Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Tale of Two Halfs :)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

Hi yungwan

Have you tried an epsom salt bath after your run to sort out the niggles?

Some people swear by them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭maria74

I feel it in hips too, on longer runs. Probably just first LSR in a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭yungwan

Week 2 didnt really go so well.

Life kind of got in the way and I didnt fit in my 3 miler mid week.

I did do 6 miles today but unfortunately I had my own 7 year old pacer on his bike for the first 4 miles. Which involved alot of stopping and starting.

But got in the miles anyway, and once I dropped him back home and went on and done my last 2 miles myself.

Hip was nigglying on and off, but nothing too serious.

Hopefully my third week will be better! :o

Still done tho!
    On to wk 3. Am finding the rest of life gets in way alright (and at times offers me a good convincing get out clause also!!)

Week 3 Plan

Tuesday 3.5 miles
    Thursday 3 miles
    Sunday 7 miles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Tipsygypsy

Hi Yungwan, your log has kept me busy for the afternoon!!! congrats on the engagement. Youve been busy since I fell off the land of ART, great to read your log, Ill be following it from now on, trying to get myself motivated and off my lazy ass!
    Good luck with the training.
    Tipsy

Tuesday 8th Feb 2011

3.5 miles in just shy of 40 mins.

Lovely run. Really enjoyed it despite being soaked to the skin during the last 3/4 of a mile!

Hip was fine and I really had the feeling of running joy throughout.

Really wish I could find someone in the Boyle/Carrick on Shannon area to run my LSRs though. I think it would really help, jealous of the little running groups ye East side people have going on ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

You're doing great Yungwan and back up to 7 miles again already!

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭runrabbit

Just catching up on your log Yungwan - you're flying it! I've done feck-all the last couple of months but starting a new training program now, will be keeping an eye on yours for motivation!

Thursday 10th Feb 2011

3 miles in 35 mins

Struggled this evening even though conditions were perfect.

Not enjoyable but done .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

yungwan wrote: »
    Thursday 10th Feb 2011

3 miles in 35 mins

Struggled this evening even though conditions were perfect.

Not enjoyable but done .

Keep it up and try to stay positive. You're doing great. ;)
    We all have bad days sometimes. It'll be worth it in the long run - promise! :D

Sunday 13th Feb 2011

7 miles in approx 1:20:00 (ill double check my Garmin later, its upstairs and a bridge too far at this moment in time)

I had to do this run to make up for the massive chicken burger and chips the OH and I treated ourselves to last night (who said romance was dead?!)

Fairly enjoyable run must admit.

Week 4/5

Ok so heres where the break in my training will happen.

I am going away to Rome this week from Wed to Tues to a wedding, which I am part of the bridal party. So my running is going to take a nose dive. I would like to say I will get out running, but I honestly doubt I will. The hotel we staying in has a gym and pool so I am going to try to get in a couple of workouts.

Anyway I have this gap factored in and Ill let ye know how I do afterwards!

In the meantime I hope to get out this Tuesday evening for 4 miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Have a great time in Rome!

IM BACK!

So I am back from my running break and ready to get back into it.

Had an amazing time in Rome, such a lovely city and the wedding was lovely.

For me, there is nothing like a few extra pounds creeping around the tummy area to motivate back onto the road. Thank god for vanity!

I still have 12 weeks until the planned 1/2 marathon in Kildare on 15th May, so I will be ok for time and training. Also hoping to get in a few other races this summer.

Suppose I better commit to some on here to focus myself!
    • April 23rd - Kilmovee Hospice 10K
    • May 15th - Kildare 1/2 Marathon
    • June 6th - Womens Mini Marathon 10K
    • July 30th - Lough Arrow 10K
    • October 31st - Dublin City Marathon (GULP :eek:)
    And any other local races that take my fancy!

I really have to get more committed to my training though. Hopefully I can do that from here on in.

Oh ans p.S - needless to say I have gotten ZERO running in in the lat fortnight. Im just not as committed as you fanatics! Did enough walking while sightseeing. It was a holiday after all!! lol

Plan for this week:

Going to revert back to week 3 training schedule to ease myself back in:

Week 1

Tuesday: 3 miles
    Thursday: 3.5 miles
    Sunday: 7 miles*

*I am actually away again this weekend. So this might very well have to be pushed out to Monday evening next to fit it in. Either that or I will get it in while visiting. Will play by ear.

Welcome back... Sounds like you had a blast. Now the fun begins!? :D

Wednesday 2/3/11

3 miles. 35 mins. Have to work on times. (A day late but OHs GAA got in way!!) Hip was niggling again which dragged me a little.

Lovely run. Looking forward to increasing the mileage.

Signed up to Mini Marathon 10K today and plan to start registering for others in the coming weeks.

Another 3.5 tomorrow.

Thursday 3/3/11

3.5 miles in approx 40 mins ( Garmin battery died after 1st mile!)

First 2 miles were great, but struggled over last 1.5. Combination of 2 consequtive days running (which I NEVER do!) and a busy day meant I was very tired but its done anyway. And no hip niggles thank god.

Enjoying a lovely cuppa with a choccy digestive. Yum (Post holiday diet can start Monday!)

6/3/11

7 miles 1:22.

As mentioned above I was away this weekend visiting my sister in Lucan.

