Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Tale of Two Halfs :)

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭yungwan

Forgot to update this.

Thursday 17th

3.5 miles done. :)

Not my best run as I had a little too much wine for Paddys Day. :rolleyes:

But done regardless.

Also..... hmmm Im not entirely sure if Im going to register in many races this year. I just want to enjoy running without worrying about times.
    I dont think ill ever match other Boardies standards and Ive figured out that I just want to run to keep fit and healthy not to compete.

So I have to stop putting that pressure on myself and just enjoy it.

Im still going to stick to a fixed plan, but its going to be about progression in miles etc rather than all pace focused.

I know my pace will improve marginally over time, and you know what, they may never get to what I want them to, - I just dont think Im built for speed! And realistically I want to focus on being healthier and toned rather than beating myself up everytime I come home.

Sorry for the rant (and I havent even had any wine 2day!! haha)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭maria74

[HTML][/HTML]
    yungwan wrote: »
    Also..... hmmm Im not entirely sure if Im going to register in many races this year. I just want to enjoy running without worrying about times.
    I dont think ill ever match other Boardies standards and Ive figured out that I just want to run to keep fit and healthy not to compete.

So I have to stop putting that pressure on myself and just enjoy it.

Im still going to stick to a fixed plan, but its going to be about progression in miles etc rather than all pace focused.

I know my pace will improve marginally over time, and you know what, they may never get to what I want them to, - I just dont think Im built for speed! And realistically I want to focus on being healthier and toned rather than beating myself up everytime I come home.

Sorry for the rant (and I havent even had any wine 2day!! haha)

I have had this discussion so many times with different runners, especially over the last few weeks! I feel exactly the same, I am a super slow plodder and am never going tp cut 17 mins off my 10K, to get unde an hour etc.
    But even more important...I don't want to put myself through what I consider torture to increase my speed (I am definatly not built for speed!) to get below an hour. I think if I was to do that every week I would soon give up running and find plenty of excuses not to do it.

In saying that I am enjoying running 3 times a week, and particularly since I started running with a friend. I think it is great for stress and fitness. But I dont think I will be going beyond the 10K runs

Fun runners OH calls people who do all of these 5k/10k races...and what is wrong with that??:D

Having only ever done 3 runs before I am hardly an expert but maybe a few races a year Yungwan to keep the momentum up and the goals in sight? But banish the big plans and the dreaded time watching??? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

maria74 wrote: »
    [HTML][/HTML]

I have had this discussion so many times with different runners, especially over the last few weeks! I feel exactly the same, I am a super slow plodder and am never going tp cut 17 mins off my 10K, to get unde an hour etc.
    But even more important...I don't want to put myself through what I consider torture to increase my speed (I am definatly not built for speed!) to get below an hour. I think if I was to do that every week I would soon give up running and find plenty of excuses not to do it.

In saying that I am enjoying running 3 times a week, and particularly since I started running with a friend. I think it is great for stress and fitness. But I dont think I will be going beyond the 10K runs

Fun runners OH calls people who do all of these 5k/10k races...and what is wrong with that??:D

Having only ever done 3 runs before I am hardly an expert but maybe a few races a year Yungwan to keep the momentum up and the goals in sight? But banish the big plans and the dreaded time watching??? :p

Never say Never!
    I too said "only 10K - why would anyone ever want to run farther than that?!" and found myself running a marathon last year! :p How did that happen?
    And as for speed, I still say "I'm built for comfort, not speed", but I have seen my pace increase (very gradually) from 11-12 min/mi to doing a 10 miles race in <9:00 min/mi 2 weeks ago. NEVER EVER thought that would be possible!

So, yes don't pressure yourself, but don't write yourself off either. Enjoy the running, stay consistent, and you never know where you'll end up :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Emer911 wrote: »
    And as for speed, I still say "I'm built for comfort, not speed"
    Pretty much exactly what I say about myself - and it'll be even more true if I don't put the junk food away while I'm injured!

[HTML][/HTML]
    Emer911 wrote: »
    Never say Never!
    I too said "only 10K - why would anyone ever want to run farther than that?!" and found myself running a marathon last year! :p How did that happen?
    And as for speed, I still say "I'm built for comfort, not speed", but I have seen my pace increase (very gradually) from 11-12 min/mi to doing a 10 miles race in <9:00 min/mi 2 weeks ago. NEVER EVER thought that would be possible!

