Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

West Wicklow 100 this Sunday?

• 06-09-2010 3:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,069 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone doing the west wicklow 100 this sunday? just had an email about it but very little info on route etc. Email below

Hi All,
    With the summer tours reaching an end maybe you would like one more
    before the autumn and winter sets in. The IVCA West Wicklow takes
    place next Sunday September 12th.

Starting from the National Basketball Arena, just off the M50 at the
    Tallaght / Blessington roundabout, it is a 100Km spin out to Dunlavin
    where there will be a stop for tea / coffee and biscuits before returning
    to the Basketball arena.

Entry will be taken at the start and is 15.00 Euro. Proceeds from this
    event will go to Searching for the missing.

Searching for the Missing was set up in 2010 by a group of professionals
    with vast experience of Missing Persons.We are linked in with the Boyne
    Fishermen as a charitable organisation.We are a sub committee who deal
    directly with families,Gardai and search organisations.
    You can find information on searching for the missing on
    www.searchingforthemissing.net

TV3 are showing are showing a programme on Ireland's missing children
    on Wednesday at 10.00pm
    Regards,
    Admin

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I was thinking about it but I 'd like to know the route first, if anyone knows it, it would be appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,069 ✭✭✭✭neris

just got another email from them saying start is 9am at the basketball arena and more info during the week on www.wicklow200.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭Greyspoke

CramCycle wrote: »
    I was thinking about it but I 'd like to know the route first, if anyone knows it, it would be appreciated.
    If it's the same as when I did it a few years ago (and I'm sure it is), then it's roughly as follows:
    Out the Tallaght By-pass, Saggart, Rathcoole then follows small country road parallel to main Naas Road (Stiff little climb just after Rathcoole).
    After passing south of Naas you head down to Brannockstown and on to tea stop at Dunlavin. Route heads back to the main Blessington Road near Hollywood and follows it all the way back to Brittas and Tallaght.
    Pretty straightforward and not many hills. I also think it clocked less than 100k too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭xz

might give it a go then doesnt sound too difficult.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭trek climber

xz wrote: »

Plus the Breffni Wheelers have a spin on next Sunday, 125k around the drumlins in Cavan and the Lakeside Wheelers have their Into the West spin at weekend also - looks like a busy weekend all round, hope the weather improves !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭pprendeville

do you have to be a cycling ireland member to do this or a paid up member of a club? i'm neither yet.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

You have to be a member of IVCA / The Vets.

It's part of their Leisure Calender.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭jimm

Although it is part of the IVCA Leisure League, this event is open to all.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭OldPeculier

Thansk OP, I wasn't actually aware of it but I am certainly interested in the spin, if it is open to all

• Advertisement

just to clarify, if you're not a member of cycling ireland or any club etc you can still do the cycle?

just to clarify, if you're not a member of cycling ireland or any club etc you can still do the cycle?

You can, you just need to pay for a one day license AFAIK

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

jimm wrote: »
    Although it is part of the IVCA Leisure League, this event is open to all.

Thanks Jimm, I stand corrected. :)

Despite her general thanks that cycling stops me from ballooning uncontrollably, I have been politely informed, by my OH, that due to the Dying Sow next week, I will not be partaking in the West Wicklow tomorrow.

Enjoy the day tomorrow, look forward to a full report.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 aspender

Did this as my first organized event, and the first time I've been out with others. I was the guy in an HTC Columbia top on a Spesh Secteur. Only been cycling for just under two months. I made it round in 4 hours rolling. Went out with a group from the start and got dropped before Windmill Hill, which I then suffered up and spent most of the rest of the ride solo (which I expected would happen) I didn't make much effort to stay with any groups, and didn't find one at my pace (unsurprisingly.) Just wanted to ensure I got around it.

Weather was great, the folks running it were very nice as was everybody I spoke to. Had a great time despite being passed a lot :)

It's also given me more confidence for the Leinster Loop next weekend as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭buffalo

Cracking day - bit of a headwind on the way out, but the tailwind on the way back didn't seem to materialise. I was in a bunch with three Lucan lads for the way out, and for the second half of the way back, they set a good pace. I only chalked up 88km though - anyone got significantly more?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 aspender

buffalo wrote: »
    I only chalked up 88km though - anyone got significantly more?

My Garmin showed 89.14

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Liam Owens

Had a great 3hrs 5mins spin, Was dropped by the Orwell lads on the way out got into Dunlavin a couple of minutes after them, but on the way home had a brilliant run 4 or 5 of worked together and we ate up the miles dropped my pump at Jobstown, a car ran over it,I went back and got it I think its ok All in all a very enjoyable spin, Roll on the Leinster loop

• Registered Users Posts: 37 MWalljobs

I only chalked up 88km though - anyone got significantly more?

a group of Naas CC also showed 89 km. and 32.4 average. nice pace. back before noon. good day. 2 hours 44 min moving time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Zorba

Done this myself today twas a grand speed until a group including some Naas lads caught us and then it was hell for leather till the stop. Went by a Boardsie on a Boardman bike i think it was, shouted hello but don't think he heard me.

On the way back we had a nice pace going, then the Naas group caught us and again it was hell for leather, was an Orwell lad in the group wearing boards shorts who i tried to talk to but at the time the pace was too high to really talk, sorry whoever u are. Coming into the finish it just got stupid with people breaking red lights with oncoming cars so myself and a few other just rolled home. Finished in 3 hrs ish average speed was 32. something. Was a great day out though :) Oh and the distance was only 89 km.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭buffalo

That was me in the shorts. Had the same experience with Naas - they really pushed the pace up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Zorba

That was me in the shorts. Had the same experience with Naas - they really pushed the pace up!

Ah right sorry i couldn't catch your name.

Yeah them Naas lads really had some fire up their arses alright mind u they made the average speed look quite good.

did this also and got 2 punctures on the way back. arrived at 9 am thinking it wouldn't kick off on time. saw everyone leaving so was raging. anything like this coming up near Dublin again soon?

did this also and got 2 punctures on the way back. arrived at 9 am thinking it wouldn't kick off on time. saw everyone leaving so was raging. anything like this coming up near Dublin again soon?

The dying sparrow: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056018045&highlight=dying

maybe?

didnt get over to do this. had people over sat night and was out cycling sat morning. sounds like an enjoyable time was had.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭sheepfield

Zorba wrote: »
    Ah right sorry i couldn't catch your name.

Yeah them Naas lads really had some fire up their arses alright mind u they made the average speed look quite good.

Yeah, I was in that group of 15 with the other naas lads, looking not unlike the HTC Columbia train on their way back to Tallaght! Merged with another group at Blessington and rarely dipped below 40kmh for over an hour, great buzz, serious AT workout...!:eek:

Advertisement