivalent pace for dublin marathon or, are you running the 15m at PMP?

i might do the race, depending on a few factors but it will be a training run more than a race for me i think....thanks for the elevation profile, looks flat enough
    I intend racing it - not that I know how to race long distances anymore - P.B. for the course is 88:28, set a long time ago - last year 1:53. I'll base my Dublin time on the HM time here. Dublin pace = twice HM + 10 min.

Course is pretty flat until about 11 miles. I find the worst section is around 13.75 miles, passing the dockyard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

4 stars (good)
    Corkie100 wrote: »
    Hi, I was also wondering how the more experienced runners are treating the cork to cobh race, in terms of preparation for the DCM?? I'm following Hal Higdon intermediate II programme, and should be doing 20 miles that day. I'd like to try and push my pace over the 15 miles, though, to see how I'm doing for the marathon, so I'm not sure how running an extra 5 that day would fit in. I've kept to all the long runs on the schedule (have adjusted a lot of the shorter ones to fit in with track sessions and races). Am i right in thinking that it would be stupid to do a v slow 20 miler the following weekend and only have a 2 week taper?? It's just that the schedule suggests 12 miles the week before Cork to Cobh, and i know I'm going to panic during the taper period if it's been several weeks since a 'proper' LSR.....
    Apologies, I have NO idea if this makes any sense at all, am even confusing myself!!
    :confused::confused:
    It depends (which is about as useful as HTFU as an answer!). You have a number of options:
    - run 5 miles very slowly before C2C and then run the race. The huge disadvantage of this is that 15 miles is a fair distance to "race" with 5 already done
    - run the race in the morning, eat and rest well and then add the 5 in the evening. Again, the problem is you're not doing 20 in one go but the second run with be on tired legs from the race so it's still of some benefit.
    - just run the 15 miles. I'd only do this is you have a lot of mileage in the bag.
    - so the 20 the following week. a 2 week taper is plenty for a marathon. This would be my favoured approach
    - do the 20 miler midweek?
    xebec wrote: »
    I'm very tempted to head down to Cork for this one, have heard great reports on it. Will see if I can put the logistics in place over the next few weeks and hopefully see a few of you there.
    give us a shout if you need B&B.

4 stars (good)
    chinguetti wrote: »
    Would i right in thinking that if the day was windy, some sections of the course would be a bit exposed?
    As i said before, I've done all the C2Cs in the current incarnation, however I've only found the wind an issue on two days in particular, even though we've had several pretty miserable days.
    The first windy day was my first one, but the wind was behind for the first half and I managed to tear out at 5:45 pace (I'd KILL to do that now - can't even manage it for 1 mile now :(:( ) for the first 4 miles, before the wind dropped.

The second day, there was a strong southwesterly and it was very tough between 10.5M and 11.5M.

I particularly like this course. It's pretty flat, with few hills. (really it is flat, with no hills - only drags)
    Start is downhill for the first 1/3rd mile, then you have a very slight rise for about 300m, another @about 1.5 miles (skew bridge in Tivoli), then a short drag after the Dunkettle roundabout (abt 4 miles). Next rise is up the slip road to little Island (c. 5 miles), followed by a long (abt 0.5 mile) even drag to Glountaune (c. 6 miles). Next rise I find tough (because you've been on the flat for so long) is Killacloyne Bridge (approx. halfway). You have another bit of a rise at the Cobh Cross roundabout.

Belvelly Bridge (humpback) is at approx. 10.5 miles and is commonly referred to as "Where the race starts". You are on flat, open, road here until 11 Miles, after which you have a slight rise and drag, followed by a tough drag past the old IFI plant, almost as far as 12M. Then you have another drag for about 0.5M, followed by about 1M of flat. After this you hit the 250m drag/hill at the Dockyard. Get over this and you're "home free". The 14M is just around the corner, though most of the last Mile is on concrete, up a slight incline, until 400m to go, when it is downhill for 200m and flat for the last 200m.
    QED :rolleyes:

BTW: Race entry fee is a mere €10 (for pre-entries) see Cork BHAA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

I'm planning on heading down for this too. Did it in '07 and always wanted to go back and have another crack at it.

• Advertisement

4 stars (good)
    Will be heading back to Dublin on Sunday afternoon if your flight is from Dublin Airport in the evening, xebec.

As i said before, I've done all the C2Cs in the current incarnation, however I've only found the wind an issue on two days in particular, even though we've had several pretty miserable days.
    The first windy day was my first one, but the wind was behind for the first half and I managed to tear out at 5:45 pace (I'd KILL to do that now - can't even manage it for 1 mile now :(:( ) for the first 4 miles, before the wind dropped.

