Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's very quiet

Options
  • 06-09-2010 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭

I just took up Kayaking last week and I was hoping there'd be a bit of traffic through here, it must be the rain and the rising water levels ;)

All the lads in my club and the ones who have been teaching me have hit Wicklow today, anyone else heading out?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Zuppy

Everyone is prob recovering from the Liffey party. :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

What club are you in???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

What club are you in???

Wild water down at the strawberry beds. Just joined. I'll be down there tomorrow for a bit of practice :D

yomchi wrote: »
    Wild water down at the strawberry beds. Just joined. I'll be down there tomorrow for a bit of practice :D

What type of paddling do you do???

Get into racing, its the best!!!

What type of paddling do you do???

Get into racing, its the best!!!

Well the lads I know do the white water stuff so that's where I'm heading for at the moment, I'm still trying to go straight without spinning around in circles :D Once I have that down I'll try the racing ;)

All joking aside it's an incredible adrenalin rush. I given up competing in my field of martial arts and do compensate I've taken up Kayaking and to be honest in some situations I've never been so scared in my life :eek:

Having good fun though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

Welcome to the wonderful world of kayaking Yomchi! Glad to hear you are having a good time. In time as your skills and experience increases you wont think twice about paddling the liffey so don't worry about the nerves right now. Wait until you start doing rivers like the Annamoe you will love it! :cool:

Truley wrote: »
    Welcome to the wonderful world of kayaking Yomchi! Glad to hear you are having a good time. In time as your skills and experience increases you wont think twice about paddling the liffey so don't worry about the nerves right now. Wait until you start doing rivers like the Annamoe you will love it! :cool:

Or the liffey descent in a racing boat!!! Great Craic!!!

I've heard about the Annamoe already, that lads headed down there last week I saw some video clips of it. I've also heard of some place called 'Jacksons' and by the sounds of it, it'll be ten years before I head there :o

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭adrianshanahan

rivers like the Annamoe you will love it! :cool:

AVONMORE..... Its the river Avonmore, Annamoe is a village which is beside the river Avonmore.

Ahhhhhh pet peve of mine, and welcome to paddling Yomchi, as a resource the boards.ie canoeing fourm is pretty new hence it can be quiet at times.

Check out www.irishwhitewater.com and www.irishfreestyle.com

Adrian

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

AVONMORE..... Its the river Avonmore, Annamoe is a village which is beside the river Avonmore.

Adrian

Yes I am aware of that, but since the section from Annamoe to Laragh is so widely known as the 'Annamoe' section of the Avonmore it's more specific and less confusing for most people to refer it by it's most commonly used name. Just like I could always refer to Polnamurrish by it's correct name though it's recognised by most as 'Jacksons.'
    yomchi wrote: »
    I've heard about the Annamoe already, that lads headed down there last week I saw some video clips of it. I've also heard of some place called 'Jacksons' and by the sounds of it, it'll be ten years before I head there redface.gif

No way, give it a year of solid paddling practice and you will be heading down it. The run up to it is great for beginners/intermediates.

• Advertisement

Super stuff, thanks for all the tips and advice lads. I'll post in the "where did you paddle today" thread from time to time, might be useful to log progression :)

Advertisement