Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Tale of Two Halfs :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭yungwan

runrabbit wrote: »
    +1 - amazing! You've hit your 2011 10k goal already! It's fantastic how quickly your times have improved - I'm really inspired by you (and also a tiny bit jealous as I know I'll never hit those sort of paces!). Any tips for how you improved your times that you can share so that I can put them into practice for 2011?

Wow I think you might have the wrong thread here! Inspired by me?! :pac:

I cant believe that, and me just a plodder!
    I am getting faster, and I am proud of myself alright, but I really havent been able to improve my times on road (for a variety of reasons) and I just find the treadmill easier somehow. Its probably the constant pace, whereas if I had to push myself on the road I just wouldnt be able to I think. Also, (and this may sound strange!) the mirror in front of me tends to keep me focused if that makes sense? I just zone out, focus on my breathing and eye contact with myself(!), and tell myself to push it for just one more mile. If only I could bring a mirror on the road with me! haha

I really do wish I could put these strategies into place on road, and I would love if I could find someone locally to run with come the spring. I feel it would push me and make me more determined.

As for tips I really feel daft giving any, but if I could credit anything I think it has been consistency to be honest. Making sure I just incorporate 2/3 runs a week basically, and I think it is paying off at long last! Pity I havent been able to get in much outdoor running lately but hopefully I will over Xmas. I have my bad weeks but I am determined to make 2011 a good year for me running wise!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Wow! What an amazing time. Well done you! :D

Ok, ok so I totally wish I could delete the semi smug post above.....

And can I just say before this admission that I knew my times had gotten fast, very quickly. And I never for a second thought that these times were going to happen on road for me. So in essence even though my times for usually 7:xx on treadmill I had been thinking this would be only 9:XX on road. :rolleyes:

So many of you more experienced runners probably figured this out (wish someone had toold me though!)

Anyway..... I was using a treadmill in KM the whole fu*king time and not miles!

I should be blonde I think....

SO I am an idiot, and when I was in the gym doing flipping 5 miles I was only doing 3! Im such a muppet. So anyways, along with being stupid, I am still slow!!

I am nearly at the stage where I can laugh, but not quite. :o

Sorry to to others who thought I was class, I am not in fact at all. :rolleyes:

Major red face.

So anyway I am in agreeance, the tread does in fact suck and takes way more effort than road. (How looooong is a KM on tread ffs?!!)

Anyway.... walks slowly into the background again..

Thursday 16th December 2010

30 minutes on ellipitical crosstrainer.

3 miles on treadmill :rolleyes: (SLOW!)

Flipping road to work LETHAL today, took me 2.5 hrs to go a usual 40 minute journey in car :(

FML.

No running/exercise this weekend as I am unmotivated after my KM/Mile revelation and I cant be assed :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

Don't get too caught up with the speed or pace, just keep plugging away at it. Its tough with this weather but every mile you put in now will stand to you on the spring. There's a good chart here on treadmill pace conversions, pick the pace you want to run, then convert in into KPHs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Hey yungwan, don't feel unmotivated! You are putting in the time and effort, which great. It's an easy mistake to make, don't be knocking yourself and your confidence!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭maria74

Yungwan, I know it is disheartning but you are doing so well try not let this get in your way of future acheivments. I feel your pain, saw myself running today and thought I was actually running on spot at one stage. I am sooo slow! But I am comforting myself with fact I am still running 3 times a week and today I did 1 hr 40 mins.

Why not try to get out for a run (or in on the treadmill). If not it will be harder to do next week with all the celebrating going on. And after that journey to work think you might need a bit of de-stressing :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Don't be silly, it was a blip in a great training schedule. Chalk it down and keep up the good work. You'll be even more annoyed with yourself if you let it all slide now. Four weeks until Waterford so focus on that and don't worry about the last couple of weeks! :)

By the by, I asked somewhere on here about the speed and conversion for treadmill and I think that on a treadmill that's in kilometres the speed should be 9.6 for 10min miles, 10.7 for 9miles and 12 for 8min miles. (roughly anyway). There are conversion calculators online too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 612 ✭✭✭runrabbit

yungwan wrote: »
    Anyway..... I was using a treadmill in KM the whole fu*king time and not miles!

I should be blonde I think....

Well then I should be blonde too because I did the EXACT same thing. It was that that put me off treadmills for life! It feels like you're flying along so don't feel bad - I think it does take a fair bit more effort so it will stand to you. You're still doing a decent pace, I can barely move on it so don't be disheartened. Other people seem to find it much easier (I thought you were one of them) but I think it's a torture machine!

Anyway I'm still inspired by you because you're so dedicated and I love reading your log so there ya go! I'm hoping to get out for 30 minutes this weekend - are you with me?

Thanks guys for all the kind words, I really really appreciate it, and it cheered me up.

So I have been a very bad girl and havent done ANY exercise in almost a week. Lazy yungwan, and its not paranoia I really do feel more flabby, in particular in the belly area. Not helped by the fact I just ate 4 biscuits on my teabreak today!!

But I have good news to report, my OH (finally ;)) got down on one knee on Friday night!! I am engaged!! \0/ So so excited!

So the celebrations at the weekend and all the excitment dictated that I got NO exercise done. Tbh I dont think I will get anything done this side of Xmas as I havent finished all the bits and bobs and I am FAST running out of time. :pac: Might try to fit in a gym session this evening though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭PDCAT

Congratulations Yungwan. When's the big day set for?
    Make sure you don't let it interfere with your training now.;)
    You have to get your priorities right.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Congratulations yungwan :D Enjoy the engagement and festive celebrations!!