The second day, there was a strong southwesterly and it was very tough between 10.5M and 11.5M.

I particularly like this course. It's pretty flat, with few hills. (really it is flat, with no hills - only drags)
    Start is downhill for the first 1/3rd mile, then you have a very slight rise for about 300m, another @about 1.5 miles (skew bridge in Tivoli), then a short drag after the Dunkettle roundabout (abt 4 miles). Next rise is up the slip road to little Island (c. 5 miles), followed by a long (abt 0.5 mile) even drag to Glountaune (c. 6 miles). Next rise I find tough (because you've been on the flat for so long) is Killacloyne Bridge (approx. halfway). You have another bit of a rise at the Cobh Cross roundabout.

Belvelly Bridge (humpback) is at approx. 10.5 miles and is commonly referred to as "Where the race starts". You are on flat, open, road here until 11 Miles, after which you have a slight rise and drag, followed by a tough drag past the old IFI plant, almost as far as 12M. Then you have another drag for about 0.5M, followed by about 1M of flat. After this you hit the 250m drag/hill at the Dockyard. Get over this and you're "home free". The 14M is just around the corner, though most of the last Mile is on concrete, up a slight incline, until 400m to go, when it is downhill for 200m and flat for the last 200m.
    QED :rolleyes:

BTW: Race entry fee is a mere €10 (for pre-entries) see Cork BHAA

very detaild description, cheers!
    I intend racing it - not that I know how to race long distances anymore - P.B. for the course is 88:28, set a long time ago - last year 1:53. I'll base my Dublin time on the HM time here. Dublin pace = twice HM + 10 min.

Course is pretty flat until about 11 miles. I find the worst section is around 13.75 miles, passing the dockyard.

savage PB Condo! well under 6m/m!!! ill prob give it a go as i have a 20m/15PMP that week.
    ill race the cork half this weekend and use that as my marathon pace though, its a safer bet!

4 stars (good)
    Savage PB Condo! well under 6m/m!!! ill prob give it a go as i have a 20m/15PMP that week.
    Thanks! It was a long time ago though - 1991.
    ill race the cork half this weekend and use that as my marathon pace though, its a safer bet!
    We're at opposites here. I'm racing C2C, while you're training it.

I'm training the Cork Half, while you're racing! :cool: - planning on training to the other side of Grenagh and (maybe) then giving it a bit of a lash for the last 5 or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭pablo t

It depends (which is about as useful as HTFU as an answer!). You have a number of options:
    - run 5 miles very slowly before C2C and then run the race. The huge disadvantage of this is that 15 miles is a fair distance to "race" with 5 already done
    - run the race in the morning, eat and rest well and then add the 5 in the evening. Again, the problem is you're not doing 20 in one go but the second run with be on tired legs from the race so it's still of some benefit.
    - just run the 15 miles. I'd only do this is you have a lot of mileage in the bag.
    - so the 20 the following week. a 2 week taper is plenty for a marathon. This would be my favoured approach
    - do the 20 miler midweek?

you could also do 3 mile warm up and 2 mile warm down and make up the 20 that way. . thatway you have 3 rather than 5 miles in the legs before racing if that was an issue for you.
    Hope to be on the start line for this too. did it at marathon pace last year in prep for dublin and found it was a great session. also nice atmosphere throughout. cant beat the entry price either.
    hope to see ye boardsies there

Thanks! It was a long time ago though - 1991.

We're at opposites here. I'm racing C2C, while you're training it.

I'm training the Cork Half, while you're racing! :cool: - planning on training to the other side of Grenagh and (maybe) then giving it a bit of a lash for the last 5 or so.

1991, 2001.....2011.....doesnt matter, sub 6 over 15miles is great running, and you can always take that with you!

cork half could very well turn into a training run for me too! thats even if i make it to grenagh :eek:

do you think you would be recovered enough from the 15m race before dublin?
    i did a half 3 weeks out from edinburgh marathon last may and i though i was recovered but i had other issues to deal with during taper!

4 stars (good)
    1991, 2001.....2011.....doesnt matter, sub 6 over 15miles is great running, and you can always take that with you!
    Thanks!
    do you think you would be recovered enough from the 15m race before dublin?
    If I only knew that! Twenty years ago, even 10 years ago, I would have said "Yes!" emphatically.

Unfortunately, age progression means that recovery takes longer, even if I still think I'm thirty something - (58 next up! :D:eek::D ) I'm still using the maxim of "recovery of a day per mile". That should see me Ok...providing I don't suffer too badly on the day....stay injury free..etc, etc. A lot will depend on how I'm feeling going into C2C.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,027 ✭✭✭opus

4 stars (good)
    I was very tempted to enter it but seeing as I'm giving the Berlin marathon a go the previous Sunday have decided to give myself that weekend off! Yes I know I should just HTFU :)

Thanks!

