Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Tale of Two Halfs :)

Options
  • 06-09-2010 4:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭

So I have been threatening to start my own training log for some time, and feel that now is a good time to start!

For those of you who are interested(!) and arent regulars in the "Half Marathon Support Thread", here is a synopsis of my short "running" (I say running lightly, as I am still very slow!) history to date:

I suppose it all started when I gave up smoking in February. I was anxious I would put on weight, and needed something to get my mind of the smokes in the evenings. I decided to set a target for myself and started running in March 2010 in preparation for the Dublin Womens Mini Marathon in June 2010 and havent stopped since! ( I think my OH is as surprised as I am that I have lasted this long! Although never overweight, I have never been particularly athletic, and never thought Id be able to run a mile, let alone anything further!)

I completed the 10km Mini Marathon butmy time was pretty lousy - 1hr 20 mins. But I was happy to have completed my first event running.

I needed a new goal, so I signed myself up (rather dubiously) to a half marathon on 29th August and began my training following the Hal Higdon Half Marathon Novice Plan. My progress was not without its ups and downs, I started the 12 week plan late, I caught a chest infection (2 weeks out), and my son was sick (another week out) but I finished my first half in Galway 2 weeks ago.

However, I was no where near happy with my time and really struggled during the 11th and 12th miles. I finally finished in a very poor 2 hours and 47 minutes, and quickly went from being elated at finishing my first half, to being very disappointed at my time.

So here I am, back to punish myself a little further!!

I have decided to register for the Waterford Half Marathon in December, which leaves me approx 12 weeks to train, with an overall aim of finishing in a target time of approx 2 hours 10. This will be a tough task for me, and I am aware that knocking 37 minutes off my previous time will be tough, but I want to end the year feeling proud of myself!!

I am going to be following the Hal Higeon Intermediate Plan and will hopefully fit in a couple of 10k runs between now and then.

I would appreciate a little advice on the pace training though. It says 5 x 400 at 5-K pace, but this isnt really viable given that I dont train on track. Does anyone have any alternative pace/speed training for me, keeping in mind that I have never done speed training before?

I am hoping that this log will keep me focused, and create the right amount of guilt to get me off my ass once the crap Autumn weather really sets in! Any advice would be greatly appreciated along the way!

So here goes......... My journey to my 2nd Half begin! :eek:

Apologies for the long post!!

Hal Higdon Intermediate Half Marathon Training Program

Week 1

Monday: Stretch & Strenghten
    Tuesday: 2: 3m run
    Wednesday: 5 x 400 (5K pace)
    Thursday: 3m run + strength
    Friday: Rest
    Saturday: 3m run
    Sun: 5m run

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Welcome to the logs! :)

As a substitute for doing the 400s on a track, you could make the classic culchie substitution of doing laps of a GAA pitch if there's one close to home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭yungwan

Welcome to the logs! :)

As a substitute for doing the 400s on a track, you could make the classic culchie substitution of doing laps of a GAA pitch if there's one close to home.

Thanks Rainbow kirby!

How many metres is the parameter of a GAA pitch do ya know?! :D

I am afraid I am setting myself up for a fall before I even start!! :o

Ok so I did some stretches last night and unfortunately i think I will have to take another week off before I start as my knee is still not 100% and if I want to increase pace I think it would be wise to wait until its back to normal.

I got annoyed at myself last night as I wanted to start this week, but i know I have to be sensible to avoid further injury. Also it means I might avoid this bloody rain!

So watch this space for next week! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

yungwan wrote: »
    How many metres is the parameter of a GAA pitch do ya know?! :D
    130-145m long, 80-90m wide - parameter would be 420-470m depending on whether the pitch is towards the lower or upper end of the allowable size. Close enough for the purpose of doing intervals anyway.

Don't forget too that the other runs should be easy runs, it's just the speedwork day where you're pushing the pace a bit.

Here goes!

My knee is feeling much better and I am (I think!) ready to start my journey to my 2nd half!

W1D1: Stretch and Strength

I am going to do some running specific strengthening exercises tonight myself at home. (2 x reps - approx 30 minutes)

Then tommorrow evening will be 3 miles. Aiming for 30 minutes.

W1 D2: 3 miles

3 miles done - delighted with my time:

It wasnt 100% comfortable, more race pace but I want to push myself a little for better times.