So, yes don't pressure yourself, but don't write yourself off either. Enjoy the running, stay consistent, and you never know where you'll end up :D

at the risk of hijacking someone else's log... It is not so much never being able to do it for me, I think it is a lack of desire on my behalf? So I am not saying never...maybe I am just saying not for me at present and am not even thinking maybe, someday...

Or maybe thats just me???;)

• Advertisement

maria74 wrote: »
    at the risk of hijacking someone else's log... It is not so much never being able to do it for me, I think it is a lack of desire on my behalf? So I am not saying never...maybe I am just saying not for me at present and am not even thinking maybe, someday...

Or maybe thats just me???;)

There's nothing wrong with that either, we all have our own reasons for running and the most important thing is to enjoy what you're doing. Some people enjoy 3 3 mile runs a week, some people aren't happy unless they're getting in 70+ miles a week. If you're happy with what you're doing at the moment and you're consistent with it, then that is a very positive thing.

There's nothing wrong with that either, we all have our own reasons for running and the most important thing is to enjoy what you're doing. Some people enjoy 3 3 mile runs a week, some people aren't happy unless they're getting in 70+ miles a week. If you're happy with what you're doing at the moment and you're consistent with it, then that is a very positive thing.

I think this is good advice!

I already feel less stressed now that I am doing it for enjoyment again.

I want to concentrate on 10K as Maria said above, maybe training to 8 miles etc. For now.

Some time, when I feel stronger and my pace improves I may try to do bigger distances, and that might even be this summer, who knows.

But for now my three runs a week are ok for me. :D

Hey guys.

Thought I better update this before it looked like I had fell off the face of the earth!

You'll be glad to hear I havent thrown in the running shoes yet, and I am still getting my runs in.

Doing my 3 runs a week of approx 3/4 miles and hoping to get out this weekend for a longer one (maybe 7).

I am registered for two 10ks (Easter Sat and Flora Mini Marathon June Bank Hol) at this point and I am greatly enjoying the freedom of running when I feel like it, for as long as I feel like.

I think I had lost the love as I had forgotten why I started out running the first place.

Ill never be aiming for elite as many on here are, and thats ok for me. I think it takes time to train your muscles into becoming a runner, and a year isnt long enough for me to make significant improvements.

For now, I am running for fun, sans Garmin and enjoying it again.

Happy running guys!

[HTML][/HTML]
    yungwan wrote: »
    Hey guys.

I think I had lost the love as I had forgotten why I started out running the first place.

For now, I am running for fun, sans Garmin and enjoying it again.
    !

Delighted to hear that!:D

Three (short) runs in the last week.

4, 3, and 3.

Didnt get out for a long run yesterday because of Mothers Day duties (as well as a sleep in and breakfast in bed for me!!)

But did manage to get out for three before sons bedtime.

• Advertisement

4, 3, 6 miles done this week.

Enjoyed my 6 miles earlier, but rookie mistake, forgot my water so I could nearly feel myself wilting. Was very warm out there, will have to bring some from now on.

Forgot to update this.

Last week I done 3x 3 mile runs.

Not fantastic mileage but meh.

4 miles planned tonight, 3 Thursday and a 10K race on Sat afternoon :eek:

First race since my disasterous half marathon last August!

Might be good for the morale and the motiviation to get out there running races again. Either that or Ill pack it in altogether!!

Obiously I havent been doing a lot of structured training or miles lately so hopefully it goes ok for me!

Fingers crossed :o

If it goes well I might even start a new thread to highlight my new goals. *gulp*

Good luck with the race, I really hope it goes well for you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

yungwan

for the race on saturday.

Start at the back with the walkers, and start at a very easy/moderate pace. Its all too easy to start quick and blow up later in the race, an outcome which will not do your confidence any good.

After a 1K you can pick up pace to a comfortable pace. Hard enough to have you breathing heavily but you are still in control of your running.

Once you get to 7K pick up the pace again, Pick the runner in front and catch and pass, rinse and repeat to the finish.

I feel this approach whilst will not give you your best time it will leave you feeling good about the race and eager to do another one.

