Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Funded PhD student and tax allowances

Options
  • 06-09-2010 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I'm just starting my third year postgrad and have a question regarding tax allowances. I am currently receiving a tax free stipend about 12,000 a year. I also worked a little bit part/time. I was wondering if I can claim tax relief on medical expenses/rent? I have some PRSI contributions from part/time work but I am unsure if I am even recognised by the revenue as having an income as it is a tax free stipend? What have other people expereinced in a similar situation?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

Revenue don't really recognise it as income so it doesn't count as PRSI contributions. Unless you were working part time during the time you paid medical expenses you wont be able to get any tax back on it. You need to be working to get rent tax credit.
    I know its unfair that you earn less then most working people and yet they get a tax credit and you don't but that is life.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭mystique150

mohawk wrote: »
    Revenue don't really recognise it as income so it doesn't count as PRSI contributions. Unless you were working part time during the time you paid medical expenses you wont be able to get any tax back on it. You need to be working to get rent tax credit.
    I know its unfair that you earn less then most working people and yet they get a tax credit and you don't but that is life.

I thought as much but wasn't sure. I do work part time but I think I have to earn over 18,000 which I don't, so I guess thats me excluded.

Advertisement