Anyway, speed work tommorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Nice time there yungwan!

Athenry 10k on 26th december might be a nice secondary target for you. you'd smash that 10k pb!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Great to see you starting a log and good luck with your training for Waterford. Hope to see you there :)

littlebug wrote: »
    Nice time there yungwan!

Athenry 10k on 26th december might be a nice secondary target for you. you'd smash that 10k pb!

Thanks Littlebug! Nothing like a poor personal performance in a race to get you motivated to go faster!

Yeah I would love to get a sub 60 for my 10k before the end of the year.
    But Stephens Day?? I dunno if Ill manage that! All the 10ks are drying up at this stage though arent they? Ill see if I can find anything in November or end of Oct, that might suit better.
    shazkea wrote: »
    Great to see you starting a log and good luck with your training for Waterford. Hope to see you there :)

Thanks shazkea... Ive just entered online!! :eek:
    Hopefully I get there!! :D

W1D3

Aim: Speed Training
    5 x 3 minutes @ tempo pace with 60 second recovery between each rep.

Actual:

10 minute easy jog followed by 2 x 3 minutes.

A bloody disaster, and man is speed training tough :(

Basically heavy thundery showers started and my OH decided to come rescue me.. which was really nice to fair, but I am now very disappointed that I didnt complete it.

Did about 3 miles in total including the warmup.

Just going to forget about it for this week.

I am following Hal loosely as I dont want to fall into the trap of feeling too rigid (i.e. I HAVE to train today) like I did with my previous training.

Rest day tomorrow and 3 miles on Friday.

If anyone can suggest an alternative speed training structure Id appreciate the input. I dont have a garmin and I dont live near a track or GAA pitch so they are kind of out. I am following some plan I found (as seen above)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Thanks shazkea... Ive just entered online!! :eek:
    Hopefully I get there!! :D

Excellent that's great. I'm not as brave yet - waiting to get go ahead to get back running 3 days a week and then I will!! How's your knee?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

If anyone can suggest an alternative speed training structure Id appreciate the input. I dont have a garmin and I dont live near a track or GAA pitch so they are kind of out. I am following some plan I found (as seen above)

If you have a nice flat park (grass is better if you can) or failing that, a cycle track, then all you need is a rough estimate of 400 mt.
    How long does it generally take you to run a mile? Then 400mt is a quarter of that. Mark it out. Then try to run that stretch at a faster pace for your intervals.

I use the local park. There's a stretch past the 4 pitches that is roughly 400 mt. Run up, then jog for a bit, turn and run back. 2 intervals done... easy :rolleyes:(not!)

Another way to get the fast runs in is to use the fartlek method instead of/ as well as measured intervals.

Either way, enjoy! :D And welcome to the training logs.

W1 D4 - Rest Day :D

W1 D5 - Aim: 3 miles

Result - 3 miles in 26.41 :eek:

Average pace 8.8 mpm!!

Delighted!

Also, I decided I am going to invest in a Garmin 305 once and for all.
    It will be an investment I reckon, Im managing without it, but it would be nice to know my pace pm, be more accurate for distance and will be handy for my speed work.

I will order it next week when I get paid. Best price Ive seen is €165 on pixmania.ie which I figure is good enough value!

Cant wait!

LSR of 5 miles tomorrow or Sunday.

W1 D6 - Rest

W1 D7 Aim: 5 miles LSR

Result: 5 miles in 61 mins.

Very slow (average 12.2mm) but its still alot faster than any other 5 miler Ive done.

I really enjoyed this run, as it was a lovely cool evening, but it got dark quickly and I started off too slowly. I want to decrease my time on this so I will have to push myself a little more.

Anyways, not bad after a feed of beer last night!

Week one done!

Week 1 miles: 14
    Total miles: 14

Week 2 Plan

D1: Stretch & Strengthen
    D2: 3 mile run
    D3: 30 min tempo
    D4: Rest
    D5: 3 mile run & strength
    D6: Rest
    D7: 6 mile run

Garmin 305 ORDERED!!
    Super excited but also feel a little guilty as it was quite a spend to be fair. (€177 altogether incl. VAT and delivery Pixmania.ie)
    Hopefully its worth it though :)
    Should have it in time for my wednesday temp run!!

