Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Tale of Two Halfs :)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭yungwan

Emer911 wrote: »
    There's varying opinions on the differences in treadmill and outdoor running, but most agree that the treadmill does take less effort - for a variety of reasons. Increasing the incline is generally agreed as the way to go to try to attempt to resemble road running.
    I think the varying surfaces and elevations are the key differences, but you have to factor in the elements too. Also, the treadmill dictates the pace and when you run outdoor you need to manage your own pace, so that takes energy too - and concentration!!
    But if outdoors isn't an option, then they're better than not running?!

Thanks Emer! You will soon have to start charging me for this advice!!

Yes its true, I would far prefer the outdoor running too, but it isnt possible at the moment, so the treadmill will have to suffice for my midweek runs. I do plan on doing my LSRs on road at weekends, so I will still be getting about 50% of my training on road.

Also, the better times on tread might give me confidence?! (even if a little untrue!)

As you say though, treadmill is better than no running!

Ill see how I go, and Ill continue to crank up the incline in the meantime! :D

Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

Hi Yungwan well done on that great time tonight. My brother says incline of two is about standard for people who need to use the threadmill to get some running in when they cant use the road. Or maybe you could vary it a bit. It might make it a bit more interesting for you.

dolliemix wrote: »
    Hi Yungwan well done on that great time tonight. My brother says incline of two is about standard for people who need to use the threadmill to get some running in when they cant use the road. Or maybe you could vary it a bit. It might make it a bit more interesting for you.

Thanks Dolliemix. Yeah I can definately feel the run in my legs today, so it mustn't have been too easy! I think I will vary the inclines alright, to try to simulate hills etc.

You know I think the treadmill will introduce a variety for me, which I think will motivate me a little bit more. I have fairly limited routes around me (particularly for long runs, which I always tend to do out and back runs on) and even thoough I vary them, I am becoming a little bored with them, and think it was contributing to my unmotivation.

Hopefully the variety in my training will keep me going for another while.

Rest day this evening - TV and fire... bliss!

P.S the OH told me yesterday he is only prepared to do all the housework twice a week so this will limit my training during week. (As in look after my son and put on the dinner etc). Unless I get in a session on Fridays (I get home slightly earlier) I might only fit in two sessions midweek, and the ould intervals might have to go out the window. (I shall remember this when GAA sesason begins again :(

Aim: 3 miles & strength

Result: 3 miles on treadmill + 10 minutes on cross trainer. Run time: 29:47

Summary:

Mile
    1: 10:27
    2: 10.01
    3: 09:18

Incline: 2 miles @2
    1 mile @ 3

Nice run. Although I am already getting what ye mean about wanting the fresh air of the road. You dont feel as refreshed as you would after an outside run. I will look forward to my 10 mile LSR this weekend in the air.

:D

Aim: 10 miles LSR

Result: 10 mile LSR in Lough Key Forest Park. 2:19:23

Phew where to start.....

It was a beautiful morning and I felt in need of a new route to keep me motivated, so I decided on the lovely Forest Park, which is a beautiful forested estate centred around a lake, close to where I live.

I didnt have an exact route set out, but as I had my Garmin I figured Id just take it as it came and build up to my 10 miles - not the best plan.

While the surroundings were beautiful, I didnt enjoy this run, AT ALL.

The first 5 miles of the route was basically trail rather than road, and alot of it was wet, muddy and sloppy, not to mention hilly. I struggled, and after about 2/3 miles my right hip was hurting. It started in the front top area (where my leg meets my hip kinda thing) and gradually spread to the outside of my leg. It was pretty much there throughout.

Finally got the 5 miles done and had at this stage got back to my car. I decided to run out towards the road (hoping it would be a 2.5 out and back) but it was only 1.5 miles, so I had to take to the hard shoulder of the main Sligo/Dublin road, which was a welcome change in surface, but my this point I was realllly struggling. Hip was sore and despite eating several jellys along the way I felt sapped in energy. It was all too reminicent of my first half marathon, and I almost quit and walked. But I didnt.