Congragulations Yungwan!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

Hi Yungwan

Just catching up on your thread now. I'm starting all over again because I got one two mile run in over 6 weeks in November/ December!! I've put on half a stone so I'm trying to get back on track.

I came to your thread to help motivate me because you have been way more consistent than me...well done!

But the best bit was your last post. Congratulations!!! That is wonderful news! Hope you've been enjoying the celebrations.

Hopefully we can try and synchronise our efforts again the new year :)

Happy New Year everyone!!

I had a great Christmas, eating, drinking and generally being lazy!!

But I loved every minute of it, and I am trying not to feel too bad about it all!! Feck it, life is for living and all that!!

Thanks everyone for the well wishes on my engagement. I am still super excited, and I adore my ring!! Never had any bling before! It will be a long engagement, probably early 2013 as they are wild expensive! But plans will begin soon.

In meantime I have to start my exercise again, and make up for the for the 3 WEEKS (GULP!) that I havent exercised! I might just get the ring taken off me again if I continue as I am!! :D

TIME TO ERADICATE THE TUMMY!!!

New week, new routine!! Plan for this week:

Tuesday: Stationary Bike 20 mins & 5K (T),
    Thursday: Cross Trainer 30 mins & 5K
    Sunday: 4 miles (R)*

*Please god the weather permits.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Only catching up on your log now! Congrats on the engagement! Lovely start to the new year.

Welcome back Yungwan. Three weeks isn't too bad....:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Welcome back Yungwan - you'll catch the bug again in no time. Sure after my disastrous attempt at my first long run since christmas I thought it was game over but I'm getting back into already. Best of luck with the new goals :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 612 ✭✭✭runrabbit

Great to see you back!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Sunday: 4 miles (R)*

*Please god the weather permits.

Congrats on your news. Exciting times!

Had to comment on this asterisk... you know you're not allowed to let the weather interfere with your training? You do know you live in Ireland? The weather never co-operates! :D
    Get yourself a running rain jacket, a hat and some gloves (and some yaktrax if needed) and get out there.

'nuff preaching :rolleyes:

...and all said without the slightest hint of hypocrisy!

• Advertisement

Emer911 wrote: »
    ...and all said without the slightest hint of hypocrisy!

Yes cheeky comment in there Emer!! I was of course referring to ice, and not rain. As if!! :D

Tuesday 11th January 2011

25 mins on stationary bike - 10kms

5kms on treadmill - veeeery slowly. Took me flipping 41 mins.

Very tough run tbh, I was feeling the lack of fitness for sure. And I definately had a few F this moments, but I ploughed on. Felt great afterwards for finally doing something and I was expecting to be in pain today after it, put I am actually grand.

Onwards and upwards. :D

Still dont know what my plans are race wise at this point. To be honest I am not sure Im that bothered by racing for now. Will see

Great that you you're back. After a week you'll feel much more into the swing of things. All your hard work before Christmas will stand to you.

Its the afterwards moments that make the f this moments worth it I think!;)

Thursday 13th January 2011

30 minutes on X-trainer.

Followed by 2 sh!te miles on the treadmill :(

To be honest I walked most of it. I just ament feeling the love. Dont know what else to say. Happy to be burning off some cals, not enthuised whatsoever by tread running.

Going to get out Sunday for approx 4 miles outside and hope it spurs me on. Might have to get a plan and a goal in place from Monday as I seem to lack motivation without a focus. Hopefully thats all it is.

Chow for now.

Im not feeling the love at the moment either!
    Think I also need a plan and also one of those great runs where it is easy and you are not gasping for breath (and bit of wind beneath my trainers would be nice also!!). Hopefully we will both get this at the weekend!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Might have to get a plan and a goal in place from Monday as I seem to lack motivation without a focus. Hopefully thats all it is.

I know I'm totally useless if I don't have a plan to follow, which generally goes hand-in-hand with a race to train for... There's nothing like an impending challenging race to whip up the motivation! :D

Find a goal race a few months from now and pick a plan to match.
    Something in March/April will take a 10 - 12 week plan.

And don't forget, this is supposed to be fun! :p;)

[HTML][/HTML]
    I know I'm totally useless if I don't have a plan to follow, which generally goes hand-in-hand with a race to train for... There's nothing like an impending challenging race to whip up the motivation! :D

12 weeks to the big C! You on for a plan??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 520 ✭✭✭5h4mr0(k

This was my first 10k, and the timing is right for you.
    http://www.runireland.com/events/2010-03-27/pakie-ryan-memorial-10k-run5k-walk40k-cycle
    Was a great day last year, helped by fantastic weather.

maria74 wrote: »

12 weeks to the big C! You on for a plan??

Wow is that only 12 weeks away!?

Hmmm I had semi decided to do that. I hope you mean a hlaf now and npt a full coz I am definately NOT ready for that yet!

What plan you following then? My arm is being twisted!! :eek:

• Advertisement

[HTML][/HTML]
    Wow is that only 12 weeks away!?

Hmmm I had semi decided to do that. I hope you mean a hlaf now and npt a full coz I am definately NOT ready for that yet!

What plan you following then? My arm is being twisted!! :eek:

Am following HH Novice plan, started today for the half (for me anyway) . You know you want to!

Advertisement