W2 D1 - Stretch & Strengthen (done this yesterday @ work as I felt sh1te Monday)

W2 D2 Aim: 3 miles easy

Result: 3 miles - 28.56.

Average pace: 9.5mm

Felt fairly comfortable and it was a beautiful evening in MidWest. Sunny, dry and fairly warm. Didnt want to push myself too much as I have a 30 min tempo run this evening. How fast is tempo? Race pace?

According to my order track my Garmin arrived in Dublin this morning at 7am :D Hurry up and get here!!

Slight changes in my plan this week.

W2D3 - Rest Day

W2D4 - Aim: 30 minute Tempo run

Result: 30 minutes tempo run

I broke it down as follows:

10 minute warm up (at approx 12 min/mile)

15 minutes temp @ 10km pace (My pace varied on this with my best pace being 8.30 m/mile and highest HR being 94%. However I think the average was only 12 m/mile as the hills really slowed me down)

5 minutes cool down (average 11.2 m/mile)

Total distance covered 3.2 miles.

Obviously my Garmin arrived!! I love it, its a fantastic piece of technology. However it really forces you to be honest!! And I was a little optimistic setting my advanced programme goal paces and it kept beeping at me to "Speed up" and I was like WTF this is the fastest I can go!! :D

Anyway it wasnt my best workout, I just couldnt speed up, but I am looking forward to seeing how I get on this evening on a run of 3 miles.

W1 D4 - Rest Day :D

W1 D5 - Aim: 3 miles

Result - 3 miles in ???

Also, I decided I am going to invest in a Garmin 305 once and for all.
    It will be an investment I reckon, Im managing without it, but it would be nice to know my pace pm, be more accurate for distance and will be handy for my speed work.

I will order it next week when I get paid. Best price Ive seen is €165 on pixmania.ie which I figure is good enough value!

LSR of 5 miles tomorrow or Sunday.

EDIT: Said Garmin made me realise the above route is not actually 3 miles but 2!! :mad: I was wondering how I had got so fast but I didnt question it!! anyway, Im not this fast after all!! So I have delieted my times accordingly. Oh well.
    Cant wait!

Aim: 3 mile run

Result: 3 mile easy

Time: 34:59

Average pace: 11.41 per mile

Average HR: 89%

Mile 1: 11.07

Mile 2: 11.15

Mile 3: 12.37

Not great. Last week I found it very hard to run for some reason. Tired legs and stiff calves.

W2D6 Rest day

W2D7: Sorry Hal.... I was hungover yesterday so I never did my LSR. Oops.... Was going to try to do it today but the weather is horrendous out there. :(

So it will have to do..... the night out was worth it anyway!!

Hopefully this week will be better. No plans to go out for a few weeks again so Ill be a good girl!

Week 2 miles: 9
    Total miles: 23

Monday Stretch& Strengthen
    Tuesday 3.5 mile run
    Wednesday 6 x 400 5k pace
    Thursday 3 mile & Strenght
    Friday Rest
    Saturday Rest
    Sunday 5K Race

Doubt there is any 5K local, so I will just do my 6 miles LSR this Sunday instead if I dont find anything. Hopefully this weather picks up abit this week or Ill be doomed!

Bought new running tights in Heatons for €18 at the weekend. They lovely and comfortable and I am sure they will be lovely to run in.

Happy running!

Not sure where you are yungwan except somewhere in the west. There's a 4 mile in Ballina next Sunday http://www.mayoac.com/?p=666 and a 6k in Tarmonberry, Roscommon http://www.athenryac.com/tarmonbarry-half-marathon-6km-fun-run Maybe both too far from you?

• Advertisement

littlebug wrote: »
    Not sure where you are yungwan except somewhere in the west. There's a 4 mile in Ballina next Sunday http://www.mayoac.com/?p=666 and a 6k in Tarmonberry, Roscommon http://www.athenryac.com/tarmonbarry-half-marathon-6km-fun-run Maybe both too far from you?

Wow thanks Littlebug. Tarmonbarry would actually be do-able. Ill see how I get on this week and whether I have any other plans on. Would probably be a small crowd too. I wonder is it registration on the day? You going to do it?

. I wonder is it registration on the day? You going to do it?

