Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which ebook reader is best???

• 06-09-2010 5:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭

OK OK I know there are loads of sites on this, but i haven't found a (recent) good site to review whats out there in terms of ebook readers and places them side by side. Also - has anyone had a chance to try out the new Kindle 3?
    And I know the term 'best' is really about personal choice, but for me, the main things i'd like in an ebook reader is the ability to be able to work with as many different file types as possible (i dont like the thought of something proprietary that only reads books bought in its own store or whatever, i'd prefer it can read as many different file types as possible, pdf, doc, etc). other than that, wifi would be good, 3G irrelevant, internet browsing handy but not really essential. I would also be wondering about things like how well it works in Ireland - a friend mentioned that she thought she heard something about the kindle store not being available in Ireland (sorry if this is total fiction, she wasn't too sure)
    So any suggestions anyone? Thanks in advance :-)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

Kindle 3 is amazing. I have mine a week or so. You could download loads of books same way people download movies and use a piece of software called Calibre to push them on to your device. I recommend mobileread.com forums for all the info you'll need about ebook readers.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭jcrowbar

Swampy wrote: »
    Kindle 3 is amazing. I have mine a week or so. You could download loads of books same way people download movies and use a piece of software called Calibre to push them on to your device. I recommend mobileread.com forums for all the info you'll need about ebook readers.

+1 on this.

The new Kindle is fantastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Skinback

Puteq wrote: »
    OK OK I know there are loads of sites on this, but i haven't found a (recent) good site to review whats out there in terms of ebook readers and places them side by side. Also - has anyone had a chance to try out the new Kindle 3?
    And I know the term 'best' is really about personal choice, but for me, the main things i'd like in an ebook reader is the ability to be able to work with as many different file types as possible (i dont like the thought of something proprietary that only reads books bought in its own store or whatever, i'd prefer it can read as many different file types as possible, pdf, doc, etc). other than that, wifi would be good, 3G irrelevant, internet browsing handy but not really essential. I would also be wondering about things like how well it works in Ireland - a friend mentioned that she thought she heard something about the kindle store not being available in Ireland (sorry if this is total fiction, she wasn't too sure)
    So any suggestions anyone? Thanks in advance :-)

i'm delighted with my new Sony P600.
    It just does the job quietly and efficiently and I genuinely forget its a gadget and not a book while reading.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

I was just going to post a question about whether or not the kindle 3 is any good, thanks folks, saved me a job.

As i am a complete noob to e-books i have some q's re the kindle 3, can i download books from any e-book site?

Sorry for hijaking post OP but i hope any reply i get might help you too..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Never used a kindle,

I have the sony pocket e-reader as i wanted an e-reader not a gadget. I have plenty of gadgets, i get my e-books off waterstones and sometimes off whsmiths but i find their site very very slow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭PaulieBoy

The new kindle is as said fantastic. Someone saw my one and within no time they were on the net ordering one. If sells itself!
    Kindle book store works perfect in Ireland, it handles any format I've thrown at it, not one thing I can fault this thing on.
    Also the price for mine with WiFi only - no 3G- including shipping and VAT worked out at 150 Euro, a bargain!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

I have the sony pocket e-reader as i wanted an e-reader not a gadget.

What is the difference?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭GBX

PaulieBoy wrote: »
    The new kindle is as said fantastic. Someone saw my one and within no time they were on the net ordering one. If sells itself!
    Kindle book store works perfect in Ireland, it handles any format I've thrown at it, not one thing I can fault this thing on.
    Also the price for mine with WiFi only - no 3G- including shipping and VAT worked out at 150 Euro, a bargain!

Did delivery take long for yours? I take it you ordered it from the amazon.com site?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭PaulieBoy

GBX wrote: »
    Did delivery take long for yours? I take it you ordered it from the amazon.com site?
    Yes ordered from Amazon and it took about 10 working days or so.
    By which time I had a gazillion PDF's awaiting it's arrival :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Think delivery times are down to about 2 days now.

• Advertisement

Does the Kindle 3 support all file formats for e-books?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Mactard wrote: »
    What is the difference?

Its only for reading books, no extras. no internet/wi-fi. No keypad. NO music.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 242 ✭✭calum

My wife's in the market for an ebook reader as well... she knows the Kindle is the 'best', but she really hates the idea of having a physical keyboard on it, and that she can't try one out before she buys it. For that reason she's edging towards the Sony 650, which seems to have fixed most of the problems that the 600 had. But the lack of WiFi on the Sony has her in two minds about that, too.

Has anyone used any of the less popular ebook readers available in Ireland, and have any comment on those? In particular, she's seen good reviews of the BeBook Neo, but it seems to be impossible to find any high street shops in Dublin that sell anything other than the Sonys to play with and compare.

