Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ISP DSL modems?

• 06-09-2010 4:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭

What brands of modems do the ISPs offer now? Contract up on my existing and looking to change ISP.

What modems does UTV / Eircom / Vodafone / Perlico (all bitstream since I can't get cable).

Are they wireless n?

Cheers,
    X

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭KennyLegend

Eircom provide the motorola netopia, smart have the aolynk. Not too sure about the others. Generally speaking the standard modems provided are not great and are "g" standard. I would recommend replacing the standard modem/router with a better one from netgear, lynksys etc if u intend giving it heavy use or if u have "n" hardware.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

Eircom now offer a Zyxel router while Smart's is a Thomson SpeedTouch (crap by all accounts)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

I'd be inclined to buy my own modem....ISP's tend to be the cheapest they can acquire.

You'll find it hard to do better than a Netgear D834....any model thereof.

If you're having trouble maintaining a connection (distance from exchange or noisy line), it's probably your best chance.

E.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 475 ✭✭jspuds

I cannot recommend enough the Draytek 2710n http://www.misco.ie/Product/127955/Draytek_Vigor_2710N_Wireless_SoHo_ADSL2_2plus_Router

I have been using this for a few months with both Eircom ADSL and ADSL2 and have found it to be rock solid and the firmware is developing with some interesting features.

Previously I have tried a few different modems, Netgear D834n, the Eircom green and silver Netopia's and the Zyxel but none are a patch on the Draytek.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Xcellor

So are all the ISPs only offering routers with wireless G , none doing the draft - N?

You mean I might actually have to buy one :O

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭KennyLegend

As exaisle said above...ISP's tend to send out budget routers. I very much doubt you'd get an n standard from any of them.

I would buy my own!
    My netgear dgn2000 will probably be for sale as of tomoro cause I'm getting UPC. It's 2wks old !!!
    Pm me if u want more info.

Advertisement