Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Balcony door is stuck!!

• 06-09-2010 5:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Im having a bit of trouble with my balcony door, its one of those doors you can either crack a bit open by moving the handle half way up and then open the whole way by moving handle the whole way up, pretty standard i think.

Anyway, long story short, had a few friends over the other night and one of them manged to close the door, ie get the handle fully down, without the door closing properly. The top hinge that usually disconnects when cracked is still out aswell, and its not fully closed at the top either, i cant move the handle really at all to get it open, its completly jammed.

Ive tried to force the hande up so i can get the door moving again but i dont want to break the handle either. Im sure this must happen to people all the time, and i dont particularly want to pay a locksmith to come out, so any advice greatly appreciated? Should i use brute force, or can i take the handle off and move it that way? Thanks!:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,620 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Im not sure about your particular problem, but I have found a good first resort is to spray all moving parts with the kind of oil spray that has a tube on it to direct it into hinges, locks etc. Leave it for a bit then try and move (fairly gently) all the moveable bits till the oil penetrates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

When you're moving the handle, try bashing the door to see if you can knock something and get it open. Not in the wallop the door hard sense, but a bash bash bash sort of way that will send some vibrations through the door if you get my drift. You never know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

I think you are going to have to force it.

Your door is in bad need of realignment after you get it open, which is simple to do with an allen key.(usually)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭altor

sifletch wrote: »
    Im having a bit of trouble with my balcony door, its one of those doors you can either crack a bit open by moving the handle half way up and then open the whole way by moving handle the whole way up, pretty standard i think.

Anyway, long story short, had a few friends over the other night and one of them manged to close the door, ie get the handle fully down, without the door closing properly. The top hinge that usually disconnects when cracked is still out aswell, and its not fully closed at the top either, i cant move the handle really at all to get it open, its completly jammed.

Ive tried to force the hande up so i can get the door moving again but i dont want to break the handle either. Im sure this must happen to people all the time, and i dont particularly want to pay a locksmith to come out, so any advice greatly appreciated? Should i use brute force, or can i take the handle off and move it that way? Thanks!:confused:

Its a tilt and turn door. There should be a catch on the top of the door that releases the door depending on the type installed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 sifletch

That sounds promising, thanks!! Where about is the catch i can feel something at the top of the door but nothing moveable?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 anthonykevin

had the same problem door was barley hanging on at the top. Paid 150 euro for an idiot to fix he screwed the door closed and said he would get back to me never heard from him again. seen a guy working on apartment across the courtyard asked him to have a look he gave me a price it took a week to get parts he changed the door to a normal opening type have not had a problem since I could ask if i can post his number if you like did not cost a fortune
    :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 137 ✭✭kitser

if you're in dublin pm me and i'll sort it out for you. but don't go bashing anything or you might really mess up the locking mechanism. tilt and turn doors and party's don't go well together. most people have never seen them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 gaudy

ive had the same problem but as one poster said above there sxhud be a moveable part at the top,in my one tho the part was at the bottom.have a look there

Advertisement