I ordered a Kindle 3 from Amzon today, 143 euro after shipping etc. That's excellent value if thet are as good as people say they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭sombaht

Calum,
    I just received my Kindle yesterday and to be honest you're really not that aware of the keyboard when reading. It's almost flush with the Kindle itself and quite unobtrusive.
    As for trying it before you buy, well yeah it would be nice but this time you can believe the hype, reading on the kindle just has to be experienced, the display is phenomenal, so crisp and clear, and the unit itself is so light you really could hold it for hours on end and not tire.
    If your wife is still in two minds as to which to go for push for the Kindle she wont be disappointed.

Cheers,
    sombaht

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Hocker

Kindle looks pretty good, I was actually thinking of getting one.

Got my Kindle today, it's amazing!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Dubba

Kindle G3 is a top piece of kit me thinks :pac:

It also only took me 1 minute to download 20 books from Amazon.com. I ordered them when i was out of range of the wi-fi signal. When i got in range they came through almost instantly! One click buy is class.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 niall2701

I thought the Kindle could only read kindle books? Thats why I bought the Sony prs-650 which I love.

• Advertisement

niall2701 wrote: »
    I thought the Kindle could only read kindle books? Thats why I bought the Sony prs-650 which I love.

From kindle site:

Kindle (AZW), TXT, PDF, Audible (Audible Enhanced (AA, AAX)), MP3, unprotected MOBI, PRC natively; HTML, DOC, JPEG, GIF, PNG, BMP through conversion.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Jowls

niall2701 wrote: »

Isnt the Kindle DRM-locked as well? I had heard you're stuck with Amazon content - so if you buy the books now for the Kindle, there's no way to move them to a new device in the future, or lend them to someone else. Maybe Im wrong on that though?

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭galwayguy85

To the previous poster...

The solution to this original posters problem is to create an amazon.co.uk account, if he or she doesn't have one already. Goto the 'Kindle' section of the store, and somewhere along the top of the screen is a link to another page where you can manage your Kindle account. In here you'll find the option to change your county setting from the default, 'Ireland' , to 'United Kingdom' instead. You'll be prompted for an address, but you can pretty much make up ANY address so long as there is a valid postcode to go with it. Just google 'UK postcode example' for ideas. This has worked for me.

If you have a PC, you can now elect to download the Kindle book titles at UK prices to your computer/laptop and read them off the screen using the Kindle PC reader application. You can also follow the guide at http://nyquil.org/archives/1235-Converting-Amazon-Kindle-For-PC-Books-Now-Possible.html that will let you decouple the DRM from the book and then easily convert to a format that a Sony device will work with, using software called Calibre.

*I think you need to be using an older version of the Kindle PC app to get this hack to work. Try googling 'Kindle PC old version'. You wouldn't be losing an enormous amount of functionality by using a slightly older version, don't worry.*

Using this method, you'll save a lot of money off the cost of buying books from amazon's competitors at ridiculously over-inflated prices and still enjoy on your favourite device.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭quazzy

Kindle + Calibre = :)

Only have mine a week and i think its brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭ROS123

anyone using ipad and apple book store, or ipad with kindle app?

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Yelnahs

hey guys,

I went to order my Wireless (no 3g) Kindle today and it says it won't be shipped until February so I cancelled out of the transaction.

Am I missing something here? I tried to buy it off amazon.co.uk and it told me to go to the US site which I did and the above happened...

Any ideas?

Thanks.

sombaht wrote: »
    If your wife is still in two minds as to which to go for push for the Kindle she wont be disappointed.
    She wasn't even really in two minds, she was pretty much dead set against the Kindle ever since she saw somebody on a train with one! She's since bought the Sony 650 (the bigger of the two Sony readers) and loves it.

Yelnahs wrote: »
    Am I missing something here? I tried to buy it off amazon.co.uk and it told me to go to the US site which I did and the above happened...

Any ideas?
    No idea, I just stuck one in my basket on the UK site no problem, and it said they're in stock and would be dispatched from Amazon EU S.a.r.L. (Obviously wasn't going to go ahead and complete the transaction though...)

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Yelnahs

calum wrote: »
    No idea, I just stuck one in my basket on the UK site no problem, and it said they're in stock and would be dispatched from Amazon EU S.a.r.L. (Obviously wasn't going to go ahead and complete the transaction though...)

Thanks for trying. I did that myself and then when I clicked confirm and pay or whatever it said I get the following...

kindleu.jpg

Do you have to buy it from the states? Seems a bit backwards...

• Advertisement

Yelnahs wrote: »
    Thanks for trying. I did that myself and then when I clicked confirm and pay or whatever it said I get the following...
    Ah, so they won't ship a UK one to Ireland -- hadn't noticed the big "Live outside the UK?" bit on the UK product page. Does seem a bit odd, possibly something to do with licensing, although I don't know why a US one would be okay in that case. Maybe you just need to find a UK address you could have it shipped to, although then I guess you'd want to confirm that the UK ones actually work here first...

Advertisement