If I only knew that! Twenty years ago, even 10 years ago, I would have said "Yes!" emphatically.

Unfortunately, age progression means that recovery takes longer, even if I still think I'm thirty something - (58 next up! :D:eek::D ) I'm still using the maxim of "recovery of a day per mile". That should see me Ok...providing I don't suffer too badly on the day....stay injury free..etc, etc. A lot will depend on how I'm feeling going into C2C.

58! fair play....well you have 22 days to DCM after the C2C so im sure you will be back to full strenght for the marathon.....you have me thinking now, should i race C2C, or would the PMP serve me better!!! maybe ill wait and see how the half goes first, if i get what i want them the PMP will do, if not i might have to race C2C...

4 stars (good)

Cheers, have lots of relatives who I can annoy for a bed in Cork too, but will let you know sooner to the race :)
    chinguetti wrote: »
    Will be heading back to Dublin on Sunday afternoon if your flight is from Dublin Airport in the evening, xebec.

Thanks! If I come down for it I'll deffo take you up on that, flight will be Monday morning so no major rush to get back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

It's as easy a course as you will ever find in Ireland and it's a very well organised race.

I raced this in 2008 and had a great time as well as a fast race, but to this day I wonder if this hurt me enough to cost me my sub-3 marathon in Dublin.

I'm still undecided for this year, it all depends how the legs rebound after Dingle. It would make a good long run before Dublin, though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 jinxy1

Hi,
    I'm hoping to do the Cork to Cobh for the first time in October, does anyone know if there will be buses to take us back to Cork or what do people normally do ?!! :confused:

4 stars (good)
    Train!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 167 ✭✭RICHIE-RICH

You could car pool - leave a car in Cobh on Sat night/Sun morning and get a lift back to Cork, and then pick it up.
    The train is probably the easiest option. Leave car in Cork, run to Cobh, and get train back.
    Times of trains back from Cobh on Sundays are:
    11:30
    12:30
    13:30
    15:00
    16:30

Takes 25 mins to get to Cork. I would advise to check timetables again nearer the date in case there is a disruption, or buses instead of trains or whatever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 jinxy1

Thanks guys, never thought of the train, didn't fancy running back !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

4 stars (good)
    Does anyone know if the numbers are posted out before this or picked up on the day? Won't be in Dublin much over the next few weeks so a number sitting in my postbox here isn't much use to me!

Still trying to sort out the logistics, of course work has thrown another spanner in the works and it looks like if I can manage it it'll mean flying direct to Cork on Sat and an afternoon flight back to London on Sun afternoon - why can't things be easy?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭KentuckyPete

4 stars (good)
    xebec wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the numbers are posted out before this or picked up on the day? Won't be in Dublin much over the next few weeks so a number sitting in my postbox here isn't much use to me!

Still trying to sort out the logistics, of course work has thrown another spanner in the works and it looks like if I can manage it it'll mean flying direct to Cork on Sat and an afternoon flight back to London on Sun afternoon - why can't things be easy?!

Xebec there's registration on the day so I'm sure if you don't get your number in the post you can go along there and they'll sort you. This is an event for runners - not for profiit - so you should be OK either way

4 stars (good)
    Latest I'm hearing is that the start and the first 5 miles is reverting to the pre 2008 course.

In other words the start will be by St. Patrick's church and, after the Dunkettle roundabout, instead of going over the flyover at Dunkettle interchange, we will be going down the slip-road to the roundabout, thro the roundabout, up the other slip-road and then off along the road to North ESK and rejoin the normal route at Little Island.

In short the changes are:
    The first half mile of last years course is gone.
    The section from Dunkettle to Little Island (about 2 miles) - reverts to old course.

4 stars (good)
    I prefer this. I was never a fan of starting a race with a steep downhill going into a turn.

The mile markers were painted today. Sometime between 11 am when I ran into town and 6pm when I went home again :-)

• Advertisement

4 stars (good)
    Sometime between 11 am when I ran into town and 6pm when I went home again :-)
    Just a stroll in the park for you? :D :cool:

4 stars (good)
    Just a stroll in the park for you? :D :cool:
    lol, I did spend the interval at the Farm :-)

4 stars (good)
    race numbers arrived in the post yesterday :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Wally Runs

Wally, will be there too! Looking forward to it, a novel distance. If you are O2 there is a 20% discount on trains, mind you, the codes are on Biz/consumer/Bargin alerts.

4 stars (good)
    If anyone wants to drop a car out (or take the train) on Satuday evening, they're more than welcome to some nosh in our place and I can drop you back into Cork city afterwards. it won't be anything fancy (pasta and beer) but would be a cheap boards get together.

