Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Checklist for buying a vespa

• 06-09-2010 2:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm looking at buying a Vespa over the coming days through a private sale. I'm probably get a 125 or a 200. Just looking to get a checklist of things to look for when looking at one. I've only ever ridden scooter a few times on holidays etc

My younger brother drives a bike so I can probably get him to take it for a prospective one for hoon but I'm wondering what else to look out for when looking at it.

cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

After ten loving years together, I've parted with my Vespa PX200 :(

I've never had one problem with it, despite being a constant commuter all those years.

Only advice I can give it try get one in original condition (no after market bits), esp one with an original exhaust as many after market exhausts can effect the power of your bike horribly.

Other than that, bodywork, bodywork, bodywork... There are almost no plastic parts and while their not know to rust any rust can be expensive, esp on the floorboards if the rust is running through the metal work - if thats the case I'd look elsewhere unless its very cheap.

Fine if its serviced regularly, however I'd be more concerned with cables. Esp. the clutch cable, if the seller have a heavy duty cable fitted great - if not, it might be something you'll get a few quid off for... Speaking of which, clutch cables are a bitch on Vespa's, learn to ride clutchless in the event of a broken cable (it'll happen).. Failing a HD cable, lub regularly.

Other than that, mine has been a fun bike. I've had GSXR's, CBR's, older RD YPVS's (showing my age0 and everything in between and I have to say getting rid of my Vespa has broken my heart... I absolutely love them.

Finally, if you can then go for the PX200Disc.. Coming into the windy winter weather you'll really appreciate the increase in power.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭groom

Thanks for the reply.
    I am looking mostly at PX200. What does the 'Disc' part mean? Disc brake?

Just wondering as well how much maintenance and upkeep cost is generally required for a Vespa versus say a car.

I drive a '94 Golf with 130k+ and only spent €120 in 3 years just to pass the nct so that's what I'm gauging against but I'm realistic that a Vespa might need more upkeep.

What tends to go on them regularly? Wiring, brakes? What do things cost to get fixed / replaced. Just looking for general examples. I'm concerned because I'm looking at getting a private sale and I don't want to get burned. I know enough with cars to be view and buy a decent one but I'm a complete novice wrt Scooters/ bikes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,786 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

groom wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply.
    I am looking mostly at PX200. What does the 'Disc' part mean? Disc brake?

Just wondering as well how much maintenance and upkeep cost is generally required for a Vespa versus say a car.

I drive a '94 Golf with 130k+ and only spent €120 in 3 years just to pass the nct so that's what I'm gauging against but I'm realistic that a Vespa might need more upkeep.

What tends to go on them regularly? Wiring, brakes? What do things cost to get fixed / replaced. Just looking for general examples. I'm concerned because I'm looking at getting a private sale and I don't want to get burned. I know enough with cars to be view and buy a decent one but I'm a complete novice wrt Scooters/ bikes

As above, buy the best one you can, and buy the most standard one you can as well. Tuned motors need a lot of tlc, and don't last as long as std ones.

I have a complete bog-standard 1987 PX125, and the rust is the reason it's off the road at the mo.

Mechanically or electrically, I've never had any issues, but the caveat on this is: cables. They are fond of clutch cables, and gear cables sometimes. Lube them, and often. Carry a spare clutch inner cable and learn how to change it (5-10 mins when you get used to it !).

If you don't, the weakpoint in the gearbox is the selector. Keep cables well oiled and adjusted, and don't 'force' it into gear without engine running, and it'll be fine. Gearchanges are slow, and the cast iron motors are slow rev'ers, so stop riding it like a MotoGP bike and it'll last forever.

Because the rear wheel is so small, and does a fair few rpm's, they can munch rear tyres handy enough. But when it's the same as the front, and the spare, hey, just move them around ! :D Buy good ones, they're cheap anyway.

Lights are more for being seen, than seeing with, so bear that in mind as well........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement