Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Build €850, mobo question

Options
  • 06-09-2010 4:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi everyone!
    Like a lot of others I have decided to start a build with a budget of around €850. I enjoy gaming, but wouldn't consider myself a hardcore gamer. Similar to CombatCow’s thread I have been out of the hardware loop and would need some valued advice. Don’t need a monitor or speakers, so this is what I’ve come up with so far:
    pricelist.png

A major thing I’m wondering about is a mobo. There’s some great advice on mobos in CombatCow’s thread and I was looking at these 3;

Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3

MSI P55-GD65, Intel P55, ATX, DDR3

MSI P55A-GD65, Intel P55, ATX, DDR3

Would probably aim for the Gigabyte as it has USB 3.0 but according to this review lacks support for that Intel Turbo Boost, which is (according to the marketing specs) a main feature of the Core i5. Would this be a hindrance at all?
    Would like to bring down the cost a bit if possible so I appreciate any comments or recommendations.
    Thanks,
    Al.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

whatahw wrote: »
    Would probably aim for the Gigabyte as it has USB 3.0 but according to this review lacks support for that Intel Turbo Boost, which is (according to the marketing specs) a main feature of the Core i5. Would this be a hindrance at all?
    I and thousands of others have that mobo and I have never heard nor experienced it not supporting Turbo Boost.

That GTX460 is on the expensive-side, is it pre-overclocked or something? You could probably save a few €'s on the RAM.

Edit: Had a glance at that article and found the offending paragraph:
    That's only when you're talking about overclocking prowess, though. On this lower-end board, the much-vaunted Turbo mode refused to make an appearance in multi-threaded apps. In single-threaded programs it offered us an extra 400MHz, but that dropped to absolutely nothing when we loaded up four cores.

To put it simply, this is exactly how Turbo Boost is supposed to work and TechRadar has now lost all it's credibility with me. Shame on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 whatahw

Yeah, looking at it closer now, that ASUS GTX460 DirectCU TOP is now changed to €236.85 compared to the ASUS ENGTX460 DirectCU/2DI/1GD5 which is €222. The only difference I can see in the specs is the clock speed 675 MHz compared to 775 MHz.

So if I got this right, that means it's pre-overclocked then? That can be done manually once built right?

Also, I’ll stick with the Gigabyte mobo so. Seems to have everything I would require and not too bad a price. Will have a look around for some cheaper RAM as well.

Thanks for the insight Unregistered.!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 sparkymarko69

I have a p55-ud3 momo and works a treat overclocked at 3.7GHz :)
    well recommend :P

Advertisement