Had a lovely few days and thankfully I dusted off my runners this morning and set off for my run (despite a very busy few days and 2 late nights).

Obviously wasnt sure of the area so I just set off with my garmin towards Liffey Valley and back, back out past Penny Hill and back and then I did a few laps of the park across the road from her estate.

Nice run actually apart from around the 4 mile mark when I kind of struggled. Kept going and it passed thank god.

Nice to get a change of scenery too and I met a few runners along the way. According the my watch av pace was just over 12 min/mile but i got up to 5 min pace at one point which seems weird!

Anywho happy with first week.

Also need new runners. Hopefully I can last til my bithday next month.

Week 1 mileage 13.5

• Advertisement

Week 2 Plan

Tuesday 3 miles
    Thursday 3.5 miles
    Sunday 8 miles

Thinking of doing a 10k on Paddys Day in Tubbercurry.
    It would be nice to get in some races.

Wed 09/03/11

3 miles - 34.30 mins

Pretty sh*te run for me. I was never in the mood tbh but miles done are miles done. :rolleyes:

So tired this week, it sucks.

Ok so I hold my hands up... this hasnt been my most successful week.

Didnt manage to fit in my 3.5 mid week miles for various reasons I wont go into.

So this morning I set of hoping to redeem myself and possibly even do an extra mile... hmm not so.

I went on to have one of my worst runs ever :(

Every muscle that could be tight was tight (calves, quads) and I had to keep stretching every mile or so. The route I took was quite hilly (as in long gradual descents) which always seem to cause havoc on my quads and really leave me like Im pulling myself along. The strong wind into m face slowed me so much at one point I felt like I was walking.

Very heavy legs ensued over the miles 3 - 5 after which time I had pretty much decided enough was enough as my hip was very sore.

However something overcame me and I ran on past my car and continued on a little more, still slowly....

I still didnt make my planned 8 miles, stopped at the region of 6.7 miles, but it was all I had in me. Will have to repeat this week again, but tbh I think I need to.

Will have to figure out what happened me today. Perhaps I didnt prehydrate enough? I just dunno.

Sunday 13/03/11
    6.7 miles in a slow 1:26

Weekly total: A pretty sh!te, must try harder 10.7 miles
    Ave. 12.8/m

Will have to figure out what happened me today. Perhaps I didnt prehydrate enough? I just dunno.

Don't beat yourself up. We all have those kind of runs from time to time. As long as you keep going and get out there regularly, the good days will be more frequent than the bad ones.
    Stay positive, you're doing great :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Yungwan

Have been following you log for sometime now.

Look life will get in the way of your running but only if you let it. Yeah I know only to well that ****e happens and you have to deal with it but it seems to me that your running comes out 2nd best way too often which is why when you do get a run in you feel guilty about it and its not an enjoyable session.

You have to start enjoying your runs, and looking forward to them. So when you plan a 3 mile on a Wednesday make it happen and do not let anything else get in its way and look forward to enjoying it and getting out there.

Please leave your watch at home. I am not interested in how long it takes you to run 3 miles, I only want to see you post
    tonite I ran 3 miles and felt really good afterwards
    even if it took you nearly a hour to complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Yeah, I feel that if you're not enjoying the runs, you need to regroup and even take a break from it for a while. We all have bad running days where things just don't click or feel right..... everything seems an effort.

The thing is you've come a long way, you're doing really well - just don't give up. There will be better runs. :)

ger664 wrote: »
    You have to start enjoying your runs, and looking forward to them. So when you plan a 3 mile on a Wednesday make it happen and do not let anything else get in its way and look forward to enjoying it and getting out there.

Thanks for the input ger664.

You have a point! I know sometimes I dont get in runs that I should. But to be fair by and large when I follow a programme I do follow it.

As you have all said I have just had a few bad runs, but I have to just brush myself off and get on with it.

By and large I do enjoy my runs but I do find that when I put pressure on myself (i.e. to improve my times as others are, or when a race is approaching) I dont enjoy them anymore. Sometimes it can just be frustrating - I know you have all been there too. But when I think rationally about it, of course I have improved, its just very gradual.

I have no doubt the love will return, I just have to be patient!

On a side note, I am worried about my hip, which is still sore today. I wonder if it would be to do with needing new runners? If it doesnt improve soon I will see a physio.

Thats again Ger, Emer and Jcsmum. Your advice and encouragement is appreciated.

Plan for this week

Going to repeat last weeks plan as I need to do it justice.

Tuesday 3 miles
    Thursday 3.5 miles
    Sunday 8 miles

To be completed with a positive attitude :D

3 miles :)

Such a beautiful evening sure how could you not!?

Enjoyable run by all means.

P.S I ran past a neighbour and when I doubled back she shouted "how fit are you"??!

Delighted! :)

• Advertisement

[HTML][/HTML]
    3 miles :)

Such a beautiful evening sure how could you not!?

Enjoyable run by all means.

P.S I ran past a neighbour and when I doubled back she shouted "how fit are you"??!

Delighted! :)

Ha ha Fantastic! Makes it all worth while...not that you/I need that outside morale boost!!:D Great you are back into it and hey look at you go!!!

There were so many people running by my window today and this evening it makes being sick even harder...looked like lovely day/eve out there. :(

Advertisement