Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Tale of Two Halfs :)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭yungwan

maria74 wrote: »

Am following HH Novice plan, started today for the half (for me anyway) . You know you want to!

Well you obviously had the presence of mind to enter the race on time!
    Just went onto their website there to double check the date and its sold out!! Very popular in deed obviously.

So I will have to re-evaluate my plan.

I havent had time to look up any other halfs early in the year. Maybe someone could suggest one?

Forgot to mention yesterday's run:

Sunday 16th January 2011

4 miles easy but enjoyable. Considering its my first outdoor run in ages it went well. Happy to announce I had my running mojo back and I really enjoyed being out in the free air. Its like a mini facial!!

Going to try to get out for a 3/4 run tomorrow am as I am off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

I entered this Half on the 23rd April which gives you the time to follow Hals Half Novice plan.

http://www.runballybunion.com/

Great to see you got your mojo back! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭maria74

Great you are enjoying being back out!
    What about KIldare half in May?

Thanks for the suggestions girls.

I will definately look into those 2 races. Kildare might suit be better actually. Ballybunion a little far away, but I will see.

Tuesday 18th Janaury 2011

Due to time constraints I could only fit in 3 miles. But it was another lovely sunny morning and I really enjoyed it again. Still pretty slow but it was nice and easy and enjoyable. A few slippy spots in the shade but managed to avoid any falls!

Gym tommorrow I hope.

Great you are enjoying being back out!
    What about KIldare half in May?

maria would you have any further detail on this race? I cant find it on runireland.

Half tempted to do the Dualathon in Boyle on May 1st (as its just down the road from me and looks fun) but I dont know whether to choose a 1/2 marathon before or after this.

Probably before....

Hmmm looking at River Moy 1/2 which would be closer to me but its only 2 weeks later. Would I risk injury or jeopardising my training by doing both??

Also the River Moy race gives me 15 weeks training which allows me a few weeks off for injury/sickness and holiday next month.

Decisions decisions.

• Advertisement

http://www.kildaremarathon.ie/full_marathon.html

Just talking about it yesterday to someone and they said it is pretty flat?

Wow that was a quick response!

Looks good maria. Youre still doing Connamarathon then?

Its definately between Kildare and River Moy 1/2s for me.

Both the same weekend so I will start following a 12 week plan from next week.

Plan to do Womens Mini Marathon in June too and will need to do another 10K before that so I can register in the first category. Definately not doing it if I am stuck in with the masses again!

[HTML][/HTML]
    yungwan wrote: »
    Plan to do Womens Mini Marathon in June too and will need to do another 10K before that so I can register in the first category. Definately not doing it if I am stuck in with the masses again!

ooohhh joining the racing elite? :D
    Having never done this for various reasons (despite registering last 3/4 years) I plan to do it this year also. I dont know much about the categories though!

ooohhh joining the racing elite? :D
    Having never done this for various reasons (despite registering last 3/4 years) I plan to do it this year also. I dont know much about the categories though!

Haha its far from elite I am!!

But I do want to give myself a chance. Its just too condensed with the crowd and if I cant get up the front I wont bother doing it. I know its really for the craic and you're not ever going to PB there but I need every bit of help I can get! Slowcoach is what I am!

Didnt get to gym yesterday as my son was sick yesterday (again :rolleyes:, the joys of the working mum, poor guy) This evening though. (even though im banjaxed (Love that word!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Yungwan, dunno if this helps but Kildare was my first half last year and I'm so glad it was. Course is relatively flat with a couple of drags around the 3 mile (i think).
    Atmosphere and local support was great and there were plenty of first timers on the course so I never worried about my time.
    Check out the thread on the event from last year to get an idea. I don't know anything about the River Moy 1/2 so can't advise there.

PS will def be signing up for it again this year

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

shazkea wrote: »
    Yungwan, dunno if this helps but Kildare was my first half last year and I'm so glad it was. Course is relatively flat with a couple of drags around the 3 mile (i think).
    Atmosphere and local support was great and there were plenty of first timers on the course so I never worried about my time.
    Check out the thread on the event from last year to get an idea. I don't know anything about the River Moy 1/2 so can't advise there.

PS will def be signing up for it again this year

+1
    It was my first half too. I ran it on my own and met loads of friendly people en route. The atmosphere was great and the route was pleasant. The weather was really good too (maybe a bit too good...seriously am I ever happy?!). I'd definitely recommend it.

I'm hoping to do it again this year. I want to be that person in 29 years at the 30th anniversay who's run the Kildare Half every year since it's inaugaration :D

Friday 21st January 2011

Gym session

20 mins stationary bike
    15 mins X trainer
    20 mins walk on treadmill with incline set at approx 9.

TBH I cant face running on the treadmill. It just bores me to death. So I walked briskly on it instead. (circa 2k only)

I think the fact that my recent outdoor runs went fine means my fitness levels havent been too badly affected by my Xmas break and lack of outdoor training. Whilst I am slow I was ok on those albeit small runs.

I think for me variety is important too, so for the time being gym workouts will hopefully be ok and will hold my base a little.

At the end of the day being active in any way or form is important and I hope to begin a plan proper from next week.

