Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Tale of Two Halfs :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Best of luck whatever you decide - you're certainly well able for it if you're getting to 11-12 miles in training.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭maria74

You are doing great, dont think I could do 5 miles after my 9.6m on Sunday. Best of luck with 12!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭yungwan

Decision made: I am going to do the Waterford Half. :eek::eek:

Oh God, now I have committed to it *GULP*

I have no idea why I am so nervous and wary about commiting to this damn race! I think I just dont want to do badly...

Anyway, spoke about it last night with the OH, and while he isnt too enthused about driving all the way down to Waterford, he said he will come with me.

I think I need to draw a line under 2010 and do this particular half so I can look forward to my 2011 goals without wondering how I could have done.

Now just to book accommodation so there truely is no backing out! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

That's great, well done on the commitment and best of luck with training over the next couple of weeks! You'll be delighted you did it!

Great, cant wait to hear all about it.

• Advertisement

Week 10- Thursday

3 miles on tread - 24.42 & 20 mins on X-trainer

09:03
    08:14
    07:42

Avg pace: 8:14/m (seeing a pattern emerging!)

No running for me this weekend unfortunately.

Very annoyed with the weather as I had a 12 miler planned but it wasnt to be.

I live in a rural area, and the roads were just not suitable for running.

I woke up yesterday morning and informed my OH I was planning on trying to run, and he looked at me like I had two heads.

"Do it at your own risk" he said, "but dont expect any sympathy from me if ya end up in A&E with a broken limb". :(

Charming eh?

Anyway I went for a walk yesterday afternoon with my dog and my MIL's dog and I was glad I didnt try to go out running. I felt like I was skiing with the dogs pulling me along.:p

Hopefully it clears by next weekend so I can get in a good run.

I admire anyones determination if you managed to get out and about.

Week 11 Plan (Weather permitting :rolleyes:)

Tuesday: 3 miles (T)
    Thursday: 5 miles (T)
    Sunday: 8/12 miles* (R)

* Have to decide how many to do. I had planned on doing just 8 miles this weekend but having missed yesterdays 12 I dont know whether I should just do the 12 this weekend. (Waterford is the next weekend and I want to be rested, advice?)

Last week total mileage was a rather ****e 8 miles :rolleyes: Disappointed

PMA :D

Oh no's.... :(

My gym back stayed in the car yesterday evening as I had to leave work yesterday with a killer migraine. Not pretty.

Rescheduling 2 x gym sessions to Thurs and Friday instead (As my head is still painful today)

COuld do with some of that PMA right about now claralara!

• Advertisement

Oh no you poor thing...migraines are the worst. Hope you are feeling bit better.

Yipee, I finally got in a flipping decent run last night.

And I was a different woman afterwards! No exercise makes me a grumpy ass!

So long was my break from running (a week) I actually couldnt remember where my Garmin was, but I found it eventually.

Week 11 - Thursday

5 miles on tread.

Laps:

07:04
    07:06
    06:49
    06:39

Total: 34:59

Incline @ 2/3

Happy enough with this workout even though it felt tough at the time.
    Wore the HR monitor as I was afraid I wasnt putting in enough effort but ave was about 83% so not too bad.

Planning 3 miles on tread this evening and cross trainer.

Dont know how the weekend will pan out but hopefully Ill get something in mileage wise.

No internet at home at the moment so no update on here until Monday, but i will be having a lovely glass of wine tonight.

My first in over a month :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 612 ✭✭✭runrabbit

Holey moley you're right to be happy with this workout! A sub 35-minute 5 miler! You're a real speed demon now!

I'm only hitting around 6 min/km on the treadmill in my gym, so around 10min/mile. I'm slightly faster on the road. I couldn't even dream of those times!

runrabbit wrote: »
    Holey moley you're right to be happy with this workout! A sub 35-minute 5 miler! You're a real speed demon now!

Thanks for the confidence boost but i dunno about that! lol

Alas I can only but dream of a sub 7 min mile on the road but maybe some day eh?

Well I can only dream of a sub-8 minute mile on any surface so you're doing pretty great in my eyes!!!

Friday 3rd Dec

3 miles treadmill & 30 mins on cross trainer

Laps:

07:25
    07:22
    07:02

Sunday 5th Dec
    5 miles on road

Pretty slow but it was nice to be out all the same.
    Good thaw on in the West along main routes so it was mainly ice free.

Laps:

10:08
    12:06
    12:36
    10:49
    13:24

Time: 59:08
    Ave 11:50/mile

On Waterford, I know I have changed my mind a million times and apologies on this (Im not usually this indecisive I swear!) but i have decided once and for all that I am not doing it after all. I just wouldnt do it justice as I havent been able to do any long runs for 2 weeks now. I didnt feel strong yesterday during my 5 miles and I want a close to 2 hour half which I just wont achieve at this point.

Disapointed but being realistic.

Good luck to those who do brave the trip down to Waterford though.

