Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Women U 17 World Cup.

• 06-09-2010 5:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,951 ✭✭✭✭

Ireland kick off tonight against Brazil! Best of luck to the girls.
    The Republic of Ireland women's U17 side make history tomorrow (Monday), when they take on Brazil in the FIFA Women's U17 World Cup. It is the first ever FIFA World Cup appearance for a women's team in the Association's history and they will face South
    American Champions, Brazil at the Larry Gomes Stadium in Trinidad, tomorrow at 9pm (Irish time).

Ireland will face a tough task in their FIFA World Cup opener, facing the Brazilians who stormed to qualification to the finals, winning all six of their Conmebol Championship games, scoring 41 goals and conceding just three goals in the process. They concluded their South American Championship campaign by thrashing Chile 7-0 in the final. The Brazilians will be looking to erase the memory of their disappointing 2008 World Cup in New Zealand when they surprisingly failed to advance past the group phase. (Denise O'Sullivan - pictured right at Ireland's team hotel in Trinidad.)

Noel King's side go into the game in confident form following their successful training camp in Fort Lauderdale, Florida where they played two games against World Cup finalists, Trinidad and Tobago and New Zealand. While the ‘Girls in Green' were defeated 3-0 by a tricky Trinidad and Tobago team, the Irish bounced back in spectacular fashion by coming from behind against New Zealand to win 2-1.

Speaking ahead of the teams opening World Cup game, Noel King said, "This is a very exciting time for everybody involved in Irish women's football. It is the first ever FIFA Women's World Cup appearance for an Irish women's team at any level and to be facing a team of Brazil's stature is what World Cups are all about. Obviously, Brazil have to be one of the favourites for this tournament. They have won every game in qualifying for this tournament so we will have to be at our very best if we are to challenge them in this group. As a team, we are taking every game as it comes - it would be an extraordinary outcome if we were to get a positive result against the South American champions. You just have to look back on our European Championship campaign - nobody gave us a chance to qualify for the UEFA Finals let alone the FIFA World Cup but the team have shown tremendous resilience, skill and strength to come this far and I know that they will be eager to perform to the best of their abilities on this world stage," he said.

"Historically, Brazil are without doubt the most exciting team in world football at every level. When you go to a World Cup as a player, Brazil are the first team that you would choose to play against and pit yourselves against some of the most exciting players on the world stage. Expectations for our team have heightened following our European Championship campaign but I don't think that we should be classed as favourites for the tournament with teams such as Brazil, Spain, Germany, North and South Korea all leading the way at this level. The attitude of our girls is fantastic, they realise that there is a sense of heightened expectation for the World Cup at home and abroad and while we may not be a favourite for the tournament, none of the girls know their limitations or fear any team in this competition. They will go into every game with confidence that they can perform against the best teams in the world," he added.

FIFA Women's U17 World Cup - Group 4 Fixtures

Republic of Ireland v Brazil
    Monday, September 6
    Larry Gomes Stadium, Trinidad
    Kick-off: 4pm (local time)

Republic of Ireland v Canada
    Thursday, September 9
    Larry Gomes Stadium, Trinidad
    Kick-off: 4pm (local time)

Republic of Ireland v Ghana
    Monday September 14
    Dwight Yorke Stadium, Tobago
    Kick-off: 7pm (local time)

You can watch it online at 9pm tonight on the FIFA website.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,951 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Brazil scored after 4 mins. Didn't see it myself so can't comment on it.

We've have struggled to get possession but we've just had a good attacking move there with the ball going over the bar.

:eek: Sweet Jesus!

Meghan Campbell has got a throw that Rory Delap would be fierce ****ing proud of!

Talking to myself here but anywhoo...

Maloney just made an A+++++ save! From point blank range and all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Ahem, why are you not on FID?:P

Best of luck to the girls!

baz2009 wrote: »
    Ahem, why are you not on FID?:P

Best of luck to the girls!

:D
    I had football training and the website won't load for me at all! Serious problems with it all day today!

We've had a couple of great free kicks swung in but we're very, very slow to react to the loose ball. The girls could do with better positioning...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

We're winning 2-1.:D

Are the Brazilians like their male counterparts?

The microphone is picking up everything out on the pitch. King is giving out shtink about the ref!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭1mcampo1

Is it Gileen? on the left wing? seems to be getting the better of the brazilian right full...

1mcampo1 wrote: »
    Is it Gileen? on the left wing? seems to be getting the better of the brazilian right full...

Siobhán Killeen. Yeah it is. She's doing well, getting a lot of free kicks out of her when she gets on the ball.

baz2009 wrote: »
    We're winning 2-1.:D

Are the Brazilians like their male counterparts?

Keep it up! I still can't get onto the site. :mad:

Ahm, they are neat but not over extravagant.

• Advertisement

mars bar wrote: »
    Siobhán Killeen. Yeah it is. She's doing well, getting a lot of free kicks out of her when she gets on the ball.

oh right, my bad! i'd say the heat is something terrible!

nearly two nil as im typing!

oh right, my bad! i'd say the heat is something terrible!

nearly two nil as im typing!

It was much hotter earlier on. It's cooled a little but from our girls perspective, it's probably still far too hot!

We got lucky that the Brazilian girl wasn't too tall, or that would have been in the net.

It was much hotter earlier on. It's cooled a little but from our girls perspective, it's probably still far too hot!

We got lucky that the Brazilian girl wasn't too tall, or that would have been in the net.

Did the commentator say it was around 30 degrees?

Yeah, id say if she had her hair up she would of scored!

Did the commentator say it was around 30 degrees?

Yeah, id say if she had her hair up she would of scored!

Yeah it was 30 degrees at some stage in the day! It's only 4pm there so it's still fairly hot...

Just saw the Brazil goal. Very nice piece of skill to set it up!

Yeah it was 30 degrees at some stage in the day! It's only 4pm there so it's still fairly hot...

Just saw the Brazil goal. Very nice piece of skill to set it up!

yep, neat little finish too

We're just not technical or intelligent enough on the ball.

true. i dunno how tall we are, but we really should be making the most out of set pieces

true. i dunno how tall we are, but we really should be making the most out of set pieces

GGGOOOOAAALLLL!!!

****ing fantastic goal from Siobán Killeen!

Kinda like Keith Fahey's goal the last night...

...missed it :rolleyes:

****e. 2 - 1 Brazil from a corner that there was no real need to concede in the first place...

• Advertisement

quality finish though

quality finish though

Yeah very nice! But the goals are so big that these type of goals are quite common. Spain's (dubiously) disallowed goal against us in the Euro Elite Cup Final was like that too...

AGH! Why do our girls feel the need to boot the ball out over the line at every chance?!

Whoah. That was pretty frantic in our box!

Ah Gorman. Why didn't ya take it on yourself?! Shoulda been a goal for us...

We lose far too much possession in the middle of the park when there is little to no pressure on us.

nice play there alright

is that a straight swap or where do they play, do you know?

is that a straight swap or where do they play, do you know?

I'm not too sure to be honest. From seeing matches before, Jarrett is a striker.

3 mins to claw back a point...

• Advertisement

are brazil the holders? if they are, not bad considering...

just saw the irish goal, a top drawer finish!

are brazil the holders? if they are, not bad considering...

No, Korea are the holders. They are a really good team at U21 level so they have some of the girls from that U17 team. It's only a really new competition held every second year. This is the second competition.

Oh right yeah. Well i'd say any Brazil team would be decent enough!

Was there qualifiers and all for the tournament?

Oh right yeah. Well i'd say any Brazil team would be decent enough!

Was there qualifiers and all for the tournament?

Yeah the Brazilians are fairly handy at it alright! They have a greater intelligence and flair on the pitch. Brazil = Ronaldo. Ireland = Fletcher!

They qualified by getting to the finals of the Euro Elite competition by beating Germany in the semi - final.

haha! yeah, real easy on the eye to watch!

what was the score in the final v spain?

• Advertisement

haha! yeah, real easy on the eye to watch!

what was the score in the final v spain?

It finished 0 0 and it went to penalties. The girls got a lesson in how to take a penalty from the Spanish as it finished 4 1!

It finished 0 0 and it went to penalties. The girls got a lesson in how to take a penalty from the Spanish as it finished 4 1!

actually think i watched that..! the spanish captain had mad hair altogether!

actually think i watched that..! the spanish captain had mad hair altogether!

Yeah I think you did watch it!

Yeah she had pretty crazy hair and she scored the goal that was disallowed.

must have missed the disallowed goal so...

will the fifa website be showing all the games or just the odd few?

must have missed the disallowed goal so...

will the fifa website be showing all the games or just the odd few?

I think they are showing them all if they aren't showing them on the Eurosport channel itself.

• Advertisement

nice one, might watch a few em so! cheers anyway for the heads up bout the whole thing!

nice one, might watch a few em so! cheers anyway for the heads up bout the whole thing!

No problem. At least I'm not talking to myself in here! :)

Germany are playing South Africa at the moment and it's half time.

The score?

9 - 1 to the Germans!

It finished 10 1...crappy second half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Bukman13

Ireland Kicking off against Canada now. A loss and they're effectively out!!!

Link: http://fifa2.feedroom.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭ColmDawson

Bukman13 wrote: »
    Ireland Kicking off against Canada now. A loss and they're effectively out!!!

Link: http://fifa2.feedroom.com/
    I've clicked on Ireland vs. Canada but it just plays the Spain-New Zealand match.:confused:

ColmDawson wrote: »
    I've clicked on Ireland vs. Canada but it just plays the Spain-New Zealand match.:confused:

Yea just click on the Spain V New Zealand Match, same happened to me.

Yeah happening to me too but it did that with the other match the last day too and it eventually came good. Be persistent!

Found it!

Click on the Spain v New Zealand link and the Ireland game is on that!

A draw here would be good, provided we beat Ghana next and Brazil win their two last games.

• Advertisement
Advertisement