Finally dragged myself back to my car and completed the 10 miles, but it was agony, demoralising and way too slow.

Im not too sure where this leaves me. I dont understand why this is happening to me. Today felt like ****, and I am afraid I am never going to improve. (BTW I am well on track to NOT beating my rather lame first time)

So I am unsure if I will do the Waterford half or not. Will decide in the next week or two. Also worried about my hip, but hopefully it will improve.

Anyway my times for today:

Mile:

1: 12:01
    2: 14:03 (Hill!)
    3: 14:14
    4: 14:09
    5: 13:56
    6: 13:47
    7: 13:58
    8: 14:00
    9: 13:43
    10: 15:28

Average pace: 13:57

Week 7 miles: 17.5
    Total miles: 96.5 miles

• Advertisement

Monday: Rest
    Tuesday: 4.5 miles (Race pace)
    Wednesday: Rest
    Thursday: 3 mile & Strength
    Friday & Saturday: Rest
    Sunday: 11 miles

Week 8

Tuesday: Aim: 4.5 miles

Result: 4.5 miles on treadmill 40:59

Man I wish tread miles times could translate to road...

(Although I have just noticed this time is almost 7 minutes faster than last weeks, so thats something I guess...)

Mile

1: 09.56
    2: 09:10
    3: 09:08
    4: 08:37
    0.5: 04:06

Average pace 9:11
    Incline 2%

Edit: On the hip - felt alot better today thank god. Felt a slight niggle at one point as I upped the pace, but I slowed down a bit and it stopped again. Hopefully the road running wont mean it will resurface.

I am a week ahead of my schedule anyway, so if the hip doesnt hold out for an 11 mile LSR at the weekend it wont be the end of the world.

Your ten miler sounds horrendous. Congrats on completing it! That hard work will surely pay off.

Glad to see you were happy with your run this evening. Great time!!! You deserved an easier run :)

Aim: 3 miles & Strength

Result: 3 miles on threadmill, & 15 mins on cross trainer.

Run Time: 26:10

Laps:

1: 09:29
    2: 08:27
    3: 08:14

Pushed it tonight and enjoyed it.

Hoping I will get my 11 miles in on Sunday am.
    I have a busy day planned so hopefully I fit it in.

Ive lost 4 pounds apparently! But the scales was probably wrong knowing my luck!! But if its true I credit it will giving up booze for Nov, the wine is a killer for the belly imo!

Very fast on those laps. Looks like something has clicked!! Good for you :)

Good luck with 11miler tomorrow

• Advertisement

Oh Hail Hal, messiah of running glory..... please forgive me, as I did not do my LSR this week!

Oops!!

If I am honest, I knew I wasnt going to have time to do it this weekend, and it kind of suited me. I have felt run down and crap all week (you know that feeling where you just always feel tired, no matter how much you sleep?) Well that was me all week. So I was happy enough to take a (large) step back week. ;)

Anyway, I wont go on with excuses, I didnt have time to do my LSR and I am not going to beat myself up about it. As mentioned above, I am ahead of my Hal Plan by one week anyway, so it wont make any difference in the long run. (PUN-tastic!)

Plus I am not sure I am going to actually do Waterford at all, so I as well to enjoy it too, no? :rolleyes:

dolliemix wrote: »
    Very fast on those laps. Looks like something has clicked!! Good for you :)

Good luck with 11miler tomorrow

Hi Dolliemix

Well done on your 10 miler! You have caught up with me now! :D I was very bold at the weekend, but it hey, it happens.

I dont know about the tread laps, they dont translate to road times, so they still arent great to be honest. But thanks for that anyway!

Another week ahead!

My plan this week is:

Tuesday: 5 miles tread
    Thursday: 3 mile & Strength
    Sunday: 11 miles (I will do this!:p)

How is this race only 3 weeks away this weekend?! WTF!?