Oh god I had a hideously unproductive weekend. Far too much food and wine. I’m a disgrace! I’m going to do Waterford if the weather clears up and it goes ahead. More just because I have nothing to lose – the hotel and race are paid for and I’ve accepted I won’t get a good time. It’ll keep me off the booze for one night on Friday at the very least. Because the Christmas celebrations and eating and drinking begin in earnest next week... I’m looking forward to getting stuck in in the New Year but judging by the plans being made for the next 3 weeks, it’s going to be tough!!

Pity you won't make it but there'll be plenty more! Speaking of, what is the new / next goal? Or is it too early to harrass you with that question?

What are you planning for this week?

Aw that's a pity. Yesterday morning I had decided the same but by the evening I had changed my mind! So who knows what I'll do in the end!

I admire your determination with Waterford. Best of luck in it if it goes ahead.
    Tbh I am kind of hoping its cancelled so I can say it wasnt my decision to back out! haha
    Pity you won't make it but there'll be plenty more! Speaking of, what is the new / next goal? Or is it too early to harrass you with that question?

What are you planning for this week?

Well I have been thinking of my new goals for 2011. I was hoping I could start a new thread having completed this years "Two Halves" goal but now I can't really which is a balls.

I have been looking at races and have decided on a few alright. Just have to post them here.

It is going to be hard to keep motivated over the next few weeks. I am away this weekend so already I probably wont get a run in at weekend but I will see!

Tuesday: 5 miles (T)
    Thursday: 4 miles & X (T)
    Sunday: 5 miles*

*Hoping to get these miles in but I am away for the weekend. Hopefully I can nip out in the inlaws house Sunday morning. ;)

• Advertisement

As mentioned above, I had hoped I would have achieved my goal for this thread ie. a Half Marathon PB, and therefore be able to start a new thread with new goals. However this hasnt panned out.

I am looking forward to 2011 though and my goals for the next 12 months are as follows:

Overall Goals:

5K - Sub 25 mins
    10K - Sub 50 mins
    5 miles - Sub 45 mins
    Half - 2 hours
    Marathon - 4 hours

These are my overall aims for 2011. I dunno how achievable they are for me personally but I will try.

Planned races:

Jan 16th Tuam - 8K (not sure of my aim on this)
    March 6th Carrick on Shannon - 10K (Sub 60)
    April 10th Connemarathon - Half (Sub 2 hours)
    June Bank Hol - Womens Mini Marathon - 10K (Sub 55 minutes?)

Adidas Race Series? (TBC)

October Bank Hol - Dublin City Marathon (4 hours?)

Hopefully Ill add a few more races in as I go along. But these are the main races planned ofr 2011.

No doubt my goals will change as I go along and these may not be in any way achieveable for me but its best to aim high, right?? GULP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Will probably see ya at Conn and possibly the women's mini-marathon :)

So, FML :(

Snow day yesterday as my route to work was trecherous.
    This was great as I got loads of cleaning and stuff done at home. House now spotless!!

Didnt get to gym as planned though as I had the feeling of an impending cold. Low and behold I feel sh*te today.

Gym bag in car, hopefully Ill get to it this evening but will see.

Winter training not going so well :(

On another note, I would say Waterford will be cancelled. Unless a massive thaw arrives which I doubt somehow. Minus 10 on the way int his morning!!! I predict more snow and freezing temps next week too. Will it ever end?

At least I can say it was cancelled and its not me just being a quitter!! ;)

You're officially NOT a quitter!! Yaay! :D

My gym bag is also in car. However I think think Dundrum SC is calling louder...

Thursday 9th December

5 miles on treadmill

Dont have laps but it took me 37:18 altogether.

4 miles and x trainer planned this evening.

Friday 10th December 2010

4 miles on treadmill - 30.08

+ 30 mins on Cross Trainer

Bold Yungwan :(

No running this weekend.

Too much to do unfortunately and just didnt get the time.

On the plus side I did finish all my Xmas shopping!

Last full week at work before the festivities! Yipee!

Dont know how possible running will be outside this weekend, more ice/snow being predicted :(

But will fit in 2 gym sessions.

Tuesday 14th December

Warmup: 3 miles on stationary bike

6 miles on treadmill in 45:11 :eek:

Incline @ 2% throughout

Tough workout but I had to make up for the lack of running at weekend and the fact that chocolate eating has become a regular occurence! Well it is (almost) Xmas, right??!

Plan to hit the gym again Thursday PM for 4/5 miles and cross trainer work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Jebas, you are a speedster yungwan :eek: Great work!

• Advertisement

RubyK wrote: »
    Jebas, you are a speedster yungwan :eek: Great work!

+1 - amazing! You've hit your 2011 10k goal already! It's fantastic how quickly your times have improved - I'm really inspired by you (and also a tiny bit jealous as I know I'll never hit those sort of paces!). Any tips for how you improved your times that you can share so that I can put them into practice for 2011?

Advertisement