Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which ebook reader is best???

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Art_Wolf

PeakOutput wrote: »
    is there a reason that no1 seems to talk about the nook over here?

Just got the NookColor actually - very nice but I would recommend holding off for a few months as they iron out a few minor bugs and get their Android App market off the ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

How did you get the Nook Color?
    I am hoping to get one soon, so I am very interested in your first impressions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

Art_Wolf wrote: »
    Just got the NookColor actually - very nice but I would recommend holding off for a few months as they iron out a few minor bugs and get their Android App market off the ground.

think this is what im getting for mybirthday gave details of the nook and kindle to my uncle and pretty sure he got the nook cause you could get it in a bricks and mortar store

i like the sony ones too but i think id prefer to have page change buttons on the side which i havnt seen on the sony readers

kindle was my first choice simply becuase it seemed to be what everyone was getting but i did always prefer the look of the nook with the two screens

not too pushed about the nook colour as i have a desktop a smartphone and a laptop so have more then enough portable computing so this is purely for reading

i heard the latest firmware 3.4 i think has fixed most of the bugs?

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Zymurgist

Can the nook be ordered internationally yet? or is it still only available to US customers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Art_Wolf

fenris wrote: »
    How did you get the Nook Color?
    I am hoping to get one soon, so I am very interested in your first impressions.

Living in Boston :)

Really nice interface - the magazine format especially. Having no problem reading books and there is a nice feature of highlight words and doing dictionary/wikipedia and google lookups on them plus adding notes/bookmarks.

The ability to download your own pdfs and books to it was a huge pro for me, though hopefully they will update the pdfs to have more of the functionality that their books have.

• Advertisement

got the nook wifi last week finished 3 books already and its seriously helpfull for college papers love it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I have a nook myself and really like it.

The look and 'feel' of it is much nicer than the kindle in my mind. but the kindle 3 has double the battery life which is worth keeping in mind. The nook is also not the brightest e-reader around.

But i'd definately recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Deeco

where did you guys get your nook?

can it be got in Ireland?

Deeco wrote: »
    where did you guys get your nook?

can it be got in Ireland?

no idea sorry my uncle brought it home with him from new york

there are a few services on the net that allow you to order things have them sent to their location and they forward it onto you, you would have to google it though to find specifics

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

I love the fact that my Nook runs the kindle app!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 shelly86

hi guys..i know very little about e readers.. id like to get a simple one that i can read books on and music would be an added bonus. price wise im at the lower end of the scale.
    also i have a few short stories on my laptop saved as pdfs and can i transfer these onto e readers?
    thanks a million

• Registered Users Posts: 40 contraflow

I was re-directed to amazon US like others on this thread when trying to purchase the kindle thru shopireland.ie, which took me to amazon UK, then finally to amazon US [v poor frm amazon all round for creating this frustrating path, which you only realise you are on when you have logged in and proceeded to the final purchase screen].

Once finally at the US purchase screen, having navigated 20 or so screens and logged in twice, I see they have added a €21 import tax.

Needless to say I didn't buy. Think I'll be swerving amazon for a while. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

Has there been any developments with Sony or Nook availability in Ireland?

I've just started looking for an ereader, thanks to the previous posters that explained how to bring non-drm books into kindle with Calibre, I wonder if that moght be the best option right now. I just don't want to get stuck in a situation where I can't give away the ebooks I buy, like any other book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Tiesto

I need to buy an ebook for my sister and I couldnt be bothered going to the hassle of sourcing a kindle using one of the mail forwarding companies in the U.S

If I was to buy one that is actually available to Irish addresses on amazon.co.uk, can anyone suggest any medium range options?

I found this Sony one for 74 pounds..
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-Reader-Edition-Digital-Electronics/dp/B002PLO5RQ/ref=sr_1_9?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1338241955&sr=1-9
    Any ideas if its any good?

thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 339 ✭✭duffman85

You can buy the Kindle direct from Amazon.com -they ship to Ireland and you only pay VAT(no other import duties).

Alternatively, you can buy it in Currys/PC World/Tesco/Argos for €109

The Sony you linked to was released in 2009 and £74 is about €92.
    It also has a slightly smaller screen, 5" to the Kindle's 6", no wifi connection and no memory card slot(kindle doesn't have one either.

The equivalent Sony reader (http://www.sony.ie/product/rd-reader-ebook/tab/models) is about €150 and has a touch screen

Also the newer models would have screens with better contrast/sharpness.

I found this website useful: www.mobileread.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Tiesto

duffman85 wrote: »
    You can buy the Kindle direct from Amazon.com -they ship to Ireland and you only pay VAT(no other import duties).

Alternatively, you can buy it in Currys/PC World/Tesco/Argos for €109

The Sony you linked to was released in 2009 and £74 is about €92.
    It also has a slightly smaller screen, 5" to the Kindle's 6", no wifi connection and no memory card slot(kindle doesn't have one either.

The equivalent Sony reader (http://www.sony.ie/product/rd-reader-ebook/tab/models) is about €150 and has a touch screen

Also the newer models would have screens with better contrast/sharpness.

I found this website useful: www.mobileread.com

thats great man ,thanks for all the info.
    I didnt know the kindle could be bought in the shops here
    in that case, i'll check out argos.

thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

The current one for 109 is probably has the best screen of them all. I tried an older one from a clearance sale but wasn't impressed with the screen.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,336 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

I too was considering a sony ereader. What is the current situation with buying books? I understand I can buy from many sources ibut must use a PC and copy the files to the device. Has there been any movement on the ability to buy books directly on the ereader (as with the kindle)? I noticed that while many complained there was only a US & Canadian reader store, there is a UK store now too. In Ireland can we buy from the UK store or is that restricted?

Some might ask why not just buy a kindle and the reason I am considering the sony over the kindle is;
    1) I heard it handles pdf files better and I have a lot of technical books on pdf that I would like to have access to on the device.
    2) ePub. There are only a few Irish libraries listed currently but I can see this becoming more and more common and the ability to borrow a book from the local library (via the web) is very appealing.

the ease of buying the ebooks seems to be the one downside... is this still the case?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 242 ✭✭calum

croo wrote: »
    I too was considering a sony ereader. What is the current situation with buying books? I understand I can buy from many sources ibut must use a PC and copy the files to the device. Has there been any movement on the ability to buy books directly on the ereader (as with the kindle)? I noticed that while many complained there was only a US & Canadian reader store, there is a UK store now too. In Ireland can we buy from the UK store or is that restricted?
    My wife only has one of the last-gen Sony readers, which has no WiFi at all, but AFAIK the new ones don't have on-device purchases either. She mostly buys from Waterstones and kobo.com -- she likes the latter because they're usually a bit cheaper and have prices in euros, and IIRC she had to provide a UK address to buy from Waterstones (not a problem as she's from the UK!).

She wasn't aware of the Sony UK store until now, so she hasn't tried it yet...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭femur61

With the Sony have you to load the books to your computer and then to the e-reader?

Also, I was wondering is their facilities on either to copy a sentance/phrase onto the reader for retreival at a later date?

• Advertisement
Advertisement