Ger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Best of luck on Saturday. Put those demons from last year behind you, enjoy and finish with a smile on your face! :)

Best of luck for Saturday.
    Think you will surprise yourself, you may not feel you have been doing much but looking back over your log you have been getting out and doing the runs over the last few weeks so 6 little miles will be great for you!

Looking forward to the new log now!

Think of that neighbour behind you shouting...Look at you go...how fit are you!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭runrabbit

Good luck on Saturday! Your only aim should be to enjoy yourself - no targets, no pressure, just get out there and enjoy the atmosphere and running with other people instead of a boring training run on your own! When else do you get people cheering you on in your day to day life?! :D

That's the attitude I've been taking the last couple of months and I've really enjoyed the races I've done - there's no disappointment at the end; and in a couple of cases I've surprised myself with my times. But more importantly I've enjoyed the banter on the way around and been left wanting more instead of hating racing! Last year I went into every race with a tough target, and when things didn't go to plan I was miserable throughout the race and disappointed in myself at the end. I've now accepted I'm going to be towards the back of the field and that's grand with me - at least I'm doing it and improving (albeit very very slowly).

Thanks for the support guys. Its really so appreciated.

Looking forward to Saturday but nervous too. I know its only 10k but I feel if it goes well for me it will help me regain some confidence.

I think it will be good for me to get the racing day feeling into me again - the crowds, the support and the fun. Its what encouraged me to keep it up after the Mini Marathon last year. I plan to enjoy it and to follow your advice ger on the 1k and 7k idea.

Done 4 miles on Tues and I am goina do 3.5 this evening and then the 10K on Sat.

Who knows, I might surprise myself! :D

Kilmovee 10K Road race

Travelled to this with a friend and had a lovely day. Nice crowd at it too, 550 registered anyway, and all for a good cause Roscommon/Mayo Hospice.

We were aiming to break the 60 mins so we set ourselves in the sub 60 box and got chatting to another lovely girl who was also aiming for sub 60.
    Of course we took off a little fast. :rolleyes: and it soon became obvious to me that these two girls were faster than me so I let them off at the 3k mark.

I wont lie, I struggled. And Its very obvious to me that I ament doing enough running. Lately I have started the habit of taking walking breaks in my runs and I had to take alot of them today.

Anyway it was nice to get out racing again and I finally finished in 1:08 which isnt great to be fair but its a PB by 9 mins for me so Ill take that.

Already thinkin of my next race, 10K in Roscommon next Monday 2nd May. So I have to beat this!! Hopefully the flipping sun stays in!

All in all an enjoyable and well run race, €20 registration for Hospice and there was any amount of sandwiches, cakes and sweets afterwards.

Another medal to add to the collection anyway!

And who knows, I might manage to break the sub 60 10K before the years out!

Good stuff, congrats on the PB :)

• Advertisement

Thats great yungwan!
    Well done! You must be thrilled.

I am having the exact same dilema as you with regards to the walking and so am on a new plan entitled...stay running! Back to basics and literally building up from 5K back to 10/11K with no walk breaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

You finished, you enjoyed it, ran/walked faster then your best 10K.

Pretty much what you set out to do. Well Done

Thanks guys.

Done 3.5 miles* yesterday evening. Was planning on a slow recovery run, but ended up pushing myself and my poor quads were still feeling it after Saturday!

Not sure on exact time. If only I could get to the 10 min average! :rolleyes:

Itd be a start....

* Oh and thats 3.5 without walking breaks. Have to get out of that habit.

Planning a 4 miler later in week and the 10k race on Monday

So I done the 10K yesterday in Roscommon.

Felt alot stronger than last week and mostly enjoyed it to be honest.

Thought I had a PB up to 8th K but I lost it along the way and I came in at 1:08 again.

I was very disappointed to be honest. My heart couldnt be lifted by my 7 year old running alongside me either for last 100 metres. All I could see was the big yellow 1:08 mocking me like a jester.

So after a little self loathing I got over it and I have decided I will get my sub 60 10K.

I can do this, but I must first put my short comings and doubts behind me. I have therefore decided to start a new thread here for any interested parties.

Positivity that way
    > :D

Advertisement