Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wetsuit query

Options
  • 06-09-2010 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

Hi, am a beginner surfer, got a new 5m wetsuit a couple months ago, fitted very well at first, last couple of times i've been surfing, can feel water running down my back and arms, is this normal...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭echosound

There'll be a little bit of stretch with any wetsuit, but they should still fit very snugly and keep you warm. How much water is coming in? Is it just a few dribbles now and then up the arms if you're pushing out through waves/whitewater, or is it pouring in?

If it's pouring down your back and arms that's not going to be much use to you for the winter as you'll constantly have freezing water gushing into the suit. Do you mind me asking what kind of wetsuit you bought - if it's a cheaper one, they can stretch like no-ones business and won't be worth using after a few short months.
    I bought a cheapo 3mm suit to do me for the summer last year and after two months of using it, I might as well not have been wearing anything more than a swimsuit TBH. Cuffs stretched out unmercifully, and the neck ended up gaping. Was glad to get into my decent hooded 5/6 suit for the winter again!

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭CRenegade

Hey, there will be a little bit of seepage in wetsuits, I think the way they work is they let a small bit of water in, your body heats this water up and keeps you warm but as the last poster said this wont work if the wetsuit is constantly letting in cold water.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,907 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Also, are you cleaning the suit after use or just letting it air dry. Its best to clean them down with fresh water to removed the salt water. The salt water can bring about early damage to the suit and further stress the materials.

I dip mine in a large bucket with some cleaning solution after each use and allow it air dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭hollysf

Hi thanks for that, its a Billabong 5m, yep have been xleaning with fresh water after every use, was getting pretty cold the last day I was surfing (attempting to surf) also had some sand on my arms after..

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭loctite

When did you first use the suit...... It may be that the water was always leaking in but maybe changes in water temp are maybe showing how much water is coming in and out of your suit.

What is the model of the suit? Just cause its a Billabong doesn't mean that it is a good suit. All suit manufacturers bring out bottom of the line ranges and generally these have neck, wrist seals and seams which are really not suitable to Irish Winters........

It could also be that the suit might not be the correct size for you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭hollysf

Thanks for all that, yea the next size up was too big, seemed to fit very weel in the shop, anyways, no good to me the way it is, have to go shopping again..

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭AnonymousPrime

What make is it too. Cheap suits (especially cheap 5mm) are not always great

Advertisement