Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

turbo trainers & bike24.com

• 06-09-2010 3:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭

I know it's early to be talking about these things, but I'm really busy in work, doing lots of travelling and feel like my kids have aged 10 years every time I see them so I want to do my training during the week after their bedtime instead of during it!

I've been having a search on the net and here but I'm still not sure what to get. I've ruled rollers out btw.

Tacx Satori looks good, but you don't seem to get any monitors with it, which kind of defeats the purpose for me. I looked at the Tacx Flow and bike24.com seems to have a massively lower price than the usual suspects. Anyone had any experience with these guys and does anyone want to throw any alternatives into the ring?

https://www.bike24.net/1.php?content=8;navigation=1;product=1788;backlink=9|2||1000,5,69||0|0|2|;ID=34f879c944533d4193ff751963d454c5

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭adodsk

Bought a Tacx Fortius off them last year - they were the cheapest at the time and may still be...

Great prompt service. I'd recommend them anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

Bought mine from them, they were cheapest by €80 if I remember also fast delivery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Beware the flow! The features are interesting and certainly useful, but it is not as "scientific" as it claims to be. It will record maximum and average values per session but you can't graph these against time like you can with other models.

I've been reading around and you can spend another few hundred euro to upgrade the head unit to a T1925 i-magic unit with fortius software. Unfortunately there are many problems reported on the tacx forums to do with wildly inaccurate power measurement (order of about 40W versus a PT) following this upgrade so it doesn't seem worthwhile. Apparently it's a problem to do with the software not being suitable for the flows electromagnetic brake, I think if you get a unit with a motor brake it works.

The unit is also quite sensitive and will require you calibrate it before every use following a 10 minute warm up. You can see here that the power measurement tracks reasonably well with an SRM but it's still not great.

As a relative measurement tool, i.e. last week I did 300W for 20 minutes, this week I kept it at 310W it's pretty good, but don't take the power outputs as gospel.

I hope to do my own tests in a few weeks if I can rent a powertap, but I think I would go for a Satori and train by HR.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

The power figures have no real world relevance but, they are useful providing you use the same tyre and check the preasure each time

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭dare2be

Ah feck

Just in time. I was heading off tomorrow to buy the flow. However with Dirks opinion on purchasing the Satori (saving approx £70) this has thrown me off now..

What to do? Anybody already have one of each that can help persuade me what to get?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Bought my turbo off them 3 or 4 years ago and it was there very fast by DHL. It was also the cheapest at the time..I recommend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

i ordered the satori off them last week and still awaiting it. shipment tracking shows it @60% complete. Im getting impatient!!

One other thing, the flow doesn't work with Garmin ANT+ heart rate straps. The HR icon flicks on and off, and when it was reporting HR mine was in the mid 200s. I ended up just using my garmin so it was fine, but if you have a garmin and you are still considering the flow, remember: power measurement is not that reliable and if you use a Garmin HR strap then you will have to use your garmin training, in which case getting the cheaper satori is probably just as good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Beware the flow! The features are interesting and certainly useful, but it is not as "scientific" as it claims to be. It will record maximum and average values per session but you can't graph these against time like you can with other models.

I've been reading around and you can spend another few hundred euro to upgrade the head unit to a T1925 i-magic unit with fortius software. Unfortunately there are many problems reported on the tacx forums to do with wildly inaccurate power measurement (order of about 40W versus a PT) following this upgrade so it doesn't seem worthwhile. Apparently it's a problem to do with the software not being suitable for the flows electromagnetic brake, I think if you get a unit with a motor brake it works.

The unit is also quite sensitive and will require you calibrate it before every use following a 10 minute warm up. You can see here that the power measurement tracks reasonably well with an SRM but it's still not great.

As a relative measurement tool, i.e. last week I did 300W for 20 minutes, this week I kept it at 310W it's pretty good, but don't take the power outputs as gospel.