Where is time going?! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

yungwan wrote: »
    How is this race only 3 weeks away this weekend?! WTF!?

Where is time going?! :pac:

My sentiments exactly!! Yikes! Good luck this week! :)

Tuesday - Week 9

Aim: 5 miles

Result: 5 miles on road

I was off today so I thought Id save myself €8 and get in my 5 miles this morning while my son was in school. (Even though my bed was calling me back into it!!)

Pushed myself today over a mostly flat course, mixed feelings on times as I pushed myself over the last 3 miles but I had to stop twice as I was exhausted. Still, if it doesnt kill it will make me stronger, right...right??! lol

1: 11:24
    2: 11:27
    3: 11:59
    4: 10:37
    5: 10:59

Time: 56:31

Avg pace: 11:18

Improvements are coming slowly. If I could just get my average pace down a minute and a quarter Id be happy. I dont think I will manage it before Waterford though, and thats my aim really, as anything less is not worth the effort in my opinion. Still to decide.

Thursday - Week 9

Aim: 3 miles plus strength

Result: 3 miles on thread, plus 15 minutes on cross trainer (hills).
    (0.5 miles cool down on thread, not incl. in time)

Laps

1. 09:11
    2. 08:14
    3. 07:52

Total: 25:49

Incline @ 2

Good session again on thread.
    Good sweaty fun :cool:

If nothing else I will be in good shape for Xmas. Feeling toned and fit (and dare I say fairly happy with my shape at present :eek:)

I wont feel so guilty about all the eating over festivities if I manage to keep the healthy eating, no drinking and exercise up.

Plan to do 11 miles Sunday please God.
    Will be doing it on main road in hard shoulder, no trail like sessions for me this time! Fingers crossed the hip holds up over LSR.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭runrabbit

Laps

1. 09:11
    2. 08:14
    3. 07:52

Wow you are seriously getting fast - I never see the lower half of 8:xx on my watch much less sub 8-minute miles! I find the treadmill tough going, harder than the roads. So well done you - you are doing great! Good luck in the 11-miler!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Well done, you're doing great! Keep it up! :)

runrabbit wrote: »
    Wow you are seriously getting fast - I never see the lower half of 8:xx on my watch much less sub 8-minute miles! I find the treadmill tough going, harder than the roads. So well done you - you are doing great! Good luck in the 11-miler!

Thanks runrabbit. :D

Hmmm Im not sure on the "fast" part though. I find the tread much easier and always add at least 2 mins to my times in my head to compare them to my road times. So realistically these times arent really that fast.

BUT, I am (finally) seeing some improvements in my times, which is good.

I could be less happy after my 11 miler on Sunday though, we will see!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Go out and enjoy it regardless of the time. You’re running is going great these days – good work! And it’s great to see a bit of body image positivity! :) If I could give up the booze, I’d probably feel the same… Unfortunately the Christmas season appears to have already started! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭maria74

Good luck with 11 miles!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Hmmm Im not sure on the "fast" part though. I find the tread much easier and always add at least 2 mins to my times in my head to compare them to my road times. So realistically these times arent really that fast.

Next outdoor run. Start the watch at your gate and leave it there, stop it when you get home and see if that makes a difference to your times !!

Aim: 11 mile LSR

Result: 11 miles 2:11:30

Phew I got there, eventually!

I suffered what I am now refering affectionately to as the "First 3 mile depression" pretty badly. (I stopped twice and considered quitting :rolleyes:) but once I got into it I was fine from about mile 4 until mile 9, when I struggled for the last two miles (Stupid hills). I felt alot stronger today than my last LSR anyway, so thats good.

It was an ok run all round though, and it was a beautiful day for it, but I am questioning whether I really enjoy these longer runs. I am starting to resent giving up my Sunday afternoons with my son and OH, and am considering maybe just concentrating on runs up for 7/8 miles on LSR days, until the Spring. Will see though.