4 stars (good)
    Thanks for the offer HM but i'm staying out in Midleton with friends. Are you doing it yourself by the way?

See that the weather is wet for Sunday but not too windy which would be grand.

• Advertisement

4 stars (good)
    race numbers arrived in the post yesterday :-)

Mine too? Will give you a shout later in the week to sort logistics ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭elnino23

4 stars (good)
    How many People are entered this year?
    this is my first time i live in cobh and have been saying for year i should do it so am giving it a go im only runnin at 8.45mm so will be down the back but looking forward to it

4 stars (good)
    hey welcome to boards.ie elnino23. Cork to Cobh is a lovely race. If you look on the cork bhaa website you should see results for last year and this will give you an indication of how many people take part and the finishing times so you can work out where you will be in the pack.

xebec, no number for you yet. I'll let you know when it arrives.

4 stars (good)
    Thanks

i drive the course everyday to work and run round cobh 4 nights a week so pretty familiar with the course.
    Cant wait should be fun, very nervous tho used to running at my own (slow) pace.
    seeing the results from last year seems a very competitive race

4 stars (good)
    8:45s will be more than fine. That's probably what I'll be running at but it's normal to be nervous before a first race on home turf. I work in the city too and the route is one of my regular training runs. It's a lot more fun with a couple of hundred people to keep you company.

• Advertisement

4 stars (good)
    xebec, no number for you yet. I'll let you know when it arrives.

Cool, thanks! Not too worried, do have a mail from the organiser saying he'd hold onto it for me on the day but just thought I'd check... Either way I'm sure I'll get a number ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

I missed the pre registration cut off, so have to fork out the full 20 bucks on the day. I was told that the BHAA Dublin members could register at €10 on the day, until i decided to double check for myself :(

4 stars (good)
    Aimman wrote: »
    I missed the pre registration cut off, so have to fork out the full 20 bucks on the day. I was told that the BHAA Dublin members could register at €10 on the day, until i decided to double check for myself :(
    I realise that you were caught for the extra tenner. However, even at €20, where would you be going. A quality 15 mile race, well marked, well stewarded, food afterwards AND you get a T-shirt and a goodie bag!

Think of all the races cropping up all over the country, where the entry fee is €40/50/60/whatever.

...............and, if you made the entry cut off date, it was only €10!

Value for money! Way to go Cork BHAA!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 167 ✭✭RICHIE-RICH

I just reviewed last years Cork Cobh results, and notice a number of runners (approx 20) were down on the results sheets as "earphone wearers" and were given a time but also disqualified.

Just a word of warning to those who like to wear earphones!

(Please note- I am not attempting to open any discussion/arguement on the merits, demerits, or otherwise of earphone wearing.)

4 stars (good)
    Well they say on the letter you get with your number that earphone wearing is banned so anyone who wears them has no excuse.

I've no problem with this and i'm always amazed why people need headphones while running a race as you can't hear any announcements, the crowds cheering or the funny remarks from the runners around you which is the best thing to work off in my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭jaytobe

3 stars (average)
    8:45s will be more than fine. That's probably what I'll be running at but it's normal to be nervous before a first race on home turf. I work in the city too and the route is one of my regular training runs. It's a lot more fun with a couple of hundred people to keep you company.
    Getting worried now...probably a little slower pace than that. First 609 from 800 under 9mm!

Assume there is no gels given out...are water stops at 6 and 12 like DCM?

4 stars (good)
    3 or 4 years ago, a girl, wearing headphones, was running about 100m ahead of me, around the 11.5M mark. Running in the middle of the road, she had to be pulled off the centre by another runner, to allow an ambulance, c/w siren blaring, to pass. To this day I can't figure it out sirens are damn loud. What was she listening to? 1812 Overture?? At full blast..........???

To answer the last poster
    No gels
    Water: From recollection - Manned tables at 5, 8, 12. Usually cups.

Don't worry.....just enjoy!

This is one of my favourite races.....haven't missed it since it was revived in 1990 (1989??)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭KentuckyPete

4 stars (good)
    The full race preview is now online at the ever-wonderful Running in Cork

Don't forget, now that we have Google street view you can click your way along the full course and gain all the local knowledge.

My race number never arrived this week so it's an early trip to the Montenotte Hotel for me on Sunday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭geld

I did this race once a few years ago and It was spot on. Had everything a quality race should have. For those of you doing it best of luck with it but mostly enjoy it.

4 stars (good)
    Skys are nice and clear right now here in cobh and looks like we may avoid any real bad showers in the morning

• Advertisement
Advertisement