I hope to do my own tests in a few weeks if I can rent a powertap, but I think I would go for a Satori and train by HR.

By and large Turbos are NOT power meters. They will not measure your power, but the will give you a repeatable number. I've had friends claiming they held 350watts for an hour but yet get dropped at 300 on a slight lump. They will - provided tyre pressure and other things are kept the same - be consistently wrong to the same degree so you can track improvements.

If you really want accurate power on a trainer either get a PT and a turbo or a CT.

That being said a Flow would be a fantastic investment and the power, will not accurate, is a great training aid. (Although I'm not embracing the whole ANT+ thing)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

A bit off track but I found it interesting to read in Nicholas Roches column today that he bought an SRM. Up to now all his training was HRM based. He's looking to get more scientific next season.

I assumed all Pro's trained off power rather than HR.

• Advertisement

tunney wrote: »
    If you really want accurate power on a trainer either get a PT and a turbo or a CT.

That being said a Flow would be a fantastic investment and the power, will not accurate, is a great training aid. (Although I'm not embracing the whole ANT+ thing)

Dumbass question alert - what is a PT and a CT? I assume PT is a power meter of some sort?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

pgibbo wrote: »
    Dumbass question alert - what is a PT and a CT? I assume PT is a power meter of some sort?

PT - Powertap
    CT - Computrainer

A bit off track but I found it interesting to read in Nicholas Roches column today that he bought an SRM. Up to now all his training was HRM based. He's looking to get more scientific next season.

I assumed all Pro's trained off power rather than HR.

depends on the style of the rider their coach (if any).

Very slow on the update in french, spanish and italian teams and riders. More popular in the Germanic and Anglo nations.

(Roche effectively being a frog)

mloc123 wrote: »
    PT - Powertap
    CT - Computrainer

Given the cost of the CT, I would assume that most people would go the PT + Trainer option. At least that way you can bring the PT out on the road with you.

Mind you, videos of routes, etc looks cool on the CT.

Given the cost of the CT, I would assume that most people would go the PT + Trainer option. At least that way you can bring the PT out on the road with you.

Mind you, videos of routes, etc looks cool on the CT.

I got a CT last year simply because I recognised that the majority of my riding was going to be in the shed for the foreseeable future.

By and large Turbos are NOT power meters. They will not measure your power, but the will give you a repeatable number. I've had friends claiming they held 350watts for an hour but yet get dropped at 300 on a slight lump. They will - provided tyre pressure and other things are kept the same - be consistently wrong to the same degree so you can track improvements.

I think I said more or less the same thing, no?

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    I think I said more or less the same thing, no?

Yip - was agreeing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭dare2be

So in summary, go with the flow then??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭vigos

I got a CT last year simply because I recognised that the majority of my riding was going to be in the shed for the foreseeable future.

Where did you buy the computrainer online or does anyone sell it Ireland?

vigos wrote: »
    Where did you buy the computrainer online or does anyone sell it Ireland?

Simon Ward from UK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭tridying

Really need advise I want to train with power over the winter, planning to alot 3-4 time a week indoors and a long ride at weekends.do I buy the tacx i magic/fortius, the computrainer or powertap. all have advantages/disadvantages worried about the accuracy on the tacx. computrainer is expensive to sit at home while I am doing an Ironman. and the power tap wont fit both ordinary wheel and disc or will it? SRM too expensive.:confused:

tridying wrote: »
    Really need advise I want to train with power over the winter, planning to alot 3-4 time a week indoors and a long ride at weekends.do I buy the tacx i magic/fortius, the computrainer or powertap. all have advantages/disadvantages worried about the accuracy on the tacx. computrainer is expensive to sit at home while I am doing an Ironman. and the power tap wont fit both ordinary wheel and disc or will it? SRM too expensive.:confused:

Cinqo?

Powertap built into a decent rim with a disc cover for racing on?

Power is an invaluable tool for IM pacing. Need something thats on the bike.

Depends on your budget really.

Advertisement