Anyway, my laps were as follows:

1. 10.24
    2. 11.30
    3. 11:18
    4. 11:29
    5. 11:25
    6. 11:33
    7. 12:17
    8. 13:09
    9. 13:28
    10. 11.47
    11: 13:01

Ave Pace: 11.57

Week 9 mileage: 19 miles (most ever in one week!)

Aim: 11 mile LSR

It was an ok run all round though, and it was a beautiful day for it, but I am questioning whether I really enjoy these longer runs. I am starting to resent giving up my Sunday afternoons with my son and OH, and am considering maybe just concentrating on runs up for 7/8 miles on LSR days, until the Spring. Will see though.

Well done on a great run! I feel your pain with the 3 mile depression!!:D

But also in agreement with your comments about the long runs..was 1.30pm by time I got home today and that is late on Sun aft really when there is little enough of the brightness to get out with the kids. Of course if I could get out of bed bit earlier on Sun that might solves some of that problem but not sure I am that motivated!

[QUOTE=maria74;69139442

But also in agreement with your comments about the long runs..was 1.30pm by time I got home today and that is late on Sun aft really when there is little enough of the brightness to get out with the kids. Of course if I could get out of bed bit earlier on Sun that might solves some of that problem but not sure I am that motivated![/QUOTE]

Yeah, sometimes family commitments get in the way and you cant seem to fit it in. I didnt get out until 12.30 and with the drive to my route etc I wasnt home until 3.30.

I love running but it is alot of commitment sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Yeah, sometimes family commitments get in the way and you cant seem to fit it in. I didnt get out until 12.30 and with the drive to my route etc I wasnt home until 3.30.

I love running but it is alot of commitment sometimes.

Not that I follow my own advice, but the LSR really needs to be started early to minimise impact on the rest of your day/ life/ family. Up and at 'em by 8:30:eek: run done by 10:30!:rolleyes:

(of course I'm never on the road before 10:30, but do as I say, not as I do...;))

My Week 10 will be as follows:

Tuesday: 5 miles (T)
    Thursday: 3 miles (T) & Strength (X trainer)
    Sunday: 12 miles (R)

So... I still havent made up my mind on Waterford. Part of thinks "Ive done the training I should do it" and the other half thinks "Im not going to do myself justice so a Spring Half would be better". :rolleyes:

Some advice guys?

I really just cannot decide. Also with XMas coming up I am not sure I can justify heading to Waterford and paying for accommodation etc.

P.S My glutes and calves are SORE today :(

After a great run like that Id be saying do it! And imagine that as a conversation over christmas..I ran half marathon there last week...:D

You could always do another in spring with timing in mind??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

+1 I would say do it. I did my first (and only HM so far!) in May and the furthest I had done was 9-ish miles in training.
    Now my time was rubbish but it was a great feeling crossing the line. Also the running bug kicked in majorly after that and I knew I wanted to do more and do it better!
    You will do better next year but you will also have gained great experience in running Waterford and it will help you out for Spring halfs. Waterford will be my second and I'm looking forward to it (albeit a bit nervously!)

Week 10 - Tuesday

Firstly... FFS, dont you just HATE when you write a long post and Boards crashes?! :mad:

Anyway,

Aim: 5 miles

Result: 5 miles on thread

Laps:

1: 08:48
    2: 08:13
    3: 08:00
    4: 08:17
    5: 07:57

Time: 47:24

Avg pace: 08.14/m

Found it quite tough this evening for some reason, but maybe the 11 miler was still in the legs? Helped the stiffness no end though I must admit.

Also, dont think I ate enough.

Anyway 5 miles in the bag :D

• Advertisement

Oh, and on the Waterford decision, I am going to wait until after my 12 miler on Sunday and will speak to the OH about it.

The 12 miler will be my longest run before it, plan to do maybe 8/9 miles the following week as my LSR.

I am 70/30 I will do it though Id say

Advertisement