Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

rain and satellite broadband

• 06-09-2010 4:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

when it rains heavy like it has done since yesterday does anyone that uses satellite broadband have a huge reduction in speed. last night mine stopped working all together and at the min its very slow but its hammering downat the min. i understand there would be a SLIGHT reduction in service but nt like that . was jst wondering if its the same for everyone. cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭shg101

mshaw43488 wrote: »
    when it rains heavy like it has done since yesterday does anyone that uses satellite broadband have a huge reduction in speed. last night mine stopped working all together and at the min its very slow but its hammering downat the min. i understand there would be a SLIGHT reduction in service but nt like that . was jst wondering if its the same for everyone. cheers

I had mine from ABB telecom, up until the NBS came to my area (yay!).

Yes, you get a major speed reduction when it's absolutely bucketing. But that happens rarely enough.

Just like Sky TV, but the BB degrades more gracefully.

Make sure that it is back to normal afterwards, as the associated wind could have moved your dish a bit and it might need re-aligning. Had to do this about 1-2x per year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

If there is any much change, then you have too small a dish or a mis-aligned dish.

Ireland is at the edge of footprint. Some services that can do with a 70cm dish in England need 95cm in East, 1.2m in Midwest and 1.8m Donegal/West Cork/Kerry.

If your dish needs re-aligned even once a year then the mount is substandard or the dish isn't fitted properly.

Apart from Schools Satellite "Broadband" on Intelsat 907, there is no good Irish footprints.

If Tooway on Kasat @9E is successful next year then we will have a dedicated "hot spot" and be able to use about 56cm without "rain stopping play" :)

Also launching Dec 2010 to Feb 2011 is Avanti's Hylas @33W I think. It has nothing like the capacity, but if a success should also allow sensible size dish.

Advertisement