Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Barking at TV

Options
  • 06-09-2010 5:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭

Hey all, I'm looking for a bit of help I have 2 dogs, an 18 month old Cavalier King Charles & a 6 month old Cavalier/Yorkie cross. My problem is that my Cavalier is barking at the TV anytime another animal comes on or when he sees certain colours or shadows appear on the screen.

We have tried verbally correcting him (which made matters worse), then tried ignoring him which improved him SLIGHTLY but he's still does it a lot. Anyone know of any way to stop this. I dont want to stop him barking all the time just at the tv.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

My last dog did EXACTLY the same thing so for five years I could never watch anything on Animal Planet, even had to be careful watching Frasier when Eddie came on!! Has this behaviour started recently or has he always done it? I worked out that it was of course my own fault my dog was doing this because when he was a puppy I thought it was quite cute so encouraged it unknowingly, I know a bit more about dogs now I'm glad to say. Sadly my doggie died nearly 4 years ago, i since have a rescue dog who I don't have this problem with.

My suggestion would be every time he does it just immediately get up, don't speak or make eye contact and just put the dog out of the room, either by ushering him out of taking him by the collar (not roughly of course), leave him out for about 10/20 secs and back in, keep repeating this until finally he should get the message, it may take many many times of putting him out of the room but it should work. I'm sure others will have other suggestions. By the way I'm not an expert or qualified, just a dog lover so I stand to be corrected on this!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

My dog barks at the telly everytime a dog, cow or horse comes on, even cartoon ones(i'd love to know how he can tell cartoon dogs from ducks or cats etc) or the churchill insurance dog:o.
    He doesn't bark at horses, or cats and apparently loves meercat manor(watches intently and in silence).

I have yet to find a way to stop this, I just use the hush, good dog, just as I do when he barks at knocking on the door. (pretty much stops it)
    He's 2 years old and this has been going on since he was young, the other dog will grumble quietly to herself at the dogs and cows too, she's a year.
    Its a pain when you're watching a something and the dog barks or growls at the telly, but I don't think it will ever stop entirely, it has improved.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭antomagoo

kiersm wrote: »
    Hey all, I'm looking for a bit of help I have 2 dogs, an 18 month old Cavalier King Charles & a 6 month old Cavalier/Yorkie cross. My problem is that my Cavalier is barking at the TV anytime another animal comes on or when he sees certain colours or shadows appear on the screen.

We have tried verbally correcting him (which made matters worse), then tried ignoring him which improved him SLIGHTLY but he's still does it a lot. Anyone know of any way to stop this. I dont want to stop him barking all the time just at the tv.

Thanks

Anytime he barks at the TV correct him and if he doesnt stop remove him from the room and put him somewhere on his own for about half a minute or so before bringing him back in . If he barks again remove him again and so on untill eventually he gets the message that barking at the TV will result in being isolated from everyone else, might take a while depending on how quick he is in picking things up. You'll have to use a command everytime you go to remove him from the room, something like "too bad"

Advertisement