No I just happened to spot it on the Athenry website. I have to stick to the plan now. No more races til 25th:eek:! I'm sure if you give them a buzz they'll let you know about registration etc. The smaller races usually have reg on the day. I'd say it'll be a nice small race... with walkers :D That always helps!

Monday: Rest Day

Tuesday: Aim: 3.5 miles easy

Result: 3.5 miles easy @ average 12.37/mile

Mile1: 12.06

Mile 2: 12.09

Mile 3: 13.12

1/2 mile: 6.52

Having problems with stiff calves. Had to stop and stretch them after every mile! Getting disheartened again at my lack of speed. Ill never be an elite runner anyway :( I was happier when I thought I was faster!!

Speed training Thursday as the OH getting pee'd off with having to man the ship while I run!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Hi

Doing Hill work will give you the leg strength to allow you to go faster.

Add hills to your slow long runs

I would replace the speed work for the first half of the training plan to uphill sprints.

Get a hill (not too steep) that takes you ~ 1:30 to climb. Go as fast as you can up it with high knees, race pace down, fast up without the high knees and recover slow down. This counts as 2 intervals. Repeat for the same number of 400M in the plan. If you have 6*400M then to 3 Reps, for uneven reps add an extra recovery on the downhill.

This is very tough but well worth the effort.

Just my 2c

ger664 wrote: »
    Hi

Doing Hill work will give you the leg strength to allow you to go faster.

Add hills to your slow long runs

I would replace the speed work for the first half of the training plan to uphill sprints.

Get a hill (not too steep) that takes you ~ 1:30 to climb. Go as fast as you can up it with high knees, race pace down, fast up without the high knees and recover slow down. This counts as 2 intervals. Repeat for the same number of 400M in the plan. If you have 6*400M then to 3 Reps, for uneven reps add an extra recovery on the downhill.

This is very tough but well worth the effort.

Just my 2c

Thanks very much ger, I appreciate that.

I will do your recommended hill sprints this evening or tomorrow.... whenever I can get out of the house! :rolleyes: I will see how I get on anyway.

Aim: 3 reps of hill training, as recommended above.

Result: Hill training - 3 x reps of the following:
    • Fast up-hill with high knees
    • Race pace down hill
    • Fast run up hill
    • Recovery run down hill
    Also included was 10 minute warm up and cool down.

Total distance covered: 3.15 miles
    Fastest mile: 6.59/mile

Very tough, but Im glad I tried it and I think it is the best way to improve my muscles for speed. Going to include it more often.

Followed it up with some stretches and some planks and side planks.

3 Miles tomorrow.

Aim: 3 miles

Result: 3 miles - 35.42

Average pace: 11.48/mile

Mile 1: 11.11/mile

Mile 2: 11.44/m

Mile 3: 12.28/m

6 mile LSR on Sunday.

Time for wine :D

Week 3 - Sunday

Aim: 6 miles LSR

Result 6 miles LSR

It has been a while since I ran 6 miles and I was kind of hoping Id do it close to 60 minutes... but of course I didnt. :rolleyes:

Mile 1: 14.15/mile
    Mile 2: 14.34/mile
    Mile 3: 12.52/mile
    Mile 4: 11.56/m
    Mile 5: 12.15/m
    Mile 6: 11.32/m

Started off a little slow I guess, but I did it none the less. 1:17:24

Week 2 miles: 15.5
    Total miles: 38.5

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

It has been a while since I ran 6 miles and I was kind of hoping Id do it close to 60 minutes... but of course I didnt. :rolleyes:

Don't worry about the speed just yet... it'll come! It took me about 2 years to break the 60min 10K, but I got there eventually.
    ...hopefully you'll get there quicker :D

What helped me was diligently following the plan. I was plodding along for ages with no direction, so when I actually got a plan and followed it, the difference was no less than amazing. You already have the plan so you're halfway there!? ;)

Congrats on the LSR.

• Advertisement

Emer911 wrote: »
    Don't worry about the speed just yet... it'll come! It took me about 2 years to break the 60min 10K, but I got there eventually.

Yeah I know it will come eventually, I just get so fed up sometimes as everyone tells me I will get quicker in time but im the exact same time wise as in June!

Yeah Ill just keep plodding along..... I always tend to follow a plan and have something to aim for, or Id never do anything!

Thanks for the encouragement anyway.... some day I might improve from a 12.30/mile average :rolleyes:

Advertisement