This weekend will not be great tbh as I am in Galway with friends 2moro night (and more than likely wont be able for exercise Sunday)

Good Yungwan starts Monday, finding it tough to shift the Xmas tummy and its pissing me off!! I want my 2010 tummy back!!

And so I begin another 12 week plan!

Lets hope this race goes ahead and/or there isnt a catastophe meanign my training is in vain again.

I will be doing the Kildare half marathon and will be following the intermediate Hal Hidgeon plan. (Loosly)

Its going to be tough trying to get the mid week runs in, but I wil haveo get out in the dark or something coz I dont think the gym and the dreadmill will work out!

P.S the weekend was verrry messy and I need a detox! Still hungover today I think!
    And unfortunately I stupidly smoked a couple of fags. Very disappointed in myself as ironically 2moro would be my 1 year anniversary off them without so much as a drag. I was too drunk to care though. Anyway, I have to forget about it all and get on with it. My poor tar free lungs are no longer tar free :( I dont think I will ever touch one again though as its not worth this feeling.

Week 1.

Tuesday 3 miles
    Thursday 3 miles
    Sunday 5 miles

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

Oh no!!! I cant believe you had some fags!! You must have been really drunk and surrounded by others smoking.

Anyway. Its only a little blip cos you are off them a year. Just get back on track immediately and get all that crap out of your system by the end of the week with your Hal plan! Once you're back in the routine of Hal you'll be fine. Forget and move on!!! I had a similar experience at a hen party in April and I just told myself that I shouldn't be hard on myself because I'd been so good up until then. I haven't had one since and I don't think I will again because I know how stupid I felt after.

I'm still going to congratulate you on your year anniversary tomorrow! You've been so good all year.

I'm going to have to head out in the morning this week in order to fit the runs in...dreading the dark freezing morning runs!

Nothing like a weekend of excess to get you signed up for a plan!!!:D

Is there cross training on the plan also?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

And so I begin another 12 week plan!

Lets hope this race goes ahead and/or there isnt a catastophe meanign my training is in vain again.

I will be doing the Kildare half marathon and will be following the intermediate Hal Hidgeon plan. (Loosly)

Excellent, see you there and good luck with the plan.

Nothing like a weekend of excess to get you signed up for a plan!!!:D

Is there cross training on the plan also?

Well if housework and walking around delivering Avon catalogues in my area counts as cross then yes! Other than this, no. I just dont have time. 3 evenings is all I can commit to at present.

[HTML][/HTML]
    Well if housework and walking around delivering Avon catalogues in my area counts as cross then yes! Other than this, no. I just dont have time. 3 evenings is all I can commit to at present.

Walking is cross training!

Tuesday 25th Jan 2011

3 miles in 35 mins.

Lovely run actually. It started misting for the last mile but it was fine. Cooled me down. Delighted I went, I felt so bloated and crap today.

Definately felt them cigs on my lungs though :(

• Advertisement

I recently got a new Ipod and have been busy putting good running songs on it etc. I thought I remembered a thread on it in ART before but I cannot find it. Anywho, can anyone suggest good running motivator songs and/or podcasts? Cheers!

Think I will buy 101 running songs Lap 2. Alot of the songs look ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

You could try the Marathon Talk podcast

Was thinking the same thing last night....need some new songs. Listened to Last Word (Today FM) yesterday but all the politicans were on, its no wonder I couldnt breathe properly!;)

Looking forward to all your replies.

Downloaded "101 Running Songs Lap 2" last night. I cant wait to try it out as they seem great. A mixture of old and new with a few thrown in that ud never think of but should be great!

I also downloaded a Runners World podcast subscription "Taking on a Half Marathon Challenge". It could be crap but I thought it might motivate me when I fel unmotivated during the long long runs!

3 miles planned tonight.

Thursday 26th Jan 2011

3 miles slow. (approx 37 mins)

Enjoyed it and it was a lovely crisp evening. Felt faster than it was though!

5 miles planned Sunday.

[HTML][/HTML]
    Downloaded "101 Running Songs Lap 2" last night. I cant wait to try it out as they seem great. A mixture of old and new with a few thrown in that ud never think of but should be great!

I also downloaded a Runners World podcast subscription "Taking on a Half Marathon Challenge". It could be crap but I thought it might motivate me when I fel unmotivated during the long long runs!

3 miles planned tonight.

Going to try get those for tomorow, how did you get on today?

Going to try get those for tomorow, how did you get on today?

Hiya Maria

5 miles today in 58 mins.

Slow by others standards but it was flipping tough enough for me!!

Told myself at the offset I needed to under 60 mins but I barely managed it. Stiff now.

Week one done though!! \O/

Week 2

Tuesday: 3 miles
    Thursday: 3 miles
    Sunday: 6 miles

Week 2

Tuesday 1st February 2011

3 miles in 35 mins

Lovely run, really didnt feel like leaving the couch but once I got one mile out of the way I loved it. Was all going well until the last half mile when my hip started bothering me so the this was a struggle and effed up my time :( Its still bothering me slightly today. (The same thing always happens when I resume a plan after lack of consistency)

Hopefully Itll be grand once I get into it again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Well done. Hope the hip sorts itself out. I always find the first few miles really tough, I feel really tight and niggly, but then things just seem to loosen up and I feel so much better at